pages

June 27, 2016

Reading To Improve Myself.


Well, it's no secret to anyone over here that I read a lot. And when I say a lot I mean it, we're talking about 40 books so far this year (we're going for 100 until December). And I love it. I remember loving it ever since I was a kid and I blame J.K. Rowling and Meg Cabot for it. Actually, I was talking to my mom the other day and she told me she has no idea where I picked up the reading habit. She admitted that she didn't even push reading on me and my sister while we were growing up so I guess Rowling really is the guilty one in this matter. 

Anyway, back to subject. Although I read a lot I don't feel like the books I've been reading lately have been adding a lot of knowledge or substance to my life. I mostly read romances and thrillers and, let's face it, they don't pack a lot of substance in them, despite being incredibly fun and entertaining. So, being faced with this "problem" I decided to turn on my Kindle and get some books that I believe will help me "improve myself".

And I'm not talking exclusively about self-help books (I think I only have one of those in this list), I'm also adding some classics that I think I should have read by now and some other "business-y books" that I believe will help me out in this moment of my life. I guess that's all for the introduction, let's get to the books!

The Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg: I've actually already started reading this book and I don't know why I put it down because I was really enjoying. It's a little repetitive sometimes but I understand that it kind of has to so that the message with stick in your brain. Just like the title says, it's all about the power of implementing good habits in your daily life to help you achieve the things that you want.  
The Personal MBA - Josh Kaufman: Thomas Frank talked about this book on his YouTube channel and I thought it sounded pretty good. If you don't know who he is go check out his website, College Info Geek, because it's awesome. He gives tips on studying, time management, achieving your goals and all that good stuff. Apparently, this book teaches you certain important tools and things that you would learn with a MBA program. Don't quote me on this 'cause I could be wrong but it sounds interesting.
#GIRLBOSS - Sophia Amoruso: A couple of months ago this book was everywhere. Some people loved it, some hated it. I want to read it because not matter how you feel about Sophie Amoruso you can't deny she's a successful woman and I love reading about successful women. I also follow her on social media and she seems awesome.  
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen: Can you believe I still haven't read a Jane Austen book? I decided to start with this one 'cause it was free on the Kindle store and because I've watched the movie with Keira Knightly and I love her (and the movie). It's also everybody's favorite Jane Austen book apparently so it has to be good.   
To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee: Another classic I've never read. For the classics category I just chose the ones that I thought I might enjoy and this one sounds pretty good. I also won a Pulitzer and one of my "reading resolutions" for 2016 was to read award winning novels. Killing two birds with stone! Get it?! HA! I'm so funny.  
1984 - George Orwell: Actually, a teacher of mine recommend me this one and now I have high hopes for it. He said I should read all of Orwell's books but I'm starting with this one and we'll see how things go from there. It has a pretty cool premise and I'm kind of excited to get to it.   
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini: This one follows in the "gaining new perspectives" category. I remember a couple of my friends read it when it came and they all said it was AMAZING (incredibly said at times, but amazing) so I'm excited for this one. I haven't watched the movie yet but as soon as I finish this I plan on watching it. 
Never Eat Alone - Keith Ferrazzi: My cousin was the one who recommend this one to me. She said it's about networking and just making connections with people at work and on your daily life in general. According to her and the reviews I've seen online it sounds pretty good. I actually got the audiobook for this one and I plan on starting this week.
The Invention of Wings - Sue Monk Kidd: Another example of "gaining new perspectives" category and I blame Oprah for this one. It was feature on her book club (I'm sucker for these things) and if Oprah chose it, it's probably good. Anyway, the reviews are great and it doesn't look like something I would pick up by myself. 
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Marie Kondo: I feel like everybody was talking about this book when it came and saying how amazing and life changing it was. And since I've always struggled with being organize and creating a good environment for being productive I thought reading this might help. I'm actually planning on get the audiobook for this one as well because I feel like with these kinds of books listening to it is better. I don't know.. Let me know what you think if you've read it.   

Those are all the books in my list so far. There's always room for more so if you have any recommendations please let me know on the comments. I just want you guys to keep in mind that this is just something I'm doing because I want to change things up and use the time that I spend reading to "better myself" and explore different points of views. There's absolutely nothing wrong with reading YA or Contemporary books, actually if you read my June Wrap Up that's coming up later this week you'll see that I'm a big fan of those genres.

Well, if you'd like to you're more than welcomed to join me in this new "challenge". I'll do my best to get to this books by the end of the year and I'll feature them in future wrap ups and whatnot.

Do you have any books to recommend?
Have you read any of the ones that I mentioned? 

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...