pages

April 15, 2015

Average or Beautiful ? Choose Beautiful.

source

I don't know if you have seen it or not, but there's a new Dove campaign going around (I saw it on YouTube) and after watching it I felt very inspired to write something about it over here. Dove always hits the spot with their campaigns or commercials and this one was no different. I feel like they always make sure to send an inspiring and positive message about body image and loving yourself just the way you are. 

Now, I don't know if it's just a marketing play and I don't really care as long as they are sending across the right message. This time they set up signs, as you can see in the picture, in a couple of cities all over the world and waited to see which one women would choose to go through. This was all based on a research, and according to Dove, 96% of women don't consider themselves beautiful. 

I don't know how accurate this data is and to be honest I don't think it really matters. But I do believe that most women in the world do not consider themselves beautiful and I completely understand why. Sometimes, I don't consider myself beautiful either and no matter how many times my mom or my boyfriend tell me that I just can't believe it.

You may think that this is all silly or that people went through the signs without even thinking. This might be true or not, I'll let you be the judge of that. But seeing women label themselves "average" just breaks my heart. Beauty is not just skin deep and even it was you should never consider yourself less than beautiful.

We all have crappy days. Sometimes our hair is just not on our team and we just feel bloated, fat and ugly.. We've all been there. But the point it's not about looking good on the outside. I think what matters here is being beautiful as whole and being comfortable in our own bodies. Because, let's face it, it's the only one we'll ever have. 

If there's something you don't like about you, change it. If YOU feel like you should loose weight, loose weight. If YOU feel like your hair is dry, go to the salon. If YOU don't like your clothes, buy new ones. You need to do whatever you want to feel good about yourself and comfortable in your own skin. It's your body so you should be the one calling the shots. The only beauty standard you should try to achieve is your own.  

We are all beautiful. You might think I'm just saying that but I truly believe it. Everybody has their own idea of what's beautiful and what isn't. Some people like big boobs, some like smaller, some like brown hair, some think being blonde is amazing.. We will never find a universal beauty standard and you should never, EVER, judge yourself based on other people's opinion.

When you look at yourself or at someone else on the street you can choose what you see. You can see how they treat others with kindness or you can see that their hair looks greasy. You can see their beautiful eyes or you can see that their makeup is not done properly. You can see how their hair looks amazing or you can see that their clothes are not matching. So since you can choose what you see, why not choose to see beauty ? Why not focus on the good things you and everybody else have to offer ?

In choosing to see beauty you not only make yourself feel and strive to be better but you also impact everyone around you. I believe that every single day we send a message to the world just by living our lives, make sure that yours is inspiring, positive and beautiful. 

I have a challenge for you today. I challenge you to look at yourself in the mirror and choose to see 5 beautiful things about you. I don't care what it is, it can be your eyes, your legs, your character or your tan - everything counts ! This way, in case you're faced with the same question as the women in the video, you'll choose to see yourself as beautiful. 

I already think you are beautiful.
Do you ?

Thank you so much for reading.








2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...