pages

July 13, 2015

Book Review: Three Girls and a Baby by Rachel Schurig.

I have to admit that I had very low expectations going into this book. It was just one of the books that I got on my latest random Amazon downloading spree in which I download pretty much any book I can find in the store for free. Sometimes the books literally such and have a bunch of spelling problems but once in a while you can find some hidden gems like this one. 

This book had basically everything I need in a book to get my attention and it's no surprise that I gave it 5 out of 5 stars on GoodReads. Actually, if you read my last Currently Reading post this might come as a surprise to you since I said that I was not loving this book and that I was hoping that the story would get a little more exciting.

And it really did. The story revolves around three best friends who live together in a little house. The main character Ginny MacKensie is your average girl who just graduated college and couldn't find a job in her field of study so she start to babysit for a living and things are apparently working out for her in that front.

She's also very sad and trying to get over a bad breakup. On a random evening her ex-boyfriend appears in her house and since they obviously still love each other, one things leads to another and they end up sleeping together. 

Unfortunately, this changes nothing and they are still broken up. Except that this changes everything and she ends up pregnant with his baby and after that the story only goes uphill. 

This book is filled with unexpected turns and a lot of things happen along the way that get you completely by surprise and you will find yourself rooting for Ginny and her baby in a way that you did not expect.. At least that's what happened with me. 

Another high point of this book is the way the author portraits the friendship between Ginny and her two best friends. Their bond is unbreakable and it shows that Ginny can count on her friends more than she could ever count on any man. It shows a lot of character growth and we can see Ginny growing up and turning into a strong independent woman who does need a man to rise her child. 

The boyfriend situation is another roller-coaster. As the story unfolds, first we hate him, than we love him, than we hate him again and at the end I just adored him to pieces.

As to the low points I have to say that, in the beginning, Ginny's relationship with her boyfriend was not healthy at all and it looked like she needed him to give her the push to be a good person and that really bothered me. 

And another things that ind of bothers me but not that much is the fact this book is only part one of a trilogy and I really don't see the point of making this story into a trilogy. I feel like a book is more than enough and the end didn't leave me wanting to know more about those characters. 

But from what I've been seeing lately, stretching a story that could be told in a books to fit in 3 or 4 is very common thing. Needless to say, I won't be reading the sequels but I am very happy I read Three Girls and a Baby. 

In the little summary that appears on GoodReads, they compare Rachel Schurig to Sophia Kinsella and Meg Cabbot and I think this a very accurate comparison in the sense that these authors usually write romances with a lot of comedy but as to writing styles I think they are very different from each other.

All in all, this book was really great and I would highly recommend if you're looking for a very light and quick read. I devoured this book is 3 days and I loved it.   

Have read anything by Rachel Schurig ? 
What are you currently reading ?

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll talk to you soon. 


      






3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to give this book a read. I'm currently on uni holidays so I spend most my days reading - so this will be a nice edition. I live for "easy to read" books haha x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! I LOVE doing the random free book download thing on kindle. haha I occasionally will find a book that I literally just CAN NOT finish because it is so terrible but usually I end up reading books that are either great or at least entertaining...which is what I'm really looking for in a book.
    :) Alice
    www.alicemanfrida.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting book! I'm currently reading Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman! x
    fashionismyfirstlangauage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete