pages

September 17, 2016

Minimalist Journey Update.

Heeello, everyone!

It's been more than a year since I've started to apply minimalism into my everyday life and I thought it would be cool talk about it over here today and reflect on what I've learned so far. I love discussing these topics here on the blog because I feel like everyone has something to offer to the discussion and I really value different points of view so don't be shy on the comments, guys! 

My first post about minimalism was published here on the blog in May of last year. Although some things have changed since then, I do still believe in most of the things I wrote in that post. One of them, is that I believe the way you implement minimalism in your life is completely up to you. There's not a particular set of rules you need to follow and the best time to start is right now. To me, minimalism is all about downsizing/declutering your life in every aspect. 

Because I'm a beauty junkie, I started with my beauty products. And like I said before, I took all my "extra products" and put them in a box on the back of my closet because I felt bad about just throwing them away. That's one of the things that I think I did wrong. I'm pretty sure I won't ever get to those products so a while back I took the box to my sister's house and she took whatever she wanted and after that I just donate the rest to my local church. The thing with beauty products is that it takes a very loooong time to use one up completely and by the time I finish one I'm excited because I get to try something new. Having that box of products I didn't love and pushing myself to use them wasn't making me excited about makeup anymore and it literally felt like a burden. So, at the end of the day, donating was the best solution I found. 

The next thing I tackled was my bookshelf. I had way to many book that I would never read or reread, and they were just gathering dust. It was actually quite easy to donate all of them. I only kept my favorite ones, like the Harry Potter series and some of recent purchases. Since I read a lot and I love books, I decided to not buy physical books anymore. Now, I do most of my reading on my Kindle and if I miss reading physical books I just get them from my local library. I know this may not work for a lot of people, but this way I save money (which is a huge perk) and avoid clutter. If you have this problem with books in your house, try the library.  

My closet was another easy task. I'm not as attached to clothes as I am with makeup, so everything that didn't fit me, was stained, had holes in it had to go. I also parted with some items that I new I was not going to wear and that I haven't worn in a while. In these situations, you need to be honest with yourself. You know deep down if you're going to use a certain item or not, so just do it. If it gets hard to part with some things just think of all the people you'll be helping by donating these clothes and how much easier your life will be without the all the clutter.   

One of the things I've been avoiding too are knickknacks and things without a purpose, like candles and other decoration items. My desk was full of them. I just find them distracting in my work place and they were just collecting dust. I do still have a couple items: like one scented candle in my bathroom and one picture frame on my desk. But that's just me. I wasn't a big fan of these thing anyway so decluterring felt good. 

Things have become easier since I've started. I don't get as many urges to shop as I used to and my life has become easier in general. Getting ready in the morning, finding things in my bathroom and getting work done in my room are easier now. I haven't been tracking my spending as I should so this is something I want to start now. Like, every time I refrain from buying something, I want to add up that amount and see how much money I'm saving or something like that - I'm not sure how I'm going to this yet. 

But, overall, adapting to this lifestyle has made me more mindful of everything. I pay more attention to what I'm buying in general, even at the supermarket. I don't have food going to waste anymore and I've been recycling or donating almost 95% of everything that goes out of my house. 

The best part is that now, I'm only surrounded by the things that I love. And that's why I think everyone should at least try doing something like this. Especially in your bedroom, which is the place where we have to unwind, relax and sleep. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about minimalism and if you're interested in it, just try it out and see if it's for you or not. Take baby steps if you think it's too much to do all at once. 

I guess that's all I have to say for now. If you have any questions or doubts let me know on the comments and we can chat about it. Also, leave me any suggestions and opinions you might have, even if you don't agree with me on this topic I still want to hear what you have in mind. 

What do you think about minimalism?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you real soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment