pages

February 26, 2016

8 Simple Ways to Help the Planet and Save Money.

I'm a little ashamed to admit it but I only started to "really care" about the environment and how my actions affect the world when I started my little "journey" to minimalism. I've always cared, I've always recycled, I've always turned off the lights when I left the room but what really made me mindful of my actions and how much I was consuming was when I discovered minimalism and decided to try it out. 

I'm not here to tell you how to live your life or that you need to throw all your stuff away and live like hippie. I'm just saying that when you really stop to think about it you realize how much you consume and how much of it goes to waste. And this is not only bad for the planet, it's also really bad for you wallet. And if you think that you don't buy more than you actually need I bet that, if you stop right now, you can come up with at least 5 things that are just sitting there in your room collecting dust.

I'm not just pointing the finger. Even after decluterring and trying to be more minimalist, I can still look around my room and see things that I don't really need in my life. But that's beside the point and I digressed a little. Shopping and consuming a lot of thing is just part of the problem.

Having said that, I thought it would be good to start a discussion and think about all the things that we could do to change this mentality that we all share. I hope that this post helps you to be more mindful of your actions and realize that you can do a lot to help buy doing very little. And this is how:


Bring your own reusable bag: This is something super easy and yet not a lot of people do it. Whenever you go shopping remember to bring your own reusable bag to carry your groceries. In some groceries stores they even give you a small discount when you bring your bag but even if they don't give you the discount, nowadays most stores are charging for each plastic bag you use. It's true that they're not very expensive, but if you can avoid wasting money you should.  

Don't flush the toilet every time you pee: I know a lot of people may think this is disgusting and not very sanitary. But when you realize that every time you flush your toilet you're using from 5 to 8 liters of water you'll probably change your mind. I wouldn't recommend doing the same when you go number two or when you're using a public bathroom but you get the idea. Save water, flush less.  

Recycle: I've been recycling for a while now and, unfortunately, I don't make any money from it. But I know there are a couple of recycling centers that pay a small amount for plastic bottles or cans. You're not going to get rich doing it, but you're helping the environment and that's what really counts. And also, a couple of extra bucks every month can't hurt.  

Buy less new things: Not a lot of people realize that buy shopping less you're not only helping your wallet but your planet as well. Restraining from buying one lipstick is not going to instantly save a baby dolphin. But when you realize that your actions add up to a bigger scale, shopping less can really make an impact. By shopping less you're creating less waste, pollution and all that bad stuff indirectly. Again, this only makes sense when you inset yourself in the bigger picture of the world population, but I believe that even the smallest of actions count.

Buy more used things: And when you do have to shop, try going on thrift stores and other markets. If you can avoid buying it new, buy it used. It's cheaper, you're "recycling" in a way and it's super fun to go to thrift shop and used bookstores. 

Go for the eBook: I read a lot and I follow enough book bloggers to know that eBooks are not very popular among readers and that there are a lot of people that strongly defend physical books for a variety of reasons. But when you think about it, books are printed on paper and paper comes from trees soo.. Not very eco-friendly if you ask me. I don't know scientifically how this industry impacts the environment but I know it has to impact it some way or another. And if I can avoid it, I will. I usually prefer reading on my Kindle anyway. But when I do need to buy books for school I try to get used books or just check them out from my local library.    

Sell or donate things you don't want anymore: If you don't want something anymore and it's still in good condition, donate it. And if you need the money or it's something that it's in super amazing condition, sell it. I actually made a blog post a while ago about how and where to sell things online and if you want to check that out you can just click here. But from the top of my head, you can always try eBay and Amazon. 

Don't wash you hair everyday: First of all, washing your hair everyday is not a very good idea. I don't know exactly why. All I know is that there's something about letting your roots dry completely so your hair won't fall out and I don't care if you're a boy or a girl - nobody wants their hair to fall off. And also, it's a pain in the ass and ain't nobody got time for that. On top of all that, you're going to save water and money because you'll less of that expensive conditioner, shampoo and styling products. It's a win-win situation! 

I hope you guys enjoyed this post and you if you practice some on of those tips on your everyday life please let know on the comments. A lot of people think that their actions don't matter or that they have little impact in the world as a whole. But when you realize that there are 7.4 billions of us sharing this planet and that you're part of a much much bigger scale, every little thing counts. So, remember to do your part. 


Do you have more tips to share with us?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon. 



1 comment:

  1. You have a lovely blog!
    Chen|www.anicheberry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete