pages

September 21, 2014

Feel Like Doing Nothing ? 9 Tips To Get You Motivated !



Did you ever have one of those where you just feel like doing nothing ? When nothing around you has the power to get your attention and get you to concentrate ? 

Well last Saturday was one of those days for me. I just felt like watching TV and stuffing my body with junk food. There's never a good day to be feeling like this, specially now that I have 1154 projects to finish for school, a blog and two very important exam that I decided to take (my certifications of English and French). 

And since I believe that everybody goes through those days I thought that it'd be helpful to share a couple of things that I do to turn things around and actually get things done. Maybe you won't get everything on track that day but at least it won't be complete waste of time. 


letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty

Actually my first advice would be start with an exercise. But let's face it, when you feel like doing nothing the last thing you want to do is go to the gym or for a run. So I think the best thing you can to cut off the laziness and get into a better mindset is to take a shower. 

It's gonna wake you up, make you feel better and get your brain working. And while you're in the shower take your time to shave your legs, do a hair mask or anything you do to treat yourself. It's already going to make you feel more productive because little things like shaving your legs are errands that also need to be done.
letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty
                            
Do whatever you do when you're getting ready for the day on the week days. In my case I like to take my time and do my make up and hair as well as put some presentable clothes. If you stay all day lounging around in your pajamas and with crazy hair you'll never feel like doing anything other than staying in bed watching Netflix. 

letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty

When my room/house is a complete mess (which happens way too often) I just feel overwhelmed, not motivated and grumpy. Your environment has a huge influence in your mood and your feeling so start cleaning.

I like to start with the room I'll be doing my work which is usually my room. So I just go and put away all my clothes and shoes, make my bed, clean my desk, separate the material I'll be using like books, notebooks, pens and all those things. 

You'll be surprise with the impact that a simple thing like organizing your room can have on your mood. It'll really boost your productivity. 

letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty

If organizing is out of the question and you really need to get things done I suggest going out to a library or a coffee shop and getting your work done there. You'll still have a messy house/room when you came back but at least you'll have finished your errands for the day and you can organize everything with more calm or just to it tomorrow.  

I also think that leaving the house for a while is really good to get you in the right mindset because sometimes your house is just too comfortable (#firstworldproblems) and with too many distractions to get you to concentrate on your to do list.    
letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty
I read somewhere (don't ask me where) that writing your errands down makes you more prone to actually doing it. I think this really helps because it puts in perspective everything that needs to be done and makes you feel guilty to just watch TV the entire day. That way you won't forget anything. 

So go ahead and write everything down on a piece of paper or go get yourself a planner or something.
letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty
I don't know where I got this tip from but I know it was from someone really successful, I want to say Oprah but I honestly can't remember. 

It's pretty self explanatory. When you're making your To Do List instead of writing for example DO A BLOG POST, you should divide the task in a couple of steps like : *Edit the pictures *Finish the writing *Link related links and so on..
This way you get that feeling of being productive more often which motivates you to keep going.

Sometime when a task takes so long to finish we tend to loose the motivation more quickly because the finish line is so far way that we just give up half way through.  
letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty
This is also pretty self explanatory. When you start with the easiest and fastest task you get the feeling of accomplishment fastest and that will motivate you too keep going. So if you have on your list DOING THE DISHES and WRITING AN ESSAY I think you should begin with the dishes because you'll get that done faster and the motivation of accomplishment will give you fuel to finish that freaking essay.  
                          letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty
In the days when you feel lazy and like doing nothing is important to take baby steps. If you start being hard on yourself and trying to get everything done ASAP, chances are you'll just go back to bed and curl up with your blanket. 

So just go easy. Try to do one thing at a time and reward yourself after. In my case I try to mix things that I really don't want to do with things that I really want to do. Let's say that I need to send a very important email that takes a long time to write, after I do that I reward myself with a couple of minutes of Youtube time. 
letmecrossover_blog_motivation_inspiration_study_tips_tricks_fashion_beauty
This is a very personal thing because everybody has their way or special things they do to find motivation. In my case, I do a little bit of everything. I go on Pinterest to find motivational quotes, I watch a couple of Youtube videos (commencement speeches are my favorites- check here and here and you'll not regret it) or just a couple of chapters of a inspirational book. Anythings counts.. 


What works for you ? How to you get motivated ? What did I miss ?

Please leave me your comments and suggestions. Your feedback is always incredibly helpful and I really could use your help on this topic !

I hope you liked this post and thanks so much reading ! 

-Michele Mattos. 





7 comments:

  1. OMG Story of my life right now! Ha ha! Today I put on a full face of makeup and got dressed like I was going to a meeting even though I wasn't going to leave the house. It totally helped. I've been doing major cleaning and reorganizing all day, which totally needed to happen. And yes, I'm doing it in a skirt, but also slippers!
    :) Alice
    www.alicemanfrida.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the story of everyone's life ! hahahah
      But if you're doing some major cleaning on your day off I'm very proud of you, Alice ! :)

      Thanks for the support !

      Delete
  2. Loved this post, these are always inspiring to read especially when you have lost all hope in organisation!! I need to start getting myself sorted too and definitely following your tips :) just bought myself a planner/diary to keep notes of dates and things to do and getting a healthier sleeping pattern and meal plans for the day xx

    www.krystelcouture.com | Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy my post gave you some inspiration ! A planner is the way too go if you're trying to be more organized !
      And also, good luck with your healthier life style !

      Delete
  3. Great post and I love it! Shower is definitely my first pick-me-up every day, it instantly gives me the boost I need to get my ass moving. LOL!

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Specially in the morning a shower totally wakes me up right away !

      Hope everything is going well with your move ! :)

      Delete
  4. Great post, i always make a to do list when i have alot of things to do :)
    http://emiliexnicoline.blogspot.dk/

    ReplyDelete