pages

December 5, 2015

HOW TO: Not Be A Makeup Hoarder.


By now everybody over here already knows I have an obsession with YouTube, specially when it comes to beauty videos - I'm seriously subscribed to 110 beauty channels (maybe even more). As of lately, I've been seeing a lot of makeup declutter, empties and whatnot on my subscription feed and the first thing that comes to my mind when I'm watching those videos is: How did these people acquire so much makeup? 

I'm a beauty junkie myself and I get that some of the YouTubers get sent a lot of stuff, but it still baffles me. I mean, who has the space to store all of that? Definitely, not me. So given all that hype with declutter videos and whatnot, I decided to put together some tips to avoid hoarding so much makeup in your collection. I probably need only half of the stuff that I currently have on my collection but it's not even close to all of the things that I want. And I think the thing is to find a away to balance out the need and the want when it comes to makeup so you reach a happy balance. 

There's also the question of letting your makeup go to waste. I hate the feeling of loosing money when I throw an almost full product out because it expired or because it started to smell funny. So, if you want to avoid all these things maybe my tips will help you out in that department!

DON'T BUY BACKUPS: In my opinion, buying backups is the easiest way to waste money and to hoard makeup. Most products come with way more  than we need and it usually takes us quite a while (I'm talking months and years..) to go though an entire thing, so why do we feel the need to buy backups? Chances are when you finish a product you'll be so tired of it that you won't even want to see its colors again and also, you can always go back to the store and get a new one or a very similar one when you're done with the original. There's absolutely no need to for you to buy a backup, even if it's a limited edition thing.. There will always be limited edition products for you to focus on. It takes years to finish an eye palette and months to finish a lipstick, do you really need backups?  

BUY ONLY WHAT YOU KNOW YOU'LL USE: When you see products in store you feel like you need them all when in reality you don't. That's a fact and that's why companies spend so much money in marketing, packaging and product placement in stores. So make sure you keep that in mind when you see an amazing ad for a green lip gloss (MAC actually had a limited edition green lip gloss if I'm not mistaken) that looks really good on the model and think: How often would you use a green lip gloss? Does it go with the stuff that you already have? If you ask yourself these question I guarantee your gonna save a lot of money.    

PASS ALONG OR SELL THINGS YOU KNOW YOU WON'T USE: This happens to me a lot.. I tend to hold on to products for no particular reason. On the top of my head I can think of two examples, my two orange lipsticks. I know they don't look good on me, I don't really don't like the formulas and their packaging is not even that cute. If you don't see yourself using that particular product in the near future there's absolutely no reason for you to keep it. 
Having said that, I think the best option is for you to give it to a friend or sell it, that way you can get some money back so it wasn't a complete waste.

THROW AWAY EXPIRED STUFF: Products come with an expiration date for a reason, specially makeup products. It's something that has direct contact with your skin, mouth and eyes, so why would you risk an infection or something? Its best to just throw stuff and not try to push it so you can "get your money's worth" out of it.   

DON'T OBSESS OVER THE PACKAGING: Don't keep products around just because you like the packaging and don't buy them just because of that either. This is the easiest way to create clutter and next thing you know you're being featured in the TV show "Hoarders" and I don't want that for you. If something is over, expired or you just don't like it, THROW IT AWAY. Don't keep it just 'cause.   

GO FOR TRAVEL SIZE PRODUCTS: Trial size or smaller products in general. Every time I'm able to, I get the smaller size they have of a product. That way it's easier to use everything up before it expires, it's cheaper, it doesn't take up too much space in my collection and by the time I'm done with that particular product I've already made up my mind about it and if I want I can always go back and get another one. 

FOCUS ON WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE: The best way to avoid hoarding makeup is to make sure you know everything you have in your collection, that's why I love "shopping my stash" videos. If you don't know what that is, it's basically going over your makeup collection frequently and picking out things you haven't used in a while. That way you avoid buying duplicates and you make sure everything you have is being used. 

That's it for today, everyone! I hope these tips helped you somehow. I know that some of them are quite simple and pretty obvious but I still wanted to include them because I feel like sometimes we tend to ignore the obvious so it's good to be reminded of the little things like "don't buy stuff you won't use because it's basically throwing money away".


Do you have any tips to help us out? 
Are you also a makeup hoarder? 
Let me know your answers and thoughts on the comments 
below so we can chat a bit. I love hearing from you guys!

Thanks so much for reading and come back soon! 





  


2 comments:

  1. Great tips, I learn a thing or two and will definitely put it to practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Ruth! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! :)

      Delete