pages

January 24, 2016

You Don't Need To Do What Everybody Else Is Doing.

I just spent the entire day doing blog related stuff. I wrote posts, I did some designing, I answered to emails (yeah, 'cause now I'm cool and people send me emails to talk about the blog) and responded to comments. Not that I get a ton of comments, but the ones I do get I always make sure to answer. But that's not the point. The thing is that today is Sunday and my friends were going to a barbecue-thingy that seemed pretty cool but I couldn't go. I mean, I could but I wanted to stick to my plans for the day. And that got me thinking. 

I had planned for today to be a blogging day (not the entire day but most of the afternoon) because I've been so busy during the week with studying and applying for masters that I was totally neglecting the blog. So the logical thing for me was to turn down the plans for today and focus on what I was doing. I told my friend I couldn't go because I wanted to spend the day blogging and her response was: WHAAAT? Are you crazy?.

After I hung up the phone I started to think: Am I crazy?. And after reflecting about it over some cookies things started to come into perspective. And I'm not gonna lie, I may have had an epiphany. Jokes aside, this is not the first time this topic came to my mind. Most of my friends have big girl/9 to 5 jobs, are thinking about moving out of their parents and use their weekends to have fun and to do normal stuff. 

I, on the other hand, am preparing/studying to take an exam for a public position, still live with my parents, spend my weekends blogging, want to do a master on the other side of the world and just see where things go from there. I do have plans and I'm working towards achieving them but it's not like everything is figured out and everybody else seems to have their shit completely figured out. 

I know it's bad to compare ourselves to others and I know that everybody has their own path but let's be honest, we all do it some way or another. We may even do it subconsciously. I'm not gonna came here and say that this has to stop because, again, we all know it has to stop. But maybe, this is a way of reevaluating ourselves and making sure that we're happy with the path that we're currently on.

After my friend's call, I did take a minute there to think if I really wanted to spend my Sunday alone with my computer and not outside drinking with other "normal people". And I came to the realization that: yes, I do want to blog. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

I hate to blame society, but there are certain things that we are expected to achieve or a certain way we're supposed to act once we're a certain age. And honestly, fuck that! People who are gossiping about you or judging the decisions you make are not going to pay your bills or hold your hand when you're scared. They don't matter and they're probably not satisfied with their lives either, because if they were they wouldn't be talking about yours. 

If you're facing this problems and doubts or you don't want to do what everybody else your age is doing, just remember that YOU DON'T HAVE TO. There's not a law that says that you need to choose your career once you live college or that you can't change careers once you have a family and kinds. It's never too late or too early to become a singer, start your own business or go backpacking across the world. Ok, maybe there's a "too early" to go backpacking but you know what I'm saying.

The problem with doing what "society" or others think you should be doing is that once everything goes to shit and you hate your job and your life, society is not going to come by to help you out. So, following "society" is a loose-loose solution. Only you know what you want and what's right for you. 

And if you don't know, maybe you shouldn't know it yet and that's fine. But you still have to do something, so explore your options, take some classes, go online or travel. Do anything you can to find your path and when you find it trust yourself and keep going. 

I'm not sure if this post made much sense but I just needed to get some things off my chest. I did this post more for me than for the blog and if I didn't have a blog this would straight into my diary. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed it and let me know what you think about it.

Do you agree with me?
Do you disagree?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon. 




4 comments:

  1. Exactly! Life isn't a competition and rites of passage aren't set in stone. Just because people are expected to do something due to society's views or the media's influence doesn't mean we have to follow it. We're not all basic like that. I say you do you and in the end you'll have lived uniquely and objectively, and you'll have done exactly what you wanted no matter what other people said.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with what you're saying! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...