pages

March 1, 2015

Movie Review: Fifty Shades Of Disappointment.


If you guys follow me on Twitter you probably already know that I've watched "Fifty Shades Of Grey" last weekend and was unbelievably disappointed. I was going back and forth with the thought of writing this post mostly because I'll be talking about some very controversy topics such as relationships, sex and all that good stuff. But I have a blog to share my own opinion and that's what I'll be doing today. 

Before starting this little rant, I have to say that I have not read the book and I honestly do not intend to do so. And also, I don't know a lot about S&M and the whole submissive and dominant thing so if I get anything wrong in those areas please feel free to correct me in the comments and join the discussion. 

The first thing that shocked me was the amount of teenagers in the movie theater. I don't know how it is where you live but here in Brazil the age limit to watch the movie was 16 and I don't know about you guys but I think that's pretty young. I don't want to get into the whole "when I was sixteen" speech and I know that kids are growing up faster these days but to me it's just not right.. Making this kind of movie available like that sends the wrong message to young girls who, in my opinion, should be focusing in other things. 

The second thing that kinda erked (for the lack of a better word) me was the dialogues. Seriously girls, if a guy you just met said to you "I would like to bite your lip" would you think that's sexy ? I mean.. WHO DOES THAT ? I was just not feeling the whole intensive flirting and it came off as weird, unnatural and borderline creepy. 

And talking about creepy, his whole approach to their relationship (which escalated quite quickly if you ask me) is creepy. The guy is extremely possessive and a control freak even before she agreed to be his "submissive". And that particularly sends a terrible message to young girls who are now starting to date and all. It portraits possessive and controlling as sexy and romantic.. WHAT ? That's just wrong. I know that the this movie is not targeted to young girls but when you put the age limit at only sixteen there's not much you can do about it. 

And now let's talk about the sex scenes. I don't have a lot to complain about those because I was kind of expecting them but I didn't like the way sex was portrayed in the movie. To me (specially if we're talking about the first time of a young woman and experiencing new things) sex is supposed to be empowering and positive. It's about you being comfortable enough with your partner and share the things that you like and the things you don't like.. To say STOP when something is not working for you or you're not enjoying yourself and be respected. 

The way I saw it in the movie, Mr. Grey was always trying to convince her and manipulate her into doing the things he enjoyed even when she clearly stated that she was not comfortable with it. And also, I do not consider the way Mr. Grey approaches sex healthy. If you need to ask someone to sign a contract because you don't trust them enough you shouldn't be having sex with them in the first place. Trusting your partner is the most important thing when you decide to have sex with someone.. You do not need a contract.

And also, they put sex in the movie as something dark and disturbing. As if he enjoyed having sex in that way because he was emotionally scared in his childhood and that's why he enjoys the whole S&M thing. Now, I don't know a lot about this topic as I said before, but I think that people choose S&M because they enjoy it not because they are emotionally scared. S&M is not supposed to be something negative, dark and twisted is simply a different way people choose to express themselves sexually.. That's why they have safe words and all those security measures, so no one gets hurt or does anything they're not comfortable with. 

I also think they used sex too much to fill in the gaps of a mediocre movie.. At the end I just couldn't stand seeing that girl naked anymore. I'm glad the director and the writer had a fight because that movie was not good and if they expect people to watch the next ones they need to make some big changes. I think that the marketing for this movie created such a hype that everyone was expecting something awesome and they just failed to fulfill the expectations. 

To me the best thing about the movie was Beyonce's new version of "Crazy in Love" and Ellie Gouding's new song "Love Me Like You Do". The outfits were also amazing and the locations... OMG ! How can I get myself an apartment like Mr. Grey's ? But the rest was just.. eeeeh. Needless to say, I was not impressed. When you deal with such controversial subjects like they did in this movie you need to be careful so you won't disrespect anyone and also thoughtful in the way it will affect the masses. 

Now I really want to know your opinion. 
Did you watched ? Did you liked it ? Did you hate it ? Did you read the book ?
Please let me know your answers and thoughts on the comments.

Thank you so much for reading.





1 comment:

  1. I so agree with you, if you look online for an abusive relationship they fit the profile. It's an disturbing relationship and I have no clue why people love this relationship. It worries me that so many teenage girls think this is a functional relationship when it's anything but. And it worries me a lot that men might think that women want to have a relationship like in 50 shades of sh*t. It's unhealthy, it's abusive and please find help when you're in this relationship (this isn't directed at you, but at girls and women in general who think this is a romantic relationship). Great review!

    HMLovur

    ReplyDelete