pages

August 6, 2016

Reading Wrap Up | July, 2016.


Last month's wrap up is coming to you guys a little late. You guys know the drill, life happens, I get busy and the blog falls to the background. I missed blogging, I missed talking about books and I'm happy I get to do this today. I gave myself a little mini-break this week since I don't have classes and I'm planning on doing a lot of blogging, reading and relaxing so if you have any books to recommend now would be the perfect time.

July was a weird month reading wise. I thought I haven't read many books but I checked my GoodReads account last night and discovered that I've actually read 4 books. I was so busy with studying that it felt like this month dragged on for ages and I completely lost track of time. But apparently I've read some great books!
Everything Leads To You - Nina LaCour: I gave this one 5 out 5 stars. It was seriously that good. I love it when you can see the amount of work the author put into a book and this was totally the case. The plot was amazing and I loved all the characters. The main character is Emi who is a set designer and part of her job is finding unique pieces for the sets she's building. One afternoon she goes to a state sale in the house of a famous actor who has recently passed away and she discovers a letter. And from there the story progresses as she tries to connect the pieces and find out more about the life of this actor and the mystery behind the letter. 

I also loved the friendship aspect and how it didn't magically fade away when the main character started to fall in love (I hate when authors do that). But one of the highlights of this book for me was how the author portraits Emi's sexuality. I feel like when books have gay characters they are either complete stereotypes or their sexuality is their main personality trait, which is never the case with heterosexual characters. But with Emi the fact that she's a lesbian is just a given thing and it's not the main thing that defines her. 

Overall, this book was amazing. Thinking about it now I can't point out one thing that I didn't like about it. This was my first Nina Lacour book and I plan on reading more as soon as possible. 
Wait For You - Jennifer L. Armentrout: I liked this book. But I didn't love it. It was cute and fluffy romance with lots and lots of cliches. It follows the typical script of: boy meets girl, they fall in love, something bad happens, they break up, the make up, the end. Having said that, I enjoyed reading it. Sometimes you need a book to clear your mind and just relax and this was it for me. If you're not a fan of romances, this is definitely not the book for you. But if you're looking for a beach read or something like that (with lots of romance) maybe you should give this a try. I don't know if this part of a series or a trilogy. I do have the second book but I'm not planning of reading it anytime soon. 
The Girls - Emma Cline: I decided to read this book because I saw it on GoodReads as the "top pick of the month" or something like that. I didn't know anything about it and I was completely surprised. In a positive way. I feel like if you think of the overall plot this is already a great book, but if you read between the lines and really focus on the particulars of the story you'll see that this book also has a great message about finding yourself, discovering your worth and also discovering how to be woman.

My favorite part about this book is how the author described the cult and how she built the characters. Now, I've never been on a cult and this is not something I usually read about but I loved it. Emma Cline explains throughout the book a little bit of "the girls" past and how/why they ended up joining the cult showing that you don't have to be "crazy" to join a cult and how little by little you get sucked in. She portraits perfectly the appeal of it all and how feeling lonely and misunderstood is a big part of it. 

I also loved the main character. In my opinion, Evie is the perfect image of a young girl feeling lost and the struggles every girl goes through in their teenage years. It also shows how the lack of good role models and present parents can affect them. I loved this book and I feel like it will stay with me for a while.       
Landline - Rainbow Rowell: I really liked this book. It wasn't my favorite Rainbow Rowell book, but it was still pretty good. I think I gave it 4 stars on GoodReads. This book is about a couple (Georgie and Neal) that is having problems with their marriage. They plan on going to his parent's house for Christmas but she ends up having to stay behind because of work and he has to go alone with their daughters. While they are apart she finds a magic phone on her childhood room which she can use to call the past. Yeap, that's pretty much it.

While this book was frustrating at parts, it was very cute story. I liked the characters, specially Noomi and Alice (the daughters) and Heather (the sister). I also liked how original certain aspects of the story were, like Georgie's job as a TV writer, which made the whole plot unique and fun. The frustrating part for me was, surprisingly, Georgie. She was annoying, complaining all the time and kind of childish for a thirty-something woman. It took her the entire book to do something that she should have done from the beginning and that kind of pissed me off. But the book was good. It was an easy read and super fun.   


Well, July was a really good reading month for me and I hope August is the same. I liked every book I've read and this not something that happens often. Like I said before, if you have any recommendations for me please let me know on the comments. 

What was your favorite book this month?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment