pages

December 10, 2014

Where I was Last Christmas.. ROME !

let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano_coliseo_colosseum
As me and my mom were getting our Christmas shopping done earlier today she said : I'm so glad you're here with me and I don't have to do all of this alone like I did last year while you were freezing in Italy. Although I am indeed very happy to be spending Christmas in the hot Brazilian summer I have to say that spending Christmas in Rome was an AMAZING experience. 

I don't know about you guys but I am a very religious person so getting to watch the Midnight Mass in front of the St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican was one of the highlights of my year. We weren't able to get inside but from what I've heard all you have to do is send a letter to the Vatican earlier in the year and if they still have available sits you'll be more than welcomed. 

I'm not gonna get caught up on all my religious babble because I really could write an entire post about it but I wanna make this one about Rome. I just want to remind you all again that these kinds of traveling posts that I do are all about my experience in each city that I visit with lots of pictures and revolving around my opinion. I'm not a professional tour guide or anything like that even though I would very much like to be. 

Starting from the beginning.. I flew in from Nice (where I was studying) to met a friend of mine in Rome. Since I was already inside Europe the flight was quite cheap, I don't remember the exact amount but it was for sure less than 100 euros and the flight was from EasyJet which a could recommend enough. I've never had problems with this airline and if you're traveling inside Europe they always offer the cheapest tickets. 

We stayed in a hostel called The Yellow which was quite nice. They had a great bar with some good and inexpensive food and drinks and also a very cool "underground" little club. I stayed in a mixed (boys and girls) room because I booked my trip very late and they only had mixed rooms available but my friend stayed in a all girls room which I think it's waaaay better and if you're a girl traveling with friends or alone you should always try to stay in an all-girls room. The staff was very friendly and helpful which was also a plus. 

Now let's talk about the city. I visited Rome two times, first with my parents and the second was last year in Christmas with my friend. I'm gonna try to put pictures from only the second trip but if I don't find good ones I might use pictures from my first trip so don't be alarmed if I look younger in some of the pictures. 

| El Coliseo
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano_coliseo_colosseum
Let's start with the most famous. The Colosseum is definitely a must see when you're in Rome and it's truly breathtaking. I'm very into History but I kinda hate Museums so getting to be inside such an historical and being able to see with your own eyes is really wonderful. The first time when I went with my parents we got the little audio guide which really helps you out. They have numbers spread throughout the place so you just press the number on your audio guide and listen to all the explanation related to that certain area.
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano

let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano
I believe that with the Colosseum ticket you also get access to the Forum but you should check it out just to be sure. It's located right across from the Colosseum and from there you get a perfect view from the Forum. This place is also incredible and I loved exploring the ruins of such an historical place. I'm not gonna talk to much about the history behind it and if you'd like to learn more about it you can check their website which is something that I highly suggest doing before actually going there because if you don't know anything about it it'll just look like random old stones of the ground. 
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano


let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano
This place is absolutely breathtaking and I literally cried the first time I saw. First of all, it's HUGE and, to be honest, I was not expecting it to be that big. In my opinion the best part of the day to visit this place in the end of the afternoon, this way you get to see it in the morning light and at night as they turn on the lights.

You should also be very careful once you're there because that's the pickpocket's favorite place and tourist are always the best target so keep yo bag close to you and don't leave money or expensive things on your pockets. That place is always so packed with tourists and people trying to sell you stuff so get ready for the crowd and to fight for the perfect picture spot. 
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano
let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano

As I'm writing this post I see that it's getting very big and since I want to put as many pictures as I can I think it's best if I divide it into two parts (just like I did with the London posts) so this is obviously going to be Part I and later this week or on the weekend I'll put up Part II in which I'm gonna talk about the Vatican, the Midnight Mass and other places we got to visit.  

Have you ever been to Rome or Italy ? Would you like to go ? 
I hope you're all having a great day !
Thank you so much reading and I'll see you soon.      

let_me_cross_over_blog_michele_mattos_rome_travel_italy_italia_roma_fontana_di_trevi_vatican_vaticano_forum_romano

13 comments:

  1. I really want to go to Italy, I'm a little afraid because I dont speak the language and I've heard that the Italian guys are very heavy hitting on you the whole time... above all when they're outside Italy... but your post gave great ideas if I finally decide to go :D :D

    ~Lucy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post, Michele :) Rome is on my 'bucket list', for sure. thanks for sharing your experience. p.s I love the festive bits on your blog, very Christmassy <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! Rome is an amazing city and I think you're gonna have a great time when you visit ! And thanks for noticing the my little Christmas decorations !

      Delete
  3. What a place to spend last Christmas, lovely photos too :)

    http://amyscornerblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It was such a great experience and it took me almost 4 hours to write this post because I was browsing through all the pictures ! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, what an amazing place to visit, lucky girl! Your pictures are stunning and thank you for sharing it here. At least I managed to get a small peek at what a stunning place it is. xx

    Reflection of Sanity | Smashbox Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fountain is beautiful! I'm excited for Part 2!
    :) Alice
    www.alicemanfrida.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice ! You're always the nicest ! :)

      Delete
  7. Those pictures are amazing! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete