pages

March 30, 2016

My Tips For Living A Happier Life.


I've recently made a lot of big changes in my life and pretty much turned things upside down. Although I'm still in the transitioning process and getting used to all these changes, I can already see that I've made the right the choice. I was unhappy, feeling anxious all the time and pretty much second guessing every step I took. I felt like I couldn't move forward or make a decision and when I finally did settle on doing something I would immediately freak out and try my best to go back to where I was before.

The first thing I did was find a psychologist I was comfortable with. I did a lot of talking, a lot of analyzing and a lot of crying too. I started to look at my "problems" and the things I wasn't happy with in a more pragmatic way and I came up with solutions. I talked to my parents to see if they could help me with the most difficult things, like moving out, and it all just started to come together. 

It wasn't easy changing things up and I wouldn't recommend doing it all at once like I did. But in my case I knew that if I didn't go with the motion and just do it all at once I would just chicken out like I was doing before and everything would stay the same. I'm not saying a have recipe for helping you to be happy because we all live very different lives. But I feel like being happy is not always about making big changes like it was for me and I do have some little tips that really helped me out in the process. 


Cut toxic people from your life: This was the most important one for me and that's why it's number one on my list. Don't ever underestimate the power of toxic people in your life. It's like they suck all your energy and bring you down constantly. You feel like you're never good enough so you don't even try. 

I think I've already mentioned it here on the blog but one of my favorite quotes is: "May the bridges I burn light the way". To me it means taking all that energy and time you waste on toxic people and using it towards accomplishing your goals. Some may think it's a little extreme but to me it makes a lot of sense. 

Spend time with friends and family: Surround yourself with positive people. People who want to see you thrive and that inspire you to be successful. I cannot stress how important this is. No matter what path you're on at the moment things we'll get tricky eventually and at some point you're going to feel like it's impossible to keep going and that's when you'll need positive people around to cheer you on along the way 

Stick to your goals: When we are sad or confused we tend to just sit around and do nothing or completely ignore the things we need to do in order to "clear our minds". Although it is good to take sometime out every now and then, when you're confused or sad this might not be the best advice. 

Having something to do, feeling like you have a purpose and that you're actually accomplishing something is always good, specially when you're in that situation. Don't take time out of work or ignore your homework. My best advice would be to stick to the things you're certain in your life like your career, your independence and your education. 

Do something you love everyday: I reserve at least one to two hours every night to do something relaxing that I love. It's my time with myself when I can regroup and unwind. I usually watch a movie, some YouTube videos or read a book. That way, I don't feel like taking as many breaks as usually would throughout the day because I know I'll have time do unwind at night. 

Work out: Working out releases endorphin and endorphin makes you happy. It's that simple. It's science. If you don't believe me, google it! Another good thing about working out is that it makes you more confident. I'm not saying you need to be thin to be confident but toning up doesn't hurt nobody. 

Eat well: I guess what I'm trying to say with these last two tips is just to be good to your body. Focus on you (on your heath and well being) and I guarantee that you'll feel happier and more confident to make all the changes you feel like you need to have a better life. 

Extra tip: Go dancing! This may sound silly and even a little stupid. But, specially if you're a girl, get your friends together, do you make up, get all dolled and go out. I don't know about you but when I look nice, I feel good and confident on the inside. You don't need to go dancing, but to me dancing always helps and it can always count as a work out.

That's all for today, folks! I hope you enjoyed this post and that you at least took something from it. This is just the start of the conversation so feel free to leave me any comments or suggestions. I love hearing from you guys!


Do you have any tips to share with us?


Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk yo you soon. 





2 comments:

  1. Oh my lord I needed this post. DANCING always makes me happy, and being healthy, and looking pretty, and being surrounded by positivity. It's too bad one bit of failure can send me tumbling down a spiral of chocolate and feeling as if I'm not good enough for homework. Thank you for the reminder that I must get off my butt to be happy. The one issue I have though is that cutting toxic people from your life is extremely difficult when you're in high school. I feel like some of these bridges will be impossible to burn until I've graduated. How do you terminate a friendship when you are forced to see them every day?

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, M!
      I thought a lot about your comment. You don't need to burn bridges to distance yourself from negative people. I completely understand what you're saying and I went through something similar when I was in high school. And don't think that this is a high school special situation - when you get older and you start working you'll also be forced to face people you don't like (or negative people) everyday and there's not much you can do about it. I think you should just try to put some distance between you two and only be around them when it's absolutely necessary, for example in class. You don't own them your company. If you can, try having lunch with a different group or pick another friend when you have to do an assignment.
      I don't know how big your school is, but you should try to find a group of friends you click with. I know it's hard, I've been there.. but it's not impossible. Well, I hope my comment was helpful in any way.
      Good luck! Wishing you all the best!

      Delete