pages

January 9, 2016

The PopSugar's Ultimate Reading Challenge 2016 | Book Recommendations.

If you've read my Life Goals For 2016 post you already know this, but this year I'm attempting to complete the Popsugar's Ultimate Reading Challenge. I'm doing it because I wanted to branch out a little bit with my reading. I feel like I've been stuck in this YA-romancy- distopyan kind of cycle and I need some variety in my life. Last year I saw a lot of people doing this and enjoying it so I thought: Why not?

This challenge consists of 41 books from all sort of genres, even political memoir which, I'm not gonna, I'm not very excited about. But there are a lot of cool little challenges as you're gonna see in a minute.

Together with this one, in 2016, I'm also participating in the "traditional" GoodReads Reading Challenge and for that one you just set a number of books you'd like to accomplish reading in the year. For that one my goal is 70 books, which works out perfectly with the 41 books of this one.

Since between this two challenges I have a lot of books to read, I thought it would make things easier to plan it ahead. That way I can avoid some of the reading slumps that will eventually come throughout the year, since I'll know exactly what I to read next, and I also love to make lists and write about books so.. On with the books!    

1. A Book Based on a Fairy Tale: A Court Of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas.
You might remember this book from my 10 Books I Have To Read In 2016 and I'm very glad I menage to squeeze this one in here. And the reason for that is that, apparently, this is a retelling from Beauty & The Beast, who knew right?  
 
2. A National Book Award Winner: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. 
I'm not sure if this book won the National Book Award but it did win a Pulitzer and that's good enough for me. I'm also not sure what this book is really about but I'm excited t find out.

3. A YA Bestseller: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.
This book has been very hyped and I want to know if it lives up to my expectations. I've never read anything from this author but everybody is saying she's pretty awesome. I think this is about a society where people are divided into different classes based on their blood maybe they have powers? I'm not 100% sure. 
 
4. A Book You Haven’t Read Since High School: OPEN.
I did a lot of thinking about this and I'm still not sure what to put in this category. I'll get back to you on that. Maybe I'll read one of the Harry Potter books. 
 
5. A Book Set in Your Home State: Dom Casmurro by Machado de Assis.
As most of you know, I’m from Brazil and my home state is Rio de Janeiro. This books is about a couple who have known each other since they were kids and now the guy suspects that their child is not his. And the best part is, it's set right here in my home town. I've already read this book once when I was at school and I'm kind of excited to read it again with a more "mature" perspective.  
 
6. A Book Translated to English: Accepting Recommendations.
I did some research and I didn't find anything interesting to read in this category so if you have any recommendation, please let me know.   
 
7. A Romance Set in the Future: Accepting Recommendations.
 
8. A Book Set in Europe: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. 
I think this book is set in France during the II World War and it's about two sister who join the french resistance. That sounds awesome!
 
9.A Book Under 150 Pages: Sleepless Nights by Elizabeth Hardwick.
I found this book on a random website when I googled "Books under 150 pages" and this list showed up. It had some pretty cool recommendations and I picked this one up. This is not set in stone, I might change it if I find something that looks more interesting.  
 
10. A New York Times Bestseller: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.
This is pretty opened category and since I've been dying to read this book, here it is.
 
11. A Book That’s Becoming a Movie This Year: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.
I believe the movie is coming out this year, right? All I know is that it's about aliens trying to take over the world.  
 
12. A Book Recommended By Someone You Just Met: Accepting Recommendations.
I really need recommendation for this one, guys! So please, if you could be so kind as to introduce yourself and recommend me a book, I'll be forever in your debt.
 
13. A Self-Improvement Book: The Power Of Habit by Charles Duhigg. 
 
14. A Book You Can Finish in a Day: OPEN.
I don't think it's very smart to plan this one ahead.. When I finish a book in a day I'll just add it over here. 
 
15. A Book Written By a Celebrity: Yes Please by Amy Poehler.
 
16. A Political Memoir: Nixon and Kissinger: Partners in Power by Robert Dallek.
This sounds boring and interesting. A teacher recommended this to me years ago and now seemed like the perfect moment to pick it up. 
 
17. A Book At Least 100 Years Older Than You: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.
Can you believe I've never read any Jane Austen book in my life? This needs to change.    
 
18. A Book That’s More Than 600 Pages: Accepting Recommendations.
 
19. A Book From Oprah’s Book Club: The Invention Of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.
 
20. A Science-Fiction Novel: Accepting Recommendations.
 
21. A Book Recommended By a Family Member: OPEN.
My parents are traveling. As soon as they come back I'm asking for a recommendation and I'm sure it's going to be something about ethics.
 
22. A Graphic Novel: Accepting Recommendations.
 
23. A Book That is Published in 2016: Accepting Recommendations
 
24. A Book With a Protagonist Who Has Your Occupation: Accepting Recommendations.
I'm still a student, btw.  
 
25. A Book That Takes Place During Summer: Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson.
 
26/27. A Book and its Prequel: Obsidian and Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout. 
 
28. A Murder Mystery: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. 
 
29. A Book Written By a Comedian: Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler.
 
30. A Dystopian Novel: The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings. 
 
31. A Book with a Blue Cover: Shake Down The Stars by Renee Swindle. 
 
32. A Book of Poetry: Book of Sonnets by Vinicius de Moraes. 
 
33. The First Book You See in a Bookstore: Loosing It by Cora Carmack.  
 
34. A Classic From the 20th Century: 1984 by George Orwell. 
 
35. A Book From the Library: The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria36.
 
An Autobiography: I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai  e Christina Lamb. 
 
37. A Book About a Road Trip: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson. 
 
38. A Book About a Culture You’re Unfamiliar With: A Pigeon and a Boy by Mier Shalev. 
 
39. A Satirical Book: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.
 
40. A Book That Takes Place on an Island: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.
I'm a big Jurassic Park fan, I've seen all the movies and I even have Jurassic PARK S 
 
41. A Book That’s Guaranteed to Bring You Joy: Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella.
Every Sophie Kinsella book I ever read has brought me joy, I don't think this is going to be any different.
 
 
These are the books I'm planning on reading so far. Please please please, leave me any recommendations you might have for the remaining categories. I need help. You can also follow me on GoodReads so we can be reading buddies. I’ve become quite obsessed with seeing what other people are reading and adding books to my Reading Challenge. 
 
Are you joining any challenges this year?
 
Thanks so much for reading and I’ll see you soon.
 





1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about this since you posted it! I read Ru by Kim Thuy last year, that one is translated into English. It's the story of how the author had to leave Vietnam as a child with her family and they ended up in Quebec, Canada. It's pretty short and it was really pretty writing, kind of like poetry but it's not a poem...I don't know if that makes any sense!
    Also, two book channels on YouTube that are good for suggestions on what to read next are:
    "Books Beauty Ameriie" https://www.youtube.com/user/BooksBeautyAmeriie
    "SCSreads" https://www.youtube.com/user/SCSreads
    Both of the women on those channels read a variety of different books and I think they do a really good job of explaining what the books are about and what their thoughts are.
    Hope that helps!
    :) Alice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...