pages

October 30, 2016

Reading Wrap Up | October, 2016.

It's the end of the month and you know the drill: It's Wrap Up time! Today was actually a super productive reading month, and I was not expecting it. I was super busy, but I still managed to read 7 books and 1 short story. I always feel like I didn't read anything and then I check my GoodReads at the end of month and I'm always a little surprised. I'm not complaining, though! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to surpass my Reading Challenge and that's pretty awesome.

But about this month, I tried to focus on spooky/horror reads but, as you'll see, I didn't do a great job. I only read one spooky book, but I did finish A Series of Unfortunate Events and I'm REALLY proud of myself - it took me almost 10 years to finish this series, but I did it! Always believe in yourselves, guys. Always. Never say never. Anyway, I'm gonna stop with the jokes and let's get to the books.

 
  

Rolling in the Deep - Mira Grant | I'm not sure if this is a book or a short story because it's only 128 pages. I think it's book and GoodReads counts it as book. I liked this one, but it wasn't a favorite. I was expecting more, more horror and more scary. It was interesting. If you enjoy reading about mermaids, give this a go. But if you don't, I would skip it.
2.5 STARS.

A Good Marriage - Stephen King | This is definitely a short story, but GoodReads counts it as a book towards my Reading Challenge so I'm not complaining. This was really good, but I wanted more. This story could easily be unfolded into a regular size book and I'm just sad it wasn't. I know this is a movie now and I'm super excited to watch it. If you're looking for a quick read, which I totally was, this will be perfect for you. This is basically about your average couple, married for 25 years, grown kids, and everything is fine. One day, while the husband is traveling, the wife discovers her husbands secret and things unfold from there. It's good, it's gripping, I just wanted more. 
4 STARS.    

My Heart and Other Black Holes - Jasmine Warga | I was not expecting to love this book so much. I picked this one up because I wanted a light YA read after all those mysteries I was reading and this one didn't disappoint. This book is about a girl (Aysel) who is depressed because of something her father did and she decides she wants to commit suicide. She goes to an online website for people who are looking for suicide partners and there she meets Roman, who is also looking for a suicide partner. From there, they develop a weird sort of friendship/relationship and then you need to read the book so see what happens. This book was so good and the characters were amazing. Totally recommend this if you're looking for a good YA to read next.  
5 STARS.

The Good Girl - Mary Kubica | This was a let down. It was slow paced, I didn't really relate to the characters and I felt like nothing was happening. I kept waiting for the plot twist to blow my mind and it just didn't. I was expecting so much more and I was so disappointed after reading this. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone and I cannot understand how so many people seem to be loving it.
2 STARS.  

The End - Lemony Snicket | So many feelings about the end of this series. I'll definitely write an entire post about his series, so for now I'm just gonna say that I loved. It was the perfect ending.
5 STARS.

The Penultimate Peril - Lemony Snicket | Not my favorite one of the series, but I still enjoyed reading it.
4 STARS.

We All Looked Up - Tommy Wallach | Good, not great, just good. I had absolutely no idea what this book was about when I started reading it, and I'm not sure this is the way to go. Actually, if I knew what it was about I would probably not read it. Anyway, in this book we follow the lives of a couple of characters (can't remember how many) as an asteroid orbits Earth and there's a 60% chance that it will actually hit the planet. It has a cool premise and I like the overall message of it. But, some of the characters annoyed me and I didn't really care for them. It wasn't that bad, though. It was just ok.
3 STARS.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Marie Kondo | This book really is life-changing. I listened to the audiobook and for me that's the way to go. I can't actually read self-help books. I don't know why, but every time I try I get bored or loose interest in the subject. But this was a really good one. I picked it up because of all the hype online, and although I don't agree with everything in it, I'll certainly try out some of the tips to see if they work for me.
4 STARS.


These are all the books I've read this month. If you have any recommendations please leave it in the comments, as well as any thoughts or opinions you might have. I'm pretty happy with seven books in a month, hopefully I'll keep this up until December because I still have way too many books I want to read until the end of the year.

What was your favorite book this month?
What books do you plan on reading until the end of the year?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...