pages

August 22, 2016

The Struggles of Being a Reader.

Guys, being a reader in 2016 is not an easy task. In the old days you could just stroll through the bookstore and pick out the books that caught your attention hoping they would be good. But nowadays we have BookTube, book blogs, GoodReads, Bookstagram and something else that I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention right now. At first, you might think that that' s a good thing: the more reviews the easier it is to make a choice, right?! WRONG! SO WRONG!

With all of the that, the options and the recommendations are endless. I add new books in my to-read shelf on GoodReads every single day and right now I have exactly 226 books over there. And that's just on GoodReads! Don't even ask me about all the books I have in a my real shelves at home and on my Kindle just waiting to be read. We get sucked in by the cute covers and the hype that surrounds a new release and the next thing we know we want it, we need it, we get it and it goes on the pile with all the others stunning books to be read. Now, tell me this is not a struggle!  

So many book, so little time (and money): I think this is the biggest struggle. I cannot describe the feeling I get when I go to the bookstore and have to restrain myself because I know it's not humanly possible to read all the books that I want to read in one lifetime. It's just how life goes and we need to expect it. But it hurts nonetheless. 

Disliking a hyped book: I'm gonna be honest here, when that happens I feel like the internet cheated on me. I mean, how could you nurture my expectations like that just so the ground would be pulled from under me? Not cool, internet. Not cool at all. And you want to say it's going to happen again, but you know it will and there's very little you can do about it.  

Ignoring the hype: Not paying attention to the hype is hard because the hype is everywhere, on Twitter, on Instagram, on YouTube... And it seems like to no matter what you do you end up giving in because so many people are talking and talking about the same book and it gets into your head. I can't help it, when it comes to book (and only then) I'm weak!  

If it's 0,99 cents (or cheap in general), I need it: If there's one thing that really brightens up my day is seeing a 0,99 cents book on Amazon. It's like the universe is giving me a present and when that happens I'm sorry but I just can't ignore the universe. 

GoodReads star rating system: When are we getting the possibility of a half, GoodReads? When? It's 2016 and I think it's time. You can't just give us a 5 star system and expect an accurate rating. 

Should I go for the audiobook?: Some books are better on audio, that's just a fact. Especially when the author is the one narrating it or when it's a memoir. But you never know for sure when you're going to prefer the audio version or not and sometimes we just have to take a leap of faith. 

Disliking a book from your favorite author: This breaks my heart because we love that author, we do! We loved his previous work so when we find a book that we don't love it's so hard to give it a bad rating but we have to do it. And after I do it I just feel sad on the inside.

Those are all the struggles I could think of right now! If you have more to add to the list please leave it on the comments below. I hope you guys liked it. This was supposed to be a funny take on the many "struggles" we face as readers. It was just supposed to be funny and entertaining and I hope I made you laugh.

Do you share the struggles?
Thanks so much for reading and have a good day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...