pages

March 2, 2014

My Experience Studying Abroad In France.

let_me_cross_over_blog_blogger_how_to_get_the_most_out_of_your_experience_working_abroad_erasmus_letmecrossover_michele_mattos_exchange_program_studying_abroad_living_in_France_Nice_French_Riviera_travel_traveling_best_youtuber
Today I want to talk to you about my experience studying abroad in France. No matter how old you are or what you are doing with you life at the moment, there comes a time when you just need a change. It doesn't mean that you hate where you are or the people in your life. I am a firm believer that changing, usually (very important the "usually" here), brings something good and in that other saying: when one door closes another one opens.. or something like that.
      
To narrow it down to my life experience (not that I have lot of it, I'm just 21 years old), my time to change came 6 months ago. I was feeling like I hated everyone and everything, that nothing was working and that my life was not going anywhere.. (oooh, the joys of being in your twenties..)
      
So I started to think about what I should do. Get a job? Nooo, too much work and I'm still studying. "Break  up" with all my friends and get new ones? I don't like them very much right now, but I love them so much, so no. Change my degree? No way, I already put one and a half years of my life in this, I'm not changing now !
     
And then the idea came to me, why don't I try doing an exchange program? I always wanted to live abroad, I love traveling and I can't stand the city where I live anymore. Yes, I thought, that's what I'm going to do. And that's exactly what I did. I got in the website of my university looked at all their exchange programs and with a lot of bumps in the road, anxiety, fear, doubts and all that jazz.. I finally did it !
     
I got on a plane to Nice (South of France), alone, not sure if I had a place to live or if I was going to be homeless (because the lovely student's residence didn't answer my emails) and not speaking the french very well. But at least I had a friend that was going to meet me there so I wasn't completly alone. 
     
So my point with all of that blabbering is that, I know that changing is hard, but at least for me it was not just worth it, but completly necessary. And now that the experience is over and that I'm back safe and sound at home I can see that, honestly, studying abroad was the best time of life. Participating in the Erasmus program was very challenging, I had to learn a new language, make friends with people whose culture I didn't understand and just get the hang of living in a new city. It was unbelievably hard at first (let's just say that my mom put up with a lot of crying skype calls), but when I started to accept the things that were different and just roll with it, things got really really amazing.
     
My advice to people that are thinking about doing something similiar to this is: stop finding excuses and JUST DO IT. If you regret it (wich I think and hope you won't ) you can always go back home and pretend that it never happend !
let_me_cross_over_blog_blogger_how_to_get_the_most_out_of_your_experience_working_abroad_erasmus_letmecrossover_michele_mattos_exchange_program_studying_abroad_living_in_France_Nice_French_Riviera_
Have you ever studied abroad?
How was your experience?

Let's hang some more!

Thanks so much for reading and come back soon!
                                                                       
let_me_cross_over_blog_blogger_how_to_get_the_most_out_of_your_experience_working_abroad_erasmus_letmecrossover_michele_mattos_exchange_program_studying_abroad_living_in_France_Nice_French_Riviera_travel_traveling_best_youtuber

No comments:

Post a Comment