pages

August 13, 2014

21 Things Every 21 year-old Girl Should Know.




As the day I'll be turning 22 approaches I've been thinking a lot about all the things that I've learned from my past years of existence. I can honestly say that my life is nowhere near as I pictured it would be when I was younger. 

Not that my life sucks at the moment, but let's just say that when I was 13 I used to think that by the time I turned 18 I'd be living with my friends in an amazing condo, driving a BMW and going to Las Vegas every weekend. 

So to begin this post I have to start with..


#1. BE REALISTIC 

Nowadays it gets harder and harder to be realistic when you can go on Taylor Swift's instagram and see that a 22 year-old is indeed going to Las Vegas as much as she pleases (with her own money) while you're busting your ass to get a university diploma and after a good job and you'll never make as much money as she does. Maybe you can become a millionaire (I really hope you do) but let's just say that the odds are not in your favor. 

I mean, not everybody can be a rock star. Some of us are just regular, and there's nothing wrong with that. Actually, regular is pretty good. 

#2. DON'T BE ASHAMED OF FOLLOWING YOUR DREAMS

Because nobody pays your bills. Maybe your parents do, but if they are ok with you pursuing a acting, singing, dancing, designing career go for it. I'm 100% sure you'll regret it if you don't and there's no better time than your twenties to follow your dreams. 

After that life starts getting harder, you're gonna have kids, more responsibilities and bla bla bla.. So if you want to start that Youtube channel or that clothing line go for it. 

If that doesn't work out at least you're still young to go on a different path. 

#3. GO OUT WITH YOUR FRIENDS

As you start to work having time for your friends becomes harder and harder. So don't forget them. Give them a call or send a message on whatsapp. Better yet make a weekly or monthly rendez-vous like Margarita Thursday or Sunday Brunch. 

#4. DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK 

People are gonna judge you no matter what so you might as well do what the f*ck you want. They will always find something to criticize or to make fun of, may it be your clothes, your boyfriend, your job, your blog, your dog..  

If it makes you happy, go for it. 

#5. ENJOY THE PRESENT BUT THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE

It's very easy to get caught up in the party life and forget about the future. Especially when you go to college and your parents are far away and every night there's something going on. But you have to find a balance. I know it's hard but you have to. 

#6. PUT YOURSELF FIRST MORE OFTEN

That's the time of your life to be a little selfish. Do as many things as you want to and discover yourself.  

#7. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME IN BAD RELATIONSHIPS

First of all, life is short. Second of all, what good it will bring you ? Surround yourself with balloon people, people that will lift you up. 

This good for  everybody, friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, classmates.. 

#8. BE NICE

Treat people as you'd like to be treated. This is something you should keep in mind for the rest of your life. 

#9. DON'T BE YOUR ENEMY

The world is already filled with people that will try to fill you up with doubt, make you insecure and bring you down. If you're not on your side, who will be ? 

#10. GO FOR THE NICE GUY 

And by nice I mean someone who will treat you well, support you, encourage you and inspire you to be a better person. 

If you start seeing any red flags, RUN. The red flags appear for a reason, don't ignore them. 

                                       #11. DRINK MORE WATER 

Because water is always a good idea. 

#12. READ MORE BOOKS 

Because they give you more culture than watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians. 

#13. TRAVEL

I can't express how much traveling is good for you. That's why I think you should read this post that I wrote a while ago. It says everything that I want to write here, but I don't want to write twice.   

#14. BE GOOD TO YOUR PARENTS 

Sometimes we forget that as we're getting older, they're also getting older. And as the years go by you'll see how much they did and still do for you. So don't forget to say thank you, I'm sorry and I love you.  

#15. WORK OUT 

Because working out can do no wrong and makes you live longer.

#16. SLEEP LESS 

Life is short. 

#17. CHOOSE YOUR DEGREE WISELY  

If don't have a established goal when you're going into university (like those people that always dreamed of being a doctor since forever) I would advice you to pick a degree according to the economy. 

So if you live in a country where finding a job is getting harder and harder don't pick Philosophy or Medieval Studies because who is gonna hire you ? 

If you decide to do it anyways, don't blame the government or the economy after. 

#18. HAVE A BLOG

Even if you don't plan on making it open to public and sharing your hopes and dreams with everybody on the internet (like me). It's still fun to document your life so you can see a few years later how your life was, what you were doing and what was important to you. 
#19. ALWAYS LOOK YOUR BEST 

I don't care if you're going to the supermarket to buy some nutella to eat while watching the new episode of Pretty Little Liars. You don't know who you're gonna meet. Maybe you see your boss, your ex-boyfriend, that cute guy from class or even worst.. what if you meet the love of your life wearing sweatpants ? 

#20. SHOP LESS

Spend your money wisely. Unfortunately we can't predict the future so you don't know how life is going to turn out.  

#21. DON'T MAKE STUPID TATTOOS 

I know that when you're on Spring Break doing that dolphin tattoo looks like a good idea, but trust me it isn't. 

A lot of enterprises don't like to hire people with tattoos so I'd say that if you really really really want it, make sure it's something very meaningful to you and that it's hidden. 


These are my words of wisdom of the day. I hope you enjoyed it. 

See you on the next on ! 

-Michele  

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...