pages

March 30, 2015

Should I Be Single ?

letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_motivation_inspiration_single_relationship_advice_breakup_life_bad_good_cute
Yesterday night before going to bed, as I was scrolling through all of my social media (as one normally does) I found a very interesting article (or blog post I'm not sure) about being single. The title was very catchy and was something in the lines of: I'm young and I don't want my life to revolve around someone else. And a lot of people were sharing it, liking it and commenting a bunch of things saying that it explained very well why they were single.. Because they didn't want to be limited by someone else. 

Now, I don't know if the whole idea of being in a relationship and dating has been completely lost in our current times but being in a relationship is not supposed to limit you in any shape, way or form. It's the exact opposite actually. You can have all the reasons in the world to be single, maybe you haven't fallen in love yet, maybe you're focusing on your career or on your education and maybe you just want to be by yourself. But if you tell me that you don't want to be in a relationship because "you don't want someone to restrain you" or "have someone else be the center of your life" I'll tell that either you haven't been in a healthy relationship or you're not mature enough to be in one. 

Being in a relationship is not supposed to cut your wings or make you put your dreams on hold. Sharing your life with someone is supposed to give you the strength to pursue all of those things. It's about being empowered and loved. It's about having someone to turn to when you need help, motivation or a shoulder to cry on. It's about having someone to believe in you when you don't even believe in yourself and support you all the way until the end. If you haven't found someone like this I suggest you keep looking and remain single until you find him/her. 

Because when you find that person, you'll feel like you can achieve the things you've always wanted to and more. Of course, some of your plan will change because you'll not be thinking just about you. Just like they support you, you'll have to be able to support them. You'll have to make time to work on the relationship and you'll start to count them in your future plans. But isn't that a good thing ?

Doesn't it sound good to have someone by your side when you're feeling scared, sad or down ? And doesn't it also sound good to be there for someone else ? To look at someone's achievement and realized that you're part of that too and that they wouldn't make it that far if it weren't for you ?

I honestly don't get why people who are in a relationship get so much crap from single people. I know that being single is great and I really enjoyed being single for a while.. Having just myself to please, focus on myself and all that good stuff. But in my opinion (you don't have to agree with on this one), being in a relationship is better. I mean, being a good and healthy relationship is better. 

Just because I'm 22 years old and I have a boyfriend doesn't mean my life revolves around him. And even when you're 50 your life should not revolve around your partner. I know that as you get older and start to build a life together with marriage and kids it may look like that's what happens but the truth is you should never loose yourself into someone else's life. You should always make time for you and focus on your dreams.. Your dreams will change because your life and your priorities will change over time but I don't see how your life will revolve around your significant other.. unless you let it or you want to. 

We always have a choice. We can choose to be single and conquer the world on our own. We can choose to be in a relationship and share our lives with the one we choose. Just make sure you're happy with your choice and respect other people's choices. 

What do you guys think ?
Please join the discussion on the comments and let me know your opinion.
I love hearing what you guys have to say, specially when I do posts like this.

Thanks so much for reading.



   

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you I believe your partner should not stop you from living your dreams your blog has come on so well you deserve so much more followers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, girl ! You're too sweet ! :)

      Delete
  2. You said it girl! I think the vows that we chose to say said something about each of us being an individual and that was the whole point of getting married. I genuinely like hanging out with my husband but I do a lot of things without him and I continue to maintain my friendships and my own life and nobody's crying about it.
    :) Alice
    www.alicemanfrida.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Alice. And I think you're super right. Just because you have a husband doesn't mean you need to give up on anything ! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...