pages

September 30, 2016

Reading Wrap Up // September, 2016.

I feel like I say this in every Wrap Up, but I can't believe we're at the end of September.. Time is going by so quickly, the year is almost over and I still have so many books I still need to read. Reading wise, this month was pretty good. I've read a total of 5 books, not bad but I could do better. I still need 12 books to complete my Reading Challenge for 2016, but well get there!

Out of the 5 books, 2 were great, 2 were not good, one was pretty good. I tried participating in the IndieReadathon, but things didn't work out. I feel like indie/self-published books are more often a miss than a hit, so next time I'm sticking with recommendations, like the Addicted Series by Krista Ritchie and Becca Ritchie that everyone is raving about.

 
Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty // I'm not a big fan of Liane Moriarty. I think her books are usually too slow and she just keeps going on and on about every little character trait. This book was no different, but, surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. I think it's due to the fact that I got the audiobook version and I really liked the narrator. The characters were strong and memorable. I could relate to them. I liked the plot, specially the end.

The Final Arrangement by Annie Adams // I strongly disliked this book. I think it's one of (if not the) worst book I've read this year, and it's so sad because I really wanted to like it. This was the first book I've read for the IndieReadathon, and I'm pretty sure this is the reason why I had such a hard time with it. The plot wasn't gripping, I didn't relate with the characters and the pace was incredibly slow. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this. Oh, and this put me in a major reading slump!

Seaside Dreams by Melissa Foster // This was the second and final book I read for the IndieReadathon. This was better than the first one, but it was still week. I liked the beginning, the whole small town vibe and the insta-love didn't bother me that much. But as the story progressed, things got very repetitive and I felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again. There were too many characters, and at the end I couldn't tell them apart 'cause they were all too similar.

You Know Me Well by Nina LaCOUR and David Levithan // THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD! I already knew that I loved Nina, but now I want to read everything from David Levithan. I loved everything about it, the plot, the characters and the fact that it deals with diversity. I'm not gay, and my gay friends haven't read this book yet, so I can't say if it's a good representation of LGBTQ. But, in my opinion, I think it is. The characters were so strong, and I loved the fact that being gay is not the only thing that defines them. They have their own interests and other things they are dealing with, like graduating high school, going off to college and falling in love. This book was too short and I want more from these authors.

Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella // Sophie Kinsella is one of my favorite authors, and I still haven't found one of her books that I didn't enjoy. I know a lot of people had problems with this book and the way it portraits anxiety, but I really liked it. The story is about a girl that has extreme anxiety because of some horrible bullying episode that happened to her in school. One of the main complaints I've seen online is the fact that the boy seems to come in and save the day. But I didn't see it that way. I felt like Audrey did most of the work, and I saw the boy as an extra push in the right direction. Overall, this was a great book, not my favorite from Sophie, but still really good and funny (her books are always funny).

Those are all the books I read this month! I hope you enjoyed this post, and let me know if you've read any of the books mentioned. I'm pretty happy with the amount of books I've read but I feel like I could do more. Hopefully, I'll read more in October! If you have any scary books to recommend, please leave me a comment.

What books did you read this month?
What was your favorite?

Thanks so much for reading and have a great day!




No comments:

Post a Comment