pages

November 7, 2015

My Bookish Pet Peeves.


I don't know if you've noticed but I've been reading a lot this year. It's the first time I've tried the GoodReads Reading Challenge and it's safe to say that I went for it. I believe I've read 54 books so far and my first goal was to read only 30 books. So, I guess congratulations are in order and feel free to leave them on the comments.. I'm just kidding but I would really appreciate it if you did leave a kind comment.

Anyway, today we're not talking about the challenge but we're still talking about books. Since I've been doing a lot of reading I've came across a couple of things that really really really bother me when it comes books. And we're not just talking about the plot or characters, I'm also focusing on the physical aspect of the book and since we, the readers, are the ones who actually spend money buying the books and therefore fostering this industry (I know.. Sometimes I get excited and start to write fancy) I think we should be heard and express our opinions so things can change in the future. 

Having said that, I think I should also put out there that I do most of my reading on my Kindle (best thing I ever bought) and I do not own a lot of physical books. That's mostly because of the issues we will discuss in this post but also because I don't like clutter and my room is quite small. 

Without further rambling, let's go!

|Covers that don't match in a series|

I don't even know why publishing houses still do this since everybody seems to hate it. I mean, even if you're not an avid reader you still don't want weird covers on your bookshelf, right? It just goes against the whole purpose of the "series". If it's a series the books are supposed to go together in every way possible and that includes cover matching. I think they do this just so we buy multiples times the same books until we get it all matching. 


|Covers with real people on it|

That's just creepy and I honestly don't know why it bothers me so much. I don't like to have a picture of a random person staring at me while I'm not reading the book. It's like they're judging me and it's just weird and it shouldn't be there. Another reason for this pet peeve is that I like to create an image for the characters in my head as I'm reading the story and giving me picture takes that experience away from me and I don't like it. 

|"Series" with different main characters|

Authors, if you say a compilation of books is a series I expect them to have the same main characters and more or less the same story behind it. Is that too much to ask? If you have 12 books in a "series" and they all talk about different people and different things that aren't even intertwined, I'm sorry but I can't see how that could possibly be a series. I know authors and publishing houses need to make money and this is a good away to do that but it really pisses me off. 

|Covers related to the movie|

That's just wrong! The book is one thing and the movie is another thing. When they put the movie poster on the cover it looks like I'm buying the movie script and I don't wanna do that. And sometimes I really like to book but I hated the movie and I don't want have mix feelings when I see the book on my bookshelf.  

|Stickers on the covers|

Specially if they are advertising some sort of discount. I just hate that dirty little glue that stays on the book after you attempt to remove the sticker. How hard could it be to make a sticker that doesn't leave a mark behind?! Or simply not put a sticker at all? If the book is on sale, put it on a special shelf or bin. One of the perks of getting books on the Kindle is that I don't have to deal with this issue anymore.   

I guess these are all my bookish pet peeves. I know they're all silly things that, at the end of the day, don't really matter if you really like a book but they're still there bothering me in the back of my mind. Well, I hope you find liked the post and please let me know your bookish pet peeves so we can share the struggle.

What are your pet peeves when it comes to books?

Thank you so much for reading and I'll see you soon.





1 comment:

  1. I know the pain! Oh, my, do I know the pain! I agree with every one of these points, although, especially, especially, the last three. I always feel the need to peel off the stickers, and usually end up ripping the cover. :/ Now, that's bad!

    It makes sense to have different characters in each book if the stories connect, but honestly, a book series 12 books long can't exactly be fine literature, anyway, can it?

    And it is never okay to use the same cover for the film and the book. Never.

    Great post!

    By the way, you follow my blog, but since I changed my URL, my GFC followers aren't receiving my posts in their Dashboard anymore. So if you want to, visit the new blog and just refollow. Let me know if it works. :)

    ReplyDelete