pages

June 7, 2015

Are You Embarrassed Of Your Blog ?

I know I was. Right when I started I was so scared and embarrassed of having a blog that I didn't tell anyone. It took me almost 2 months to tell my boyfriend and almost one year to tell my family and my closets friends (I still have friends that have no idea about the blog). I'm not sure how it was for my fellow bloggers out there but I just had the weirdest feeling of embarrassment, like I was doing something silly and that, for some reason, I shouldn't be doing it..

Now that I've been blogging for almost two years, I've realized that the word "embarrassing" should be the last thing crossing your mind when you think about your blog. There's nothing embarrassing about doing something that you love, sharing your interests and connecting with like minded people. I mean.. It's not like your shaking your booty on the internet.

Having said that, I can totally understand why we feel that way in the beginning. We are doing something new and different and every time we put ourselves out there we feel scared, vulnerable and a little exposed. Doing something different is always super scary, we don't know what to expect and we have no idea what we're getting ourselves into but if we also add in the pressure of caring about what other people are going to think about it, it's enough to drop everything and curl up in fetal position. 

The truth is that everyone has opinions about certain topics and they all matter.. to themselves only. The only person that should be affected by my opinion is myself - If I don't like YouTube videos I won't watch them, if I don't like Instagram I won't create an account and if I don't like blogs I won't read them or have one. See what I mean ? Your opinion serves you and yourself only.

So why the hell should other people's opinion dictate how you live your life ? I once had a close friend of mine tell me she thought creating a blog was stupid and pointless.. Guess what ? I didn't tell her I had a blog but I kept doing my thing over here just the same. If you try to please everyone you'll fail completely and also let down the most important person in your life, YOU. Even Jesus tried to do it and failed, and no matter how amazing you're, you're no Jesus so don't even try.   

No a lot of people will understand how sharing your life and ideas with complete strangers all over the world can we so fun, exciting and fulfilling. And they don't have to, all they have to do is not judge you or make fun of you. If your friends and your family truly care about you, they will be supportive. When I first told my mom I had a blog, the only thing she said was: "You be careful with what you share on that internet, there's some crazy people out there". It wasn't the most loving answer but you know what.. I'll take it. She didn't judge or told me to stop and she also cared about my safety. 

Creating a blog is something so simple and so extremely hard at the same time. All you need to do is set up an account and type type type.. But nobody tells you how to deal with all the emotions and doubts that come with it. Unfortunately, our society is not the most supportive one when it comes to being different or just being yourself.. If you don't fit in or you're not trying to they say there's something wrong with you. But then again, what's so special about fitting in anyway ? We don't get a prize or anything.. not even personal satisfaction.   

So, to finish off this ramble I'm gonna attempt to give you an advice. I'm not saying it's any good but I'm gonna put it out there anyway (ooh, the beauty of the internet). In a world where people tell you all the time that your opinion doesn't matter, it takes real bravery to stand up and let your voice be heard. It doesn't matter if you're doing it through a blog, a Twitter page or a newspaper. 

Are you still embarrassed of your blog ? 

Thanks so much for reading.





   


11 comments:

  1. I've had several blogs over the years and I have recently started a new one. At first I kept it hidden because it felt like it was my private space on the internet. God knows what other people thought of me! But that doesn't matter to me now. I even started a facebook page. Let the whole world know, I don't care. As long as it makes me happy, why should I be ashamed of it? It's not like I am doing anything wrong by blogging! So never be ashamed of anything :)

    Ingrid
    http://www.thesassologist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get the whole private space on the internet thing.. I see my blog as my tiny little corner of the internet. I totally agree with you, you should not be ashamed of something that you enjoy and makes you happy, no matter what other people think about it.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm while i haven't shared my blog with those outside of my husband and some of his family, it's not because i'm embarrassed by it. I'm just not one to go around shouting about it, because that's just who I am. Regardless of having blogged for nearly six years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand you, Rachel. I'm also not going to shout from my window: Hey world, I've got a blog !! hahaha But I'm also not going to be ashamed and hide or feel self-conscious about it. I worked a lot on my blog and dedicate a lot of hours to come up with interesting posts and I'm proud of it.

      Delete
  3. A really inspiring post! thank you for opening my eyes to this topic, gave me a lot to think about :)

    VioletDaffodils
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made my day, Violet. I'm so glad you enjoyed it ! :)

      Delete
  4. I've started my blog since last year... and I don't really share it with my friends or family.. well maybe because I am still not confident or satisfied with it yet to announce it to everyone.
    Like you said.. it is something new and different.. will need some time to put ourselves out there..
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. But don't take too long to share your blog with the world ! We're always learning and the only way to improve your blog is to keep going. Progress comes with time. My blog is also not even close to where I want it to be, but we all need to start somewhere.

      Delete
  5. I can definitely relate to this post. I felt a bit silly with my blog at first but when friends (who had heard about it from other friends posting it on Fbk) started to say they enjoyed reading it I got a bit more confidence with it. I'm still really self-conscious posting it on my Facebook page in case people get bored but I guess if that's the case then they're not really friends..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think blogging is embarrassing at all. I just think that some of the stuff I write on my blog isn't meant to be shared with certain people I know, so I'd rather not tell them. Although, yes, I do feel embarrassed about my blog towards certain people. There's always the fear that they'll judge you, especially if you're writing something personal. With complete strangers on the internet, I'm not embarrassed to share everything, but with people I know it's a different story. Haha your mum sounds a bit like my mum.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that I'm embarrassed actually… It's more that I don't think that they'll understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it… And therefore am afraid that they'll judge me for the wrong reasons … or something like that.
    I told my closest friends and a few members of my family but I secretly hope they don't read it and try not to think about the fact that they know about it … I feel a tad ridiculous now :P

    Feathers and Brushes | Swiss | Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete