pages

November 10, 2016

Minimalism | 10 Things I Don't Buy Anymore + Update.


Today, we're talking some more about minimalism. I've been doing the minimalism thing for a couple of months now (5 or 6, can't remember), and I've been loving it. I'm not gonna lie, it has been a hard. It's hard not to buy stuff that you want, but you don't need. It's hard to part with things you've had for ages, but that you need that you'll never use or wear. And this is just the tip of iceberg. Changing the way I've lived for the past 23 years has been challenging, but I still believe it's worthy. I've been wanting to do a proper update for awhile now, so let me know if you'd be interested in that.

But, today I want to come here and talk to you guys about some of the things I've stopped buying. I've seen a couple of videos and blogposts about this topic going around on the internet, but I feel like the majority of them don't approach this is in a very realistic way. I see a lot of people saying that they stopped buying clothes, but unless you decided to live in a nude community or you started making your own clothes, that can't be true or realistic. We still need clothes, shoes and things like that, so I don't think including them in a list like this makes sense. So, I limited this list to the things I really stopped buying and that I don't feel like I'll ever go back to buying.

Physical Books, Magazines and Newspapers | If you've been following me for a while, you probably already know that I use my Kindle to do most of my reading. I feel like buying physical books is not the way to go, it creates clutter, it's expensive and books are printed on paper, so not every eco-friendly. I know a lot of people feel like they need to support that book industry (I'm not even sure that's how you'd call it), but in my opinion purchasing the ebook is not a bad thing. I still support the author and the publishing houses, you need a physical book to do that. And also, if you really prefer physical books, magazines and newspapers, you can check them out from your local library. Or at least, buy used books.  

Backups and Extras | I can't stress this enough, you don't need backups in your life! The only kind of backups I can understand people buying are food backups, but we're not gonna into that. I think the most common backups are beauty and personal higiene related. If you pay attention, it takes a normal person months or even years to go through skin care/makeup itens so why do you need two of them? When one runs out, you can go out and get a new one. Chances are, when the first one runs out there will already be different products on the market and you'll want the new stuff. So, don't buy backups! As to toothpaste, shampoos and things like that, they also take a long time to run out. When feel like you're running low on something, go out and buy it. There's no need to hoard 8 bottles of shampoo in your cabinets, you can use that space for something else.  

Facial Wash and Special Soaps | I use one soap for everything now (body and face), and I've never been happier. I've never been a fan of face washes to begin with, so this was an easy step to make. And honestly, I don't feel like you need a special soap for your face or any other part of your body. But also, keep in mind that I have pretty normal skin so if you have extremely oily skin or other problems, maybe that's not the way to go for you. But, it works for me and I think you should just try it and see how it goes. I used to use the Dove beauty bar, but Dove is not cruelty-free, so I switched to a 100% glycerin soap and it works great.  

DYI Supplies | This is a very personal thing. I know myself and I know that I don't have time for DYI projects, whenever I do have free time I spent it blogging, reading or watching Netflix. So, I just got rid off anything related to that. But, if you're into that, there's no need to get rid off your supplies. Being a minimalist doesn't mean that you can't have hobbies.   

Razors | I still shave, I just don't use razors. I actually use an electric epilator. If you've no idea what I'm talking about just click over here. The one that I use it the Philips Satinelle and I'm pretty happy with it. It removes the hairs from the roots which is awesome, that way you avoid ingrown hairs and those little bumps. I love it, it's reasonably inexpensive and it saves you a lifetime of constantly buying razors.

Notepads | This is such a stupid way to waste money. And I'm not judging, my house used to be full of notepads.. But if you really think about it, notepads are some of the most common things companies and offices give away for free, and also, when was the last time you needed a notepad? I don't know about you guys, but I have my daily planner and everything I need to write down I do it over there. And again, our phones can take care of any list-making needs we might have without using paper and producing more waste. Just something to think about... 

Trinkets or Souvenirs | I hate clutter and I don't need these little things to remember the places I've visited. I take a bunch of pictures and, sometimes, I'll buy things I'll actually use, like a lipstick or a T-shirt from a special store, that way every time I use that item I remember my trip and I don't create useless clutter in my house.

Home decor | In my case, I already had a crap tone of home decor so I just donated the ones I didn't love and kept the one I did love. Since I went through all that trouble, I didn't feel the need to go shopping for more. I have enough and, if I'm being realistic, I don't need more. It's nice to decorate your house and give it a personal touch, but there's no need to overdo it. Keep things simple, keep the things you love, and get rid off the rest. My mindset is: if you don't love it, it's just clutter. Now, things have a purpose in my house and I love that.  

Things that need fixing or alterations | This is another personal one. I know myself and I know I won't take things to be altered or fixed simply because I'm lazy when it comes to that. I feel like if I'm going to spend money on something, I'm gonna try to get the best option possible. In my case, specially when it comes to clothes, I feel like it's counterproductive to buy things that need altering - you're just going to spend more time and money on a item when you could have just waited and bought the right one in the first place. But, that's just me! If you're one of those people who don't mind fixing stuff and have time for it, more power to you!

Excessive Stationary | This was a hard one for me 'cause I love stationary. It was one of my favorite things to buy and I loved colorful pens. In this case, you just need to be realistic. It takes months, almost a year if you're not a student, for you to use up an entire pan, so why do you need more than two at a time?  


That's it for today, guys! I hope you found this post helpful or at least entertaining. If you have any questions about Minimalism leave them in the comments for me and I'll answer them as soon as possible. Also, let me know any thoughts or opinions you might have about this topic, this is something I'm very passionate about and I'd love to discuss it with you.

What do you think about Minimalism?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...