pages

March 4, 2015

#DearMe: Advice To My Younger Self.

Lately I've been seeing a bunch of people doing this so I thought I'd give it a try. It looks like fun and since I obviously can't help my younger self I hope I can still help some of you guys who are still in the teen years (I'm desperately missing being a teenager right now). If any of you have done this or something similar please let me know on the comments so I can go and check it out. I loved reading them. 

I know that being a teenager is not easy and it's utterly confusing. Your thoughts, friends and opinions seem to be changing on a daily basis and sometimes it looks like you're completely alone and no one understands you. Been there. So I hope I can shed some light back into your crazy stormy days and at least make you believe that it gets better. Trust me on this one. 

Dear Me, 

I would like to begin by saying this: stop worrying about boys. Breakup with your current boyfriend, who we both know it's not good for you. By now, you're better off alone and when you least expect the perfect guy will come your way and you won't be alone for the rest of your life.

Gosh, you're just in high school. You still have a lot to come and you should focus your time on being a freaking teenager. Go out with your friends but don't drink too much, stay up all night talking with your friends and listen your parents. If you can't follow my first advice at least date the nice guys. Dating a bad boy does not make you cool it just leaves you heartbroken and feeling lost. Don't feel pressure into doing anything you don't want to, if someone pressures you they do not care about you.  

You should also start to have more fun and enjoy the present. You'll never be as relaxed and care free than you're right. Calm down, all your wishes to see the world, travel and get to know new interesting people will be fulfilled in the near future and then you'll wish you have enjoyed more the friends you already have. 

Ditch those people who seam to drag you down and make you feel worthless because you're not. And surround yourself with positive, like minded and honest people. Everybody you think it's so cool and popular, in a few years, will still be stuck with the whole "high school glory" in their minds while you'll be traveling and working towards all your dreams. You don't need to be friends with them to be cool and in the future you will be thanking God you don't have these people in your life.

You should also be nicer to your parents. They do everything for you and you're being a little ungrateful. I know it's hard to believe but they piss you off sometimes because they really care so much about you and they don't want you to make any mistakes you'll regret in the future. And also, don't lie to them. Lying to your parents is always a bad idea and they can't help you if they don't know the truth. 

I want to congratulate you on your grades and how well your doing school. Being smart and having good grades doesn't make you a nerd and you should stop pretending to be dump. All that hard work will be rewarded. 

I know it's almost impossible to see it now but you're going through all of these things for a reason and all of that confusion and despair will eventually fade away. You will grow up and have more control of your life in the future but for now just sit back, enjoy the confusion and try to have as much fun as you can.





   


2 comments:

  1. It's so hard though. Sure you may be better off alone, but when you are alone you're worrying about how you don't have a boyfriend. Sure you could ditch some of those people who seem cool now but won't be later, but then you'll feel as if you're less cool without them in your life. Sure you should be nicer to your parents, but while they're pissing you off it's really really annoying and you're going to forget. The only one out of these lessons that I reckon absolutely all teens should follow is to get good grades and don't let that make you feel like your reputation is ruined. This directly effects your future. Everything else does too, but sometimes thinking of now is all you can focus on, and later doesn't matter if you're too busy trying to be 'normal' in the present.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. M, I know it’s all easier said than done and I can only say these things now because I've been through high school and all the doubts you're mentioning on your comment. I know that it's almost impossible to go through your teenage years without worrying about boys and being popular but I believe that as you grow older you'll also realize that these things don’t matter as much as you must think right now. Having a boyfriend does not define you as a person and life is not about being popular. Popularity just means a lot in high school and that are so many more important things lying ahead. And having a boyfriend right now you’ll probably give you more worries than put you at ease.

    In my opinion you should never forget to be nice to your parents because they will "annoy" you for as long as they live ‘cause they care about you and want you to make good decisions. You should ALWAYS remember to be nice to them even when you don't feel like.

    My advice is about the things that I didn't now when I was a teenager but that I wish I had known. I wish I had someone who cared about me to tell me all of that ‘cause it would really had made my life easier. Although I don’t know if I would have become that same person if I hadn’t made all of those mistakes.

    I don't know what you mean about "being normal". In my opinion no one is normal, we all have our little quirks and that's the beauty of it. No one should focus on being normal but just focus on having fun, being a good person and improving themselves.

    Thank you for sharing your opinion !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...