pages

February 1, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings.

To resume my thoughts on this book in two words I'd say: not original (at all). Needless to say after that but I was not impressed and a little angry with this book. I don't like to bash on books because I can only imagine how hard it is to write a book and get it published, but I really didn't like this. I just finished reading and I want to do this review right now so I don't forget anything important. Also, since I just finished the book my feelings maybe a little too intense but I'm gonna try to be as impartial as possible and not focus only in the things that I didn't like about it. 

My first and main problem with it was, obviously, the fact that I didn't think the story was original. I felt like I was reading Divergent or The Hunger Games all over again, just with a different set of characters and a different group of people controlling society called The Murder Complex, hence the title of the book. 

This is a dystopian novel and it followed Meadow Woodson and her family (sister, bother and dad) in their attempts to survive in this incredibly dangerous world. People are constantly dying, there's always a bunch of corpses on the streets, there's not enough food, not enough jobs and the whole process of getting a job is really messed up. I also feel like I need to warn you that the descriptions are very vivid and explicit, just keep that in mind since there are a lot of graphic deaths in this book.

Meadow crosses path with this boy named Zephyr James (the best part of this book were the names of characters, seriously considering naming my first born Meadow) whose job is to collect the bodies that pile up over night on the streets. I know.. Very creepy. One day, while leaving work she finds him dying on the streets and tries to save him, but since he's just a Ward (people from the lowers classes) the doctor in the hospital doesn't want to save him. But there's a turn of events and she figures out that he's more than just a Ward and things get a little more interesting from there. I don't want to give out any spoilers but they get together to save society from this Murder Complex who is killing everybody.

Another thing I didn't like was the fact that the book is told from two different perspectives. One chapter is from Meadow's point of view and the other from Zephyr's and this got confusing at times. I found myself constantly having to go back to the beginning of the chapter to remember from which perspective I was reading from and in the end I just didn't care anymore.

The turning point wasn't even good or chocking. I'm not going to talk too much about because of spoilers but I just like: "Really, that's the twist?". The whole "this world is dangerous and I have to do everything to survive" thing also got a little boring because it was brought up ALL THE TIME.
source
The positive things for me were the action and the fact that the author didn't rely on the romance to make the story. The entire story is very paced and the action pack. There are a lot of combat scenes, fighting and training. So if you're into that, you might enjoy this book. And the "romance" between Meadow and Zephyr was talked about very briefly in and I believe they have a super fast kiss once.

Having said all that, you guys are going to think I'm crazy, but the book is not particularly bad. I can see how other people can enjoy it, it just wasn't my taste. It was well written and it had its good moments but I couldn't get over the whole lack of originality. I know it's hard to come up with different ideas, specially now that everybody is so caught up in this dystopian vibe, but it just didn't do it for me. 

As I was doing my research before writing this review, I discovered that this is Lindsay's debut novel and I can definitely see how there's room for improvement. Maybe things get better in the next two books but I don't see myself picking them up in the future. 

I gave this book 3 out of 5 starts on GoodReads


Have you guys read The Murder Complex?
What did you think about it?
What are you reading right now?

Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...