pages

September 12, 2014

What To Do In Your Gap Year.



In my head I've been brainstorming a lot about this topic. Being so close to finishing college (as I said a million times already) and having no idea of what I want to do with my life has really got me thinking that maybe I shouldn't commit to anything in particular and just explore myself and try to figure out which path I'm gonna take. 

I know that usually you take a "gap year" right out of high school, instead of going to college, right ? But since I didn't have that option back then (for my parents was always college or college), now that I have a little bit of money saved and I'm considered an adult the idea is becoming more and more appealing to me. 

And I decided to share with you guys what I would like to do if I took a Gap Year. I'm not saying that I will but it is a possibility. So if you're just as lost as me here are a few things that you could do to try to discover yourself and find out your path in life. 


Volunteer Work 



For me helping people is something very important and that I'm very passionate about. I don't want to get into religion here (because I could talk hours about that) but I believe that we are here in this Earth to help each other and that's why we run into people in ours lives, to make our lives better and with more meaning.

So if you're completely lost, making a difference in the world should give you guidance of what you want to do. It'll broader your perspectives and make you see that a lot of people are not even close to being as fortunate as you. And trust me, it'll be SO rewarding. Making a difference really changes you ! 

Another bight side of this option is that you can do it in your neighborhood, in your city, in your country or anywhere else in the world. My point is that you don't have to go to Africa to volunteer, I'm sure that there's plenty of people needing help just around the corner.  


Teaching 

You can do teaching as a volunteer but that's not the case that I'm making here. If you have any skills, know any languages or if you play any instruments teaching could be a good option for you. 

It'll deepen your knowledge in that area and also being around people who share the same interests as you as you're trying to figure out if that's a possible path you want to take in life is always a plus. 

In my case I've always been passionate about English and the whole culture behind so I thought that maybe teaching English would be a good way to see if that's something that I could be doing in the long term while also making some money and not just burning all my savings during my entire gap year. 

The good thing about teaching English or another language is that you could do it anywhere in the world and there are a lot programs and institutions that hire foreign teachers. In this globalized world people always need to learn a second language and in that way I think you can make a lot of money. 

I found this program to teach English in China that really caught my eye. I read about it this really great blog (Wonder Onwards - if you go there please make sure to tell her that I sent you.) and if it's someone you think you'd be interested you can read more about it here


Find Out What You Like



I don't know if you guys watched that movie with Julia Roberts called Runway Bride where Richard Gere founds out that Julia's character didn't really know who she was or what she liked so she just copied here fiances taste.. I don't know if you're getting what I'm trying to say here.. It's about that scene where she does her eggs in all the ways possible to figure out which one she likes the most. 

That scene really stuck with me and that's what I feel like doing but in a broader scale. I want to have a little taste of all the possible paths that I can see myself doing in the future so after I can just go and pick one. 

You can do that in a internship, taking some classes, going on workshops, applying for a exchange program or even in the comfort of your own home with your computer. But I would suggest going outside and meeting knew people.      

Go For Your Dream Career



I know a lot of people don't go for their dream careers because they're afraid of failing, worried about what people are gonna think or maybe they think it's too hard and they'll never make it. So in this "year off" I say go for it. If you want to be a model, actress/actor, designer, youtuber, blogger or own a pet shop I think you own it to yourself to at least try ! 

Take one year off your life, just one year (people are leaving until 100 these days) and put everything you've got inside of you in it and let's see how it works. I mean, you could fail miserably but at least you tried and you're never gonna be thinking what if.. And who knows.. it may work and you end up with the career of your dreams for the rest of your life. 


TRAVEL



If you know me at all you know that to me traveling is always a good idea. And you might be thinking like "I don't have money for that" and to that I respond "get a job". You could work your way trough the world getting some little gigs or temporary jobs here and there. 

I once met a couple in Amsterdam that was touring Europe for 2 years doing this. Getting temporary jobs at coffee shops, clothing stores, hostels, pubs, restaurants.. everything counts when your main goal is to see the world and not to build a savings account. 

As I said a million times, traveling opens your eyes to all the places you could live and all the lifestyles you could have. Sometimes when we are stuck in a rut and surrounded by people who are always doing the same thing you feel like that's the only way to go, and it really isn't. 

So pack your backpack, choose a destination you've always wanted to visit, look for a job and cheap place to live and just go for it. And if all fails you're still gonna have one heck of an experience to share with your kids and you're still young to try something new. 


I hope I could help some of you who are having a lot of doubts about which path to take in life. Sometimes is better to just stop, breath and look around, because if you're always stressing so much about what to do you're gonna end up not doing anything and life you'll pass you by in a minute. 

So just relax, take a deep breath and trust that everything is going to be alright. I believe that things have a way of working themselves out and that life has a way of throwing us in the right direction. 

Did you like the post ? Are you experiencing something like that ? Do you have any advice ? Do you are with what I said ? 

Your feedback is incredibly important for me and I just LOVE to hear your opinion and your thoughts so please share them with me in the comments !

See you guys on the next one ! 

- Michele Paco








2 comments:

  1. I loved this post and it's also such good timing ! I just took a six month break from college and now I'm what i'll be doing.

    xoxo

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous ! I really wanted to take a break from it all but I just don't have the guts to do it. I'm happy my post helped you out even if it was just a little bit ! :)
    After come back and tell what are your final plans, I'd love to know !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...