pages

September 19, 2016

The Extreme Materialist Side Of Blogging

I've been wanting to write this post for a long time, but it took me a while to get my thoughts together on this matter. Nevertheless, you guys know me and when I'm writing about things I'm passionate about or that I believe are important my thoughts get messy and I tend to ramble, so bare with me please. I just did an update on my minimalist lifestyle so I thought this would be the perfect post to follow that, since cutting back on shopping and minimalism go hand in hand in my opinion. 

I don't know if some of you have noticed, but beauty or fashion hauls were never a regular thing over here. I used to make them in the beginning 'cause I felt like that's what you do when you want to be a blogger, but they were never my thing. I think this is mostly due to the fact that I never buy a lot of things at the once and, more recently, the minimalist lifestyle. 

I've only had my blog for a couple of years now, but I've been "participating" (as in watching videos, reading blogs and commenting on everything) in the online beauty community for a while, and the amount of things people buy never ceases to astonish me. I know some people have stuff sent to them, and for others buying and reviewing products is their job. I understand that, but the extreme materialist side of blogging kind of bothers me. 

I think we, as bloggers, need to be conscious of the message we're sending to our readers. Bloggers are influencers, some more than others. You influence people in their shopping habits, therefore you have the moral obligation of telling the truth. I don't like it when bloggers send the image of: hey, look at all the stuff I have! And then in the bottom of the post or the video they put all the links you need to get all of that stuff too, but they conveniently leave out the fact that most of it they got sent by brands.

I know you're not making anyone buy anything, but taking yourself out of the equation is not right either. You, as a blogger or youtuber, play a part in this and you can't ignore that. Therefore, things need to be said. When you get a product from a brand, your readers need to know. When you review something, you need to give an honest opinion. It's not that hard, and to me this is just common decency and being a good person.   

When it comes to these topics you need to ask yourself if you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution. You can't ignore the role you play in people's lives when you have a big online platform. And when you realize the amount of young girls on the internet these days, this problem becomes even bigger and more pressing.

I hope I'm getting my message across. My problem is not with people having things. My problem is with people portraying the things they have in the wrong light, sending the wrong image or not telling the whole truth. This just adds fuel to a society where people feel like the things they have is what defines them. Being a influencer is not all rainbows and butterflies. You need to consider the weight your opinion has when people are making decisions. Especially when it comes to spending money. 

I guess that's all I have to say for now. I'm not judging anyone on how they spend their money. Everybody has their own life and they can live it how they choose. I just wanted to open other people's eyes to this not-so-good side of the online beauty community that has been bothering me lately. If you have an online following please remember that what you say or do influence people and just be mindful of the message you're sending.   


Join the discussion!
What are your thoughts one this topic?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment