pages

September 8, 2016

YouTube DRAMA.

No, I'm not involved in any YouTube drama myself (I'm not even on YouTube) but I wanted to write this post anyway because it's something that has been bothering me for a while. I'm not even gonna lie, I'm kind of scared of writing this but.. This is my personal blog and it's a place where I share my content and where I sometimes like to vent so consider this a rant post or something.  

First, I just want to say that I won't be saying names or pretending that I know the "inside scoop" or anything like that. This is coming from a girl who spends way too much time on YouTube and that's it. I'm just a subscriber and I'm really not liking what I've been seeing in some of the channels I'm subscribed to. I know I can just unsubscribe and, believe me, I did but I think this part of a much bigger issue and this what I'm here to talk about. And just one last thing before I continue, if you've been keeping up with the blog for a while you know that I tend to ramble and to go on tangents when I do these kinds of posts so just bare with me and I'm sorry for that. 

YouTube has become a weird place. I feel like every time I go in there there's something going on. My recommendation area is full of videos titled "Coming clean", "The truth about so and so", "So and so EXPOSED" and many more. People are lying, manipulating their viewers, "putting on a show"  and somehow, that's ok. Somehow they're all making money, living luxurious lives and having fans. I'm starting to see a pattern. They do creepy and shaddy things (gain views = money), do a buuuuunch of videos talking about it and explaining themselves and then they do a long and "heart felt" video apologizing for it (gaining more money). 

And honestly, what does that say about us (the viewers)? Because the creators or youtubers, they are doing this for money. People do weird shit for money and that's sad and fucked up but that's what people do and they've been doing it for ages. But they only do it because there's people all around the world eager to watch it. I know it's part human nature to be curious but, at this point, I'm not even curious anymore. Whenever I see a video stupid title like "Exposing Youtubers" or (my favorite) "I'm Sorry" I know it's bullshit. And if it isn't bullshit, I don't really care anymore. If you're all the time making videos to say you're sorry about lying or about one thing or another I don't want to give you anymore views.   

I'm not saying that youtubers that do these kinds of things are right, but you can't ignore the role that the viewers play in this show. It's all too weird for me and I'm sorry I keep using this word but there's no better way to describe. I think some viewers (and from everything I'm saying here just know that I'm aware that not everybody is the same) get too wrapped up in youtubers lives and drama and, in my opinion, it's not healthy. You're just giving attention, recognition and money to people who are only being dishonest or fake. And that's not doing you any good either.

This is what's been going on in my mind lately. I've been watching YouTube for years now and it has never been this crazy. Like I said before, everyday I find out something weirder and it's kind of freaking me out because I'm honestly afraid of what's coming next. I feel like YouTube has been transformed into really bad reality television and that's scary. Viewers and creators should take a step back and rethink what they are doing, what kind of content they're putting out there and if that's what they want to be known for. Because, guys, the internet is not written in pencil, you can't erase it. Everything you put on here is here to stay and it's here for everyone (the entire world) to see it.

That's all I have to say for now on this matter. My goal is not target anyone in particular, it's just a "trend" that I've been seeing lately and that's been really bothering me. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, although I don't think I did. I tried to be really impartial and to consider both sides. And like I said before, there's an exception to every rule and I'm not saying that all youtubers are fake and we should stop watching Youtube forever.

What are your thoughts about that?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll see you soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment