pages

November 14, 2016

10 Things I've Learned From Minimalism.

Heeeello, everyone!

This is going to be a chatty post and I'm going to ramble. You've been warned. I've been seeing these posts everywhere on the internet and I decided to share with you guys the things that I've learned. I'm still trying and decluterring (it's a never-ending job), seeing what works for me and what doesn't, but I've doing it for a couple of months now and I think I have some cool things to share. Minimalism is not a 'one size fits all' label, you can apply it many different ways and have completely different outcomes since we all live very different lives. To me, it's all about simplifying and making room for the things that you love and making time for the things that matter.

If you want to share some of the things you've learned, I'd love to hear it. I think we can all learn from each other when it comes to minimalism. There's not a specific set of rules you need to follow, this is not a '12 step program' kind of thing. You can do it however you like and however it works for you. Anyway, let me tell you the things that I've learned so far! 


1. Ain't No Shame In Repeating Outfits.
This was a hard thing for me to accept. I was one of those people who went out to buy a new outfit whenever I had a special event, and that's just soooo bad. For everything. It's bad for your wallet, for the environment and for your home. The easiest way to go broke is by spending money on clothes because that's vicious cycle. There's always going to be a new trend, a new season, a new collection, and you don't need to keep up with all of that. I know you feel like you do, I used to feel like I did, but you don't. I admit it, I do have fun putting together outfits and expressing myself through fashion, and you can still do that with a minimalist wardrobe. It's also easier because you'll only have pieces that you love and that look great on you.  

2. You REALLY Don't Need Backups.
I cannot, I repeat, I CANNOT express how much you DON'T NEED backups. Backups are just a waste of space and, sometimes, money. I used to stock up on things like shampoos and conditioners and I don't even wash my hair that often. It was a total waste of money (some actually went bad 'cause I forgot I had them) and closet space. I used to store these things at the back of my closet, and when I didn't forget I had them, they were still a problem because I needed that space to store other things. I was always thinking I needed a bigger closet or a bigger room, when in fact I just had too much of almost everything. And also, we live in 2016, some drugstores and supermarkets are opened 24h and we have Amazon with next day delivery... If you run out of something, there's always a way to get it.   

3. Less Stuff = Less Anxiety.
Having too much clutter or a messy room gives me anxiety. That's just the way my mind works. To me, it's important that everything has its place, otherwise I feel like my things are suffocating me. It's like there's a little voice in the back of my mind that keeps saying: you need to organize your room. And it's also easier to find things that way. Nothing gives me more stress then going through a bunch of crap until I find something that I know I have, but I just can't find it. I'm not saying that minimalism is going to cure your anxiety, but it doesn't hurt to try and see if it helps you out in any way. I think it will.   

4. You Can Apply Minimalism To EVERYTHING.
Seriously, anything and everything. I think there's this misconception about minimalism being just about getting rid off stuff. And although decluterring is a big part of it, there's a lot more to it. In my opinion, minimalism is all about simplifying. You can simplify your diet, your relationships, the way you do most things, your makeup routine... Literally, almost everything. I'm still experiencing with it and discovering what works for me, so I'll keep you posted on that one.

5. Letting Go Is Harder Than It Looks.
So hard, but so worthy. I grew up in a materialist society and in a materialist family. My weekend plans, no matter if I was with my friends or family, they always involved going to the mall. When I was a teenager, the mall was the place to go. As I grew older, shopping became kind of like a hobby. I liked browsing for deals and keeping up with trends. But now, changing this mentality takes time and effort. There's always that feeling that I might be getting rid off too much or that I might need some of this stuff in the future. I just need to keep reminding myself that if I need something in the future I can always buy it again or borrow it from someone. Nowadays, 'borrowing things' has a bad stigma, like you don't have enough money to buy it for yourself, but there's nothing wrong with borrowing.

6. Some People Just Don't Understand (and that's fine).
You need to understand that not everyone will get the fact that you keep repeating outfits, or that you don't want to go shopping anymore, or even that you're going to take the bus because you decided to sell your car. There's nothing wrong with being different and making different choices for your life. My advice would be to try to explain your new lifestyle to your friends and family, but if they don't get it... Who really cares? At the end of the day, you need to do what's best for you and what you believe is the right thing. And trust me, caring about the environment and your surroundings is the right thing to do.  

7. Minimalism Is Not A Miracle.
Like I said before, minimalism is not going to cure your anxiety or solve your money issues. It does help you in more ways than you might think, but it's not a cure for all your troubles. You need to go into it with an open mind and experience it for yourself. It's different for everybody because we all have different lifestyles, hobbies and responsibilities.

8. Decluterring Is Not The End.
Decluterring is only the beginning. Keeping your space clutter free is the goal and that's a hard thing to do. I need to control myself every time I go buy something I need or whenever I go to the mall to hang out with a friend. It's hard not to shop, companies spend billions of dollars trying to get you to spend your money, but it is worthy at the end. 

9. It's Not Only Good For you, It's Good For The World.
Minimalism opened a lot of doors for me. I started to research more about "zero waste" and the impacts our consumer habits have on the environment, and let me tell you, it's not good. I don't want to kill your vibe today, so I'll just tell you to do some research if you're interested. It's not acceptable to live in ignorance, because that will come a time where we won't be able to ignore the consequences of our acts anymore. And if you think that changing your lifestyle is not enough to make a difference, you're wrong. You can always choose to be part of the problem or part of the solution, being ignorant is not an excuse.   

10. I Can Totally See A Difference In My Wallet.
Like I said before, it's going to solve all your money issues, but I've been noticing that I have more money to save at the end of the month. I mean, it's only logical: if you're buying less stuff, you'll have more money. But, it's still good to see financial prove that I'm on the right track. If you ever think "This is so cheap it won't make any difference if I buy it", you're wrong and my bank account can prove it. I used to be the queen of small-cheap purchases, from chapstick to hair ties... These things add up and even if you save one dollar, it's one dollar more towards savings or travelling, anything is more important hair ties..    


That's all I have for today's post. I hope you guys are enjoying these posts about minimalism. If it's too much, let me know. It's just that I'm excited about these changes I've been doing, and I want to document it and spread the word. If you have any questions or if you want to discuss it more, leave me a comment so we can chat. If you think "ok, I've had enough of minimalism" let me know as well so I can cut down on the minimalist talk. Hopefully this post inspired you to make some changes, and if it didn't, that's fine too.

What do you think about Minimalism?

Thanks so much for reading and have a great day!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...