pages

May 15, 2016

ALL About Concealers.

Heeeello, everyone!

Hope you're all having an amazing day! I know it's been a long long long time but you know the drill.. Life happens and I suck at time management.. Nothing new here. But the important thing is that I'm coming back today and I'm super excited about today's post. 

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting with my friends at Into The Gloss, a super cool blog-style beauty website, and they asked me if I would be interested in extending the conversation on concealers here on the blog and I was like: YES, please! First of all, I love ITG. And second of all, I know I've been slacking on the beauty posts and since a lot of you guys seemed to be quite interested in them.. Here we go!

I don't think it's news to anyone over here but I'm not a big fan of foundations. I live in Brazil and foundation + hot and humid weather = disaster. And since I still have a some "problem" areas I'd like to cover (the occasional blemish and the 50 shades of purple under my eyes) concealer is my go-to makeup product. If you don't want a lot of coverage and just wants to even out your skin tone so you're features can pop, all you need is a good concealer and a little bit of powder to set everything.
Maybelline FITme Concealer in Sand Sable: this is my current all-time-can't-live-without favorite. I love the shade range, the formula and even the packaging. I use this on days where I want a heavier coverage and because it's more of a thick consistency I would recommend it for times when you're not wearing foundation. 

MAC Select Cover-Up in NC30: I've recently rediscovered this concealer in my collection. I was going through half/almost empty products to do the Back-To-MAC thing and I found this, which was almost completely full and I've been wearing it ever since. This is what I bring with me in my "everyday makeup back" because it's so convenient for touch ups throughout the day. It doesn't give a lot of coverage and it's very liquid-y but is what I like about it. It's perfect to pair it with foundation and for touch ups because it takes a lot of this product to make you look cakey. 

Essence Match2Cover Cream Concealer: this concealer is a total hidden gem. I don't see a lot of people talking about it on the internet and I don't know why. It's affordable, it gives great coverage and the best part is that you get two shades in one product. I usually mix the two  but you can obviously use one for concealing and the lighter for highlighting. 
To Cover: this is the most basic and simple way to wear concealer. You just put wherever you feel like you need coverage. In my case, I focus on the under eye area and extend "the triangle" a little bit downwards and on my eyelids. I also put some on my chin and on whatever blemish I might have. After that you just set everything with your everyday powder, finish off the rest of your makeup and you're good to go.    

To Highlight: highlighting has been all the rage right now. Although you won't get the exact some glow you would get with a "proper" highlighter like MAC's Soft and Gentle, you can still get a pretty good look using just a lighter shade of concealer. 

For this trick I would recommend using a more "liquid" concealer (like MAC Select Cover-Up) because it will blend better and you avoid the "cakey" look. And then all you have to do is apply it on the areas you want highlighted. I like to draw a line from the center of my forehead to the tip of my nose, on top of my cheekbones (above the blush area) and on my jaw line (under the contour) and that's it.  

To Contour: you don't need those $100 contour palettes to get a good contour. I believe that less is more and that you don't need an specific product for every single step when you're doing your makeup. It can make your life easier and it is fun to try out new products but it can also take a toll on your budget and nobody wants that. I also prefer to contour with a concealer because I think it looks more natural and it's easier to blend it all out with the rest of your makeup. 

All you need for this step is a concealer a couple of shades darker than your skin tone and if you can try to find a stick concealer 'cause it's easier to apply and it gives you more precision. I mean.. it's not life your doing surgery but contouring only works if you put it in specific areas otherwise you'll just look bronzed (which is not a bad thing).

Everyday: for my "everyday" look my goal is to even out the skin. That way my imperfections are not focus when you look at me and you can see my eyes and killer brows better. I tend to do a mix of concealing and highlighting with two different concealers (a lighter one and one closer to my skin tone), set it all with some MAC Studio Fix and apply a little bit of blush and lipstick. 

All-out party time: whenever I go out to a club (which is not often) or a bar I put a little more effort on my makeup and since I usually have more time than my 5 minute morning routine I like to go all out. I do the concealing, the highlighting, the contouring, blush, smokey eye and brows. I don't think there's a right or a wrong when it comes to makeup but when you're going for a "heavier makeup" look and doing all the contouring and whatnot I would recommend putting some effort in the eyes and lips as well. 

I think you need to balance out everything and if you're just focusing on the face, the eyes and the brows tend to look a bit lost in all the makeup and it just seems lost. I guess my advice would be: if you going for natural go for natural in the entire face and if you're going for dive-glamour-party-time go for it full on.      

Having said all of that, I'm a strong believer that women shouldn't feel like they "need" to wear makeup (or anything else for that matter). To me makeup is something fun and enjoyable. It's one of the many ways I've found to express myself and to just feel extra-pretty when I feel like it. I don't wear makeup everyday but if you do more power to you, girl.

I guess that's all the beauty knowledge I have for today, guys! I hope you enjoyed the post and found it helpful. If you get the chance make sure you check out Into The Gloss. And as always, let me know your thoughts and opinions on the comments. I love hearing from you!

Do you have any concealer tips to share with us?
What's your favorite concealer?

Thanks so much for reading and I talk to you soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...