pages

October 13, 2014

Do You Really Need All That Makeup ? NO.

letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_less_is_more_makeup_blogger_products_beauty

Although I haven't been a part of the online "beauty and fashion community" for a long time (I've only had a small little blog for seven months now) I've been following a lot of blogs and YouTube channels since my teenage years so I have to say I've seen quite a lot. 

I do love this atmosphere, I love that you can get all this free information online and I have to say that everything that I know about makeup and skin care I've learned through youtubers and bloggers who took their time to share their knowledge and skills with us. 

Internet also gives us a great space where we can talk about what we like and connect with different people from all over the world who also share those interests. It gives talented people a way to make money by doing what they love and an opportunity for people (not only to makeup artists but also singers, comedians and actors) to further theirs careers and get their work seen by the world. 

I'm not here to rant about sponsors and people making money with ads on their videos or blogs because I believe that if it's done in a honest way and not by deceiving your viewers and readers there's really nothing wrong with that.

I'm here today to talk about a kind of "not-so-good" side of this whole community. I think that when these girls start showing of their makeup collections and hauls all the time it can send a bad image to young girls out there. I know that most youtubers don't do it to brag and that those videos are highly requested but still.. 

It sends the idea that you need all that makeup when you really really really don't. We need to remember that those people chose makeup, blogging and video making as their path in life, it's their job and how they make a living (and there's nothing wrong with that). Normal humans like us don't need to have 50 bottles of foundation and 300 lipsticks getting old in our closets.. because who really uses up all that makeup ? 

As much as I love this beauty community we need to be very careful with what we put up online and really think about how it affects the people reading/watching our content. I believe the majority of people who keep up with these videos and posts are young girls who can't grow up thinking that they need all that makeup to look pretty or simply just have. 

And we ("the grown ups") also need to constantly remind ourselves that having that much makeup, clothes, bags and what not is not good for us. Perpetuating this "consumerist" mindset is just wrong. We need read/watch that keeping in mind that we don't need all that stuff, that it's not normal to have all that stuff and that probably the person showing all that stuff was sent those items to do reviews and incorporate in their content and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (I want to make that very clear). 

Just because it's being showed online doesn't mean you need to go and get it. We constantly (and I include myself when I say this) get sucked into buying things we don't even need just because a youtuber/blogger we really like and admire showed it on her video/blog.

So.. I feel like this blog post is turning into a book so I'm just gonna stop here. But before I stop, I just want to say that the whole point of this is to make you a more conscious buyer and remind you that there's a lot going on behind the camera that we don't know about. 


Do you agree ? Do you disagree ? 
I would love to know what you think about this topic.

Thanks so much for reading and I'll see you on the next one ! 


letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_less_is_more_makeup_blogger_products_beauty



9 comments:

  1. As a man i can't say too much because of my lack of makeup knowledge, but one thing I do know. I don't like the girls in a dorito color... I hope as much girls as possible take note of that less is more :D

    ~~Harry~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all fighting the "Dorito face" together, Harry ! However the post was not quite about that.. but nonetheless I'm happy to have some guys around here ! Thanks for joining the discussion and I hope you'll come back soon ! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm in a slightly older demographic and spent my teen years devouring beauty and fashion magazines. It was a less intense environment to learn from than the internet is. The little girl in me sees those massive makeup collections and stuffed closets and is sometimes a little jealous. :) I do like that the internet makes it easy to be an informed consumer. When it does make sense to spend your hard earned dollars you can be a little more confident that you're spending it on something you actually want and will use if you're able to read and watch reviews about a product first.
    Great post and a great reminder to take a step back from the glittering videos once in a while and think.
    :) Alice
    www.alicemanfrida.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining the discussion, Alice ! It's really good to hear others point of view ! :)

      Delete
  3. Great post and very well written too. I agree with the hoarding of makeup and shamefully have to admit that I am guilty of it too. On the other hand, it's really hard to run a beauty blog without purchasing new items so it's quite the dilemma for me. :-(

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaks, Shireen ! But I totally get you, as long as you purchasing because you feel like you want and need the products there's nothing wrong with that.

      Delete
  4. I think this is a great post and you've raised some really good points. I have to admit, I agree and disagree. I agree about giving the wrong impression to the younger generation out there and I think we should be promoting more of "love yourself for who you are" and all that jazz. However, I do also believe that those that have big make up collections because they enjoy it. I love getting new make up, trying products out and creating new looks. Whether I use it all the time is a different story but I do get enjoyment from different make up so can understand why people have such large stashes. I think as long as we're making it clear that the readers are beautiful, with or without makeup and that buying makeup can be more of a hobby then it's ok. I hope that all makes sense? This really was a great post to read so thank you for sharing.

    http://www.amyscornerblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree and it does make sense, Amy ! If it's something that makes you happy go for it.. at the end of the day it is your money and nobody should have say in it. So many guys expend thousands of dollares in video games for example.. because it's their hobby.. I totally get it.

      Delete
  5. Get daily suggestions and methods for making $1,000s per day FROM HOME for FREE.
    GET FREE ACCESS TODAY

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...