pages

May 27, 2016

Reading Wrap Up | May, 2016.

May was a really good reading month for me. I not only read quite a lot (six books total) but I also read some great books. I don't think I disliked any of them and that's a first for me. Not that I'm constantly reading bad books but since I tend to watch a lot of booktube and whatnot sometimes you go with the hype and end up catching some bad apples.

I think I'm going to start doing more wrap-ups because it's easier for me to talk about all the books in one post rather than writing a review specifically for each book I read. I feel like reading an entire post about only one book gets a bit boring, and, to be honest, I never have a lot to say about the books I read. Even if I love it, I just want to say "hey read this book 'cause it was awesome". And when I don't love it I always feel bad about writing an entire post about the reasons I didn't like a book. Anyway, just something I wanted to get your opinion on. 

Now, let's get to the books.

Bone Gap - Laura Ruby: This book was weird. I mean.. I liked it but it was SUPER weird. It's one of those stories where you don't know what is real and what isn't and although I liked it, it got really confusing at times. What I loved the most about this book were the characters. They are all so different and if you look at each one of them separately they don't have anything in common, but somehow, Laura Ruby makes everything work out beautifully.   

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling: Obvious reread. I decided to pick this one up because I somethings happened in the beginning of the month and I was feeling a little sad and needed a pick me up. I don't know what to say, this book just feels like home to me. I think Harry Potter is like comfort food in book form. About the book, there's not much to say just, if you haven't read it GO READ IT NOW. It will seriously change your life. 

Bossypants - Tina Fey: Well, this book was a pleasant surprise. I decided to read it because I read Amy Poehler's book "Yes, please" last month and loved it (I loved it so much that I wrote an entire post about it) so I thought I'd pick this one as well and I'm glad I did. As you'd expect it's about Tina Fey's life and her career. And it is unbelievably funny and full of life lessons. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone, specially young women. It was really good.  

Wedding Night - Sophie Kinsella: Loved it, loved it, loved it. I still haven't found a Sophie Kinsella book I don't like. To me, her books are the definition of beach read: they're funny, gripping and just put you in a good mood. I always find myself connecting with the characters and this time was no different. The story is about a girl and how every time she breaks up with a boyfriend she ends up making a rash and crazy decision that she'll most likely regret in the future.. Like joining a cult and marrying a man she hasn't seen in more than 10 years. The story unfolds as she opts for the later and her sister tries to save her from herself in the weirdest and funniest way possible. This book was amazing and I plan on reading every book Sophie Kinsella has ever written.  

Night Film - Marisha Pessl: This was dark and amazing. Dark to the point where I avoided reading it at night because if I did I couldn't fall a sleep easily. Amazing to the point where when you finish it you're like "WTF? GIVE ME MORE!" even though the book was 600 pages. This book was huge for a reason and you can clearly see how much work the author put into it. I'm not gonna say a lot about it (mostly because there a lot to it) but this book was perfection. It's mostly about an investigative journalist who finds himself investigating the murder of the daughter of a very famous film director. I'm not doing it justice but if you like thrillers or mysteries at all, you should read this book, even if you don't like the premise. This book has so many layers and stories inside it that there's something for everyone in it. But also, if you don' like mysteries and thrillers you're going to hate it. I should also say that there are some very vivid elements and scenes that involve black magic, spells and all that dark stuff and they're pretty scary.

The Deal - Elle Kennedy: Cutest romance ever. I just finished reading this today and I really liked it. I liked how the author build the love story and the fact that it wasn't an insta-love. I liked the plot and, although they were a little superficial, I really liked the characters. My main problem with romance books is that they're 100% predictable. I mean.. I get it, it's romance and I would also be mad if they didn't end up together but it's like these books follow a pattern. Girl meets boy, likes him, they get together, something happens and they break up, something happens again and they get together again. I'm not saying this as bad thing, it was what I was expecting to find and I like the book. It is what it is. 

That's all for today, guys! I hope you enjoyed the post and let me know on the comments some of the books you've read this month. I'm always intrigued to know what other people are reading. If you have a GoodReads account also let me know so we can be friends over there as well.  

What are some of the books you've read this month?
Have you read any of these books?
Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...