pages

December 28, 2016

Favorite Books of 2016.

So far, I've read a total of 79 books this year so you can imagine how hard it was to narrow it down to a realistic amount and write this post. I've had an awesome year reading wise (not so much on other aspects of my life but you can't have it all, right?), I've read more than I thought I'd be able to and I've also read some amazing books. I tried to branch out a little more with my reading this year too, as you can see from my picks I tried to incorporate more diverse books and I'm so glad I did that, most of my favorites are actually diverse romances.

Having said that, my reading taste didn't change that much. Young-Adult Romance is still my favorite genre and Rainbow Rowell is still my favorite. I did try out different author, though. Aside from Rainbow, all of the authors I'm mentioning here today are new to me and I've discovered this year. I blame booktube and goodreads. I get most of my recommendations from these sources and I can't complain. And also, just keep in mind that I'm not following any particular order, but I will single out my top 2 (they're both tided at first place, I can't choose).I'm gonna stop myself right now, because if I keep going this post is going to turn into a book itself and I still haven't talked about the books! Let's go! 
letmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_mattos_book_books_author_cover_favorite_books_2016_best_reads_carry_on_rainbow_rowell_diverse_ya_young_adult_romance_harry_potter_hogwarts_spin_off_fanfic_fan_fiction_diverse_gay_lesbian_magic_muggle_hagrid_vlogmasletmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_mattos_book_books_author_cover_favorite_books_2016_best_reads_simon_vs_versus_the_homo_sapiens_agenda_becky_albertalli_red_cover_diverse_gay_lesbian_ya_young_adult_romance_blue

letmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_mattos_book_books_author_cover_favorite_books_2016_best_reads_my_heart_and_other_black_holes_jasmine_warga_suicide_partner_one_spark_can_change_everything_diverse_young_adult_ya_romanceletmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_mattos_book_books_author_cover_favorite_books_2016_best_reads_more_happy_than_not_adam_silvera_smile_young_adultt_romance_gay_diverse_black

letmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_mattos_book_books_author_cover_favorite_books_2016_best_reads_amy_poehler_yes_please_life_lessons_pink_saturday_night_liveletmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_mattos_book_books_author_cover_favorite_books_2016_best_reads_you_know_me_well_david_levithan_nina_lacour_san_francisco_diverse_gay_lesbian_romance_ya_young_adult

letmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_mattos_book_books_author_cover_favorite_books_2016_best_reads_marisha_pessl_night_film
My Heart and Other Black Holes - Jasmine Warga // This book was a total surprise for me, and I was not expecting to like it that much. It's about a girl who is considering suicide (so, trigger warning) and she goes on an online chat looking for a suicide partner. This is a very rough description of this story and there's a lot more to it. It was cute, inspiring and the romance was adorable. I would say it's a typical YA, so if you're not a big fan of the genre I would skip. But if you're a fan, this is a must read. 

Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli // I think this is my favorite book of the year. I'm debating between this and More Happy Than Not. But this one is about Simon. He is gay but he's not out yet, using a secret username he meets another boy from his school online (who also has a secret username which is Blue) and they begin chatting. They start to fall for each other online, without knowing who the other person is. And this to me is just the cutest thing ever. Somehow, someone discovers that they are chatting and then you need to read the book to know more. I think this is an important book to read, it deals with some important high school issues, family and coming out as a teen. I loved it. This is one of the few books I plan on rereading.    

You Know Me Well - David Levithan and Nina LaCOUR // Another diverse read. This is one of those books that just puts you in a good mood. I loved all the characters and the fact that the story is set during the San Francisco LGBT Pride. I think it's amazing that more and more authors are writing about this topic, specially coming out in high school. I'm not gay, but I have a lot of friends who are and I know that they struggled a lot with this in high school and how to tell their parents at a young age. But aside from that, this book has so much more to offer. It talks about friendships, romance and finding yourself and what you want to do with your life. I loved it. And specially if you're in high school (gay or straight), you should definitely read it.  

More Happy Than Not - Adam Silvera // Tided for first place of 2016, this book is amazing and it gave so many feels you have no idea. Yet another diverse read, I'm not really sure how to describe this story, so I'll just leave the goodreads link here. But this is basically about Aaron dealing with his father's suicide and finding himself. There's a major plot twist and I loved everything about this book. All the characters were amazingly built and they were all interesting. And I did not see that plot twist coming. Adam Silvera's writing is everything I plan on reading every single book he writes from now on.  

Night Film - Marisha Pessl // This is the most well made book I've read this year. It was just so good. It's one of those stories that is extremely hard to describe, so you should just read the goodreads description. As I was reading this book, I could notice the amount of hard work and creativity that went into this story. There's is a main plot, but there are all this secondary plots that all interconnect with each other creating this magical thing. It's mystery, thriller, there's murder, voodoo and a lot of scary stuff all mixed in together. The ending was amazing and I felt like even though it didn't answer all my question, it still gave me closure and an ending. I don't even know how to talk about this book. It's amazing. If you like thrillers and mysteries, you need to read this one.   

Carry On - Rainbow Rowell // I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding this book because it's basically Harry Potter fan fiction, but I can't help it. I LOVED IT. In this world, Simon Snow (Harry) and Baz (Malfoy) are still enemies, but they fall in love with each other. I just can't. This book was too cute, it had the whole magical school (Watford) vibe again and Penelope (Hermione) is as clever and as badass as ever. It honestly felt like I was reading about other people inside of J.K. Rowling's world, like this was spin-off story about other characters. I know a lot of people didn't like it because of the similarities, but because there were a lot of differences between the original characters, it didn't feel like reading Harry's story again. I think you need to read it for yourself and see if this is something you might enjoy. 

Yes Please - Amy Poehler // This book was surprisingly  amazing. I was not expecting to like it so much. I thought it was going to be a fun read (like Chelsea Handler's books), but this was so much more that than. It's still incredibly funny (Amy is one of my favorite comedians), but also had a lot of life lessons. She talks about her entire career, how she began, the hard work she had to do, college and all that good stuff. It was really inspiring. She also talked about dating, discovering your role as woman and having to prove yourself twice as hard just because you were born with a vagina. I loved this book so much, and it even made me tear up a bit during some parts. I already loved Amy Poehler, but now I admire here even more. 

These are my favorite reads of 2016. Let me know which one were your favorite books, if you did a blogpost about it or a video, leave the link in the comments that I'll be sure to check it out. I'm always looking for good recommendations and I feel like this is the best time to get them.

What are you favorite reads of 2016?


Thanks so much for stopping by and come back soon!  


letmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_mattos_book_books_author_cover_favorite_books_2016_best_reads_kindle_amazon_brasil_brazil_brazilian_rio_de_janeiro_travel_blogger_zara_beauty_fashion_goodreads_better_man

No comments:

Post a Comment