pages

February 29, 2016

Book Review: The Captive Prince by C. S. Pacat.

I first picked up this book because everyone on the internet was saying how it was AH-MA-ZING and that everyone should read it. Granted this is not a very popular book, but I still haven't seen one negative review about it on GoodReads or Youtube. Not one. And I don't really get why. I mean, the book is good but I can definitely see why some people wouldn't like it - including me. I gave The Captive Prince 3.5/5 starts on GoodReads and here is why.

This is the first book in The Captive Prince trilogy and if you look at it on that way it was really well written and put together. It explained the world really well, how things worked and why each character was a certain way. I liked the Game of Thrones vibe, the plot in general, most of the characters and the fact that homosexuality is not seen as a problem.

In the book we follow Damen, the soon to be king of Akielos. When his father dies, his brothers tries to take the throne for himself and sends him as a slave to an enemy nation. He's sent to care for the needs of this nation's prince (soon to be king as well) and things pick from there. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give out any spoilers but I think this is all you need to know going into this book.  

The first thing I didn't like was the way sex was explored and since there's a lot of it going on it was kind of hard for me to over look it. There's a lot of rape, violence and physical punishment. I get that the book is supposed to be set in the past where kings and queens and killing family members to take the throne were a thing, but it was still weird for me and it made me extremely uncomfortable reading about it. And not a lot of things make me uncomfortable.

I also had a few problems with the writing. It was kind of confusing and I sometimes I would finish a page and have to go back to the beginning because I din't quite understand what was going on. Because of that it took me a long time to finish it and in the end I was just tired. You know how some books seem to suck in your energy? The last bad thing I have to say is that I NEED MORE ROMANCE. I was super excited to read about a gay couple, specially in that setting, and I felt like I needed more romance. Maybe it was my fault 'cause I thought the romance was going to be a big part of the book. 

Now, let's talk about the positive parts. I really like the plot and the ide behind it. I liked how the world and the different nations. You can see that the author put in a lot of work into differentiating their different customs, even the way they dress. To me, as a reader, I really appreciated the details and I could construct the whole thing in my head and immerse myself in the story.

The main character, Damen, was a total bae. He was kind and ethical (can't find another world for what I'm trying to say). Even in that crazy setting where everybody thought rape was a form of entertainment (WHAT? Just no. That's not alright even in fiction.) he kept fighting for what he thought was right. 

In the end, putting aside the bad stuff, I think it was a good book. I couldn't see what all the hype was about but I still enjoyed some parts of it. I don't see myself continuing on with the trilogy any time soon. Right now I'm on a major suspense/thriller vibe. I just finished "The Girl in 6E" (soooo goooood) and I'm currently reading "What Alice Forgot" (pretty good so far). 

Have you read The Captive Prince?
Did you like?
What are you currently reading?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll see you soon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...