pages

March 12, 2014

Let's cross over : Cancun

First of all I need to say that the only reason I ended up there was because my mom didn't want me to stay six more months in France. And now you might be thinking : ooooh poor you, you were obliged to go to Cancun and to stay on white sand beaches sipping margaritas ! 
Believe me, I am not complaining about it ! I just wanted to explain that it was a family trip and that it was entirely and completely not planned (or paid) by me. Thanks, Dad ! 

To explain the whole trip, we started in Cancun, stayed 5 days there and then we went to Orlando, my favorite city in the world - but let's not get into that right now, in this post I'm only focusing in the Mayan Riviera. 




To begin with, we stayed in the Krystal Resort - A M A Z I N G ! The resort has everything you (or at least me) want. They have a huge swimming pool, two bars, little beds on the beach where you can relax (don't know the name of those), two restaurants and A SUSHI BAR ! (yes, I really like sushi). The hotel is right on the beach and the rooms have wonderful views, even the room that I shared with my sister had an incredible view of the beach and it wasn't the front view one. I'm gonna put here the link if you want to check it out : http://www.krystal-hotels.com/


view front my parent's room. And you can see the little beds that I was talking about !
The beach in front of our Hotel. 

Another important thing is that the hotel is very well located, in the Resort area where the majority of the hotels are and in the other side of the street you can find an amazing and cheap place where you can buy quesadillas. 

Now talking about the food, Krystal has an all inclusive package where, as the name says, all your meals are included and you can eat as much as you want to. But, as amazing as it sounds, we didn't get that. My dad said that the reviews on booking were not very good so we decided to have our meals outside, wich was very good because we discovered some incredible restaurants and also we did a lot of excursions so we wouldn't be able to eat there anyway. 

Enough about the hotel, let's talk about the city. So, the turist part of Cancun it looks just like Orlando, Florida (maybe that's why I loved it so much). It has very big avenues, with Resorts and restaurants everywhere. They have Hard Rock, Chilis, Outback, Walmart, Subway, Dominos.. you get what I'm trying to say here. 

But since we were trying to experience a little of the culture there (confession: we ate at Chilis and went to Walmart) we did our best to stay away from those. We ate in one of the restaurants with the best view I have ever seen, called Mocambo and to some not very fancy one like the quesadilla place that I mentioned before but I totally recommend it (good mexican food for 11 pesos - but just keep in mind that 1 dollar buys 11/12 pesos). 

Something that not many people talk about in Cancun are the malls. As big shopaholic I find that very interesting. We went to two malls there and they did not disappoint. And also they have all kinds of stores, local ones and big names like Victoria's Secret, Pull and Bear (I bought a very cute top there for 15 dollars), Prada (if you are feeling rich) and a bounch of different ones.

Outside of the Resort area we only when to the center of the city. To go there you can take a taxi (extremely expensive) or the bus. As I think you can guess, we took the bus. It was very cheap (I think it was 9.50 pesos) and organized, I didn't feel like it was dangerous or anything, and that's something that I always pay attention to (I'm from Brazil people, come on ! - I love my country don't get me wrong). About the center, I didn't really liked. I didn't feel like there was much to see there, although some friends told me that there are some very good restaurants there, maybe we just didn't do our homework on Cancun very well. 

Next on my list are the excursions. Our hotel offered a lot of them, but if want to rent a car and go on you own it's possible, but going with the van and the tour guide it's always better and less stress (vacation is our relaxing time)..  So because I was the one that just wanted to be on the beach with a very big drink on my hand, my sister was the one worrying about where we were going and although she wanted to go everywhere, my mom sayed that she could pick two (Boy, those things are expensive !). Our chosen destinations were Tulum and Chichen Itza (Chicken Pizza as my family calls it).  

First we went to Chichen Itza. I think that is the most famous one, is the first place that comes in my mind when people talk about the mayas. It's a beautiful place but the only problem was that there was no place to sit and it was unbelievaly hot (serious, I felt like I was melting). If you are interested in going there I would suggest going with a tour guide, because otherwise you are just going to be there melting and looking at some rocks. 









Our second destination was Tulum. People usually are more interested in the history of the place and everything (it used to be a mayan city). But for me what I was most excited about the place that we were going after. I don't know how to explain it but I'm going to put the pictures below wich is very self explanatory. 


The beach at Tulum.


The Mayan city of Tulum
The place that we went after, is like a cave where you can swin. It's called Cenote and the picture doesn't do it justice.  

Now, last but definately not least (in my opinion the best part actually), the night life. Guys, believe me when I say that you have never experienced anything like it, not even Vegas (trust me, I've been there). We only went to one night club but you don't need to go inside most of them to check them out because they are all opened and you can see everybody going really crazy. The one that we went to I think is the most famous one and it's called COCO BONGO




Outside view of Coco Bongo.

Let me just take some time here to talk about that night. My whole family went together (me, mom, dad and big sister) and it was open bar (equals disaster). And let me tell you something, their open bar is good. They have everything you want to drink and I wanted to drink everything. Besides the bar, the club is absolutely amazing. People dancing on the top of the bar, they have shows every 15 min, people coming down the ceiling, Beetlejuice was there, seriously if you are in Cancun you have to go. And I mean everybody, me and my sister thought we were going to be the only ones there with our parents, but we were so very wrong ! 

So, with all those activities our time in Mexico went very fast. Over all our trip was fantastic. And to end this very long post I want to say a few more things. 

1) Find a hotel in the Resort area. You may think that staying in the center is better (and if you're feeling more adventurous problably it is), but at least of us it wasn't the best option, and I think that if it's a family trip you really should stay there. And you can always get the buses if you want to move around more. 

2) Get ready for the sun. Trust me, the sun there is no joke. I saw some really red tourists (that used to be white) walking around.

3) Go get you some comfortable clothes. I know that everybody wants to look cute in the pictures but, especially if you are going to the excursions, try to be as comfortable as you can because you'll be walking all day in the sun. 

4) Experience the night life. Even if you don't really enjoy clubs at least try to go to Coco Bongo because it is more of a show than a night club and even my boring sister was having a lot of fun. 

5) Be careful with the taxis. Everybody that we asked about the taxis told us to get the buses. 

And I think that's it ! I know that I didn't talk about eveything that there is to do in the city but I tried to focus on our experience. I hope this was helpful if you are planning your next vacation and if you have any doubts or suggestions please comment below and I'll answer them the best way I can. 

Have a wonderful day ! 
                                                           Michele Mattos

No comments:

Post a Comment