pages

October 16, 2014

Sex Abuse On Youtube.

letmecrossover_blog_sex_abuse_youtube_cases

I wasn't going to say anything about this here on the blog mostly because I'm not on YouTube. But then I started thinking that it's not just because I'm not a part of that "online community" that I shouldn't say anything at all. What happened was beyond wrong and disgusting so I think we (not as women but as humans) should stand up for each other and raise as much awareness as we can when we see a problem that needs to be solved.   

If you have no idea what I'm talking about I'm gonna give a brief overview. I don't know how it all started but I'm gonna begin with Sam Pepper. I don't know if you guys know him or not.. I certainly did not. He's supposed to be doing comedy/prank videos on his channel and among a lot of inappropriate videos his most recent one stood out. In this video he is grabbing women's ass on the street and pretending it wasn't him. Seriously ? In which planet is this funny ? If a stupid dude came next to be and grabbed my ass on the street I would punch him so hard in the face. This is not only inappropriate, rude, stupid, immature and disrespectful  but it portraits this behavior as funny and normal which isn't. And if you consider that this person has over 2 million subscribers and the majority of them are teenagers you can image what kind of image it sends to them. 

Not only he put up these disturbing videos but he has also been involved in a lot of rumors of sexual abuse. Now you can see that the victims are coming out and telling their stories on social media (YouTube and Tumbler - for what I've seen.) to raise awareness so other girls won't have to go through what they went and to make him face the consequences for what he's done. The allegations range from online abuse and manipulation to actual physical assault and they imply that he was taking advantage of his "fame" and the fact that those young fans idolized him to manipulate them into engaging in sexual relations with him. What kind of person would do that ? I seriously hope he faces legal consequences for that. I know that his management team dropped him and that he's been banned from big YouTube events like Playlist and Vidcon, but that's not enough. I know it's hard and I can only imagine what this victims are going through at this point but they need come forth. His actions can not go unpunished. I hope the victims are brave enough to do so and to hopefully press charges if they feel the need. 

Another youtuber who was also involved in a similar situation was Alex Day. The allegations to him were that he manipulated fans, ex-girlfriends and friends emotionally and/or sexually. He did an "apology" video where in my opinion he tries to turn the situation around and make us feel sorry for what he has been going through. SERIOUSLY ? I cannot believe how people put themselves into these positions. You being a "public figure" with so many followers and subscribers.. How hard is it not be a douchebag ? How hard is it to respect people ? To be a nice person ? I do this everyday and I have to say that it's not hard at all. There's no excuse to being manipulative and overall a bad person. A lot of youtubers and fans already stated that his videos are not welcomed anymore and no one wants to watch it. 

Sexual abuse comes in all the shapes and forms and affects all kinds of people so if you feel in any way harmed, manipulated or wronged by someone you should speak up. This is not right or normal and it most certainly is not ok and it is a big deal. Being a young woman myself I can totally relate to that. Fortunately I've never been a victim of sexual abuse but I have been in a manipulative relationship in the past and I know how hard it is to even realize at the moment that you're being manipulated. Fortunately things didn't evolve and I was able to cut it short before they did. 

We need to keep in mind (mostly young girls) that youtubers/bloggers/famous people are not always nice and a good person. We only see what they want us to see. I know YouTube gives us the idea that we know the person and that they're our friends but the truth is that they aren't. Everybody has a bad side that they're not gonna showcase it on camera. I have no doubt that there are some youtubers that are genuinely nice and overall a good person but we can't extend that thinking to all of them just like we can't do this in "real life". 

I know this post was huge but I just had a lot of things to get out of my chest. I'm gonna link now some good videos for you to check out if you want to get more information on the matter: 







I now invite you to take a stand and speak up about this issue wherever you feel like.. Twitter, Instagram, YouTube or on a blog. It's important to raise awareness and to prevent other victims to go through this. 

Thanks so much for reading. 

letmecrossover_blog_sex_abuse_youtube_cases





4 comments:

  1. I don't know who both guys are but they sure sound like scumbags. Grabbing a woman's ass is NOT funny and like you, I would have punch the lights out of the guy who did it. Idiots!

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links. I'd already seen Laci and Hayley's videos (LOVE them both) but not the other ones. I'm glad people are talking openly about this topic. Talking about it and supporting others in our global (because of the internet) community is the only way anything will ever change.
    :) Alice
    www.alicemanfrida.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...