pages

May 4, 2015

Life Lessons #1: It's Okay To Be Sad.

Last week I self-diagnosed myself with depression. I was feeling a little off, sad and not motivated. I didn't feel like getting out of bed and was feeling super tired the entire day. So what do you do when you're feeling down ? You search for motivational videos on YouTube to try to make yourself feel better, at least that's what I did. 

I have to admit that although I really wish it was the case, the internet is not the cure to all of our problems. I mean.. Don't get me wrong, some of those videos really helped but they didn't quite solve the problem and to be honest I don't think that there's is a solution to this matter because we're never going to feel happy all the time. And that doesn't mean we are depressed. And you should never self-diagnose yourself, that's why we have doctors.

After having a long discussion with a very close friend of mine and also getting some input on it from a more experienced mind (my mom) I've come to the simple conclusion that sometimes, it's okay to be sad. We don't own to anyone to feel anything less than exactly what we're feeling at the moment. And if you're feeling sad, there's nothing wrong with that. 

We all have crappy days, weeks, months and even years. Sometimes life hits harder than we were expecting and gives us more than we can handle. And I know that it's not fair but life is not always fair, it's just life and we have to learn how to deal with it, some things we can change, some things we have control over but some other things are unexpected and that can be good or bad. To simplify it in a very philosophical line: "it is what it is".

So given this whole unexpected side of life, some people seek for comfort in the most unexpected ways. I find comfort in religion and in the thought that God never gives us more than we can handle and that, somehow (do not ask me how), He is always watching over us no matter what. 

Although that seems to be working for me, I know that religion and faith are very abstract things and it doesn't work for everyone. But the one thing you need to keep in mind is that a bad choice or a bad event (or whatever it is that is bringing you down) doesn't get to decided whether or not you're going to have a good or a bad day. Things happen, we process them, we feel all the feels that come with that and we move on. 

Although it's more than okay to be feel sad sometimes you should never let these feelings control your life because you're going to miss out on other amazing things if you do. 

You should keep in mind that I'm talking about regular sad days that we all have throughout our lives. I know some people deal with much worst conditions and that depression is something way more serious than this so if you feel like that's the case for you, you should definitely seek professional help and talk to an adult you trust, even if you're already an adult.


How do you deal with sad days ?
Please feel free to leave me your feedback and 
answers on the comments.
I really like when my posts start a discussion and 
I'm really looking for to reading you opinions.

Thanks so much for reading.



2 comments:

  1. I agree that 'it's okay to be sad'. With social medias like Instagram where we only show all the happy moments, more and more people are under the illusion that everyone's life is a bed of roses. Truth is, very rarely anyone will show the downside of life but not many understands that. :-/

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Shireen. I completely agree.

      Delete