pages

December 12, 2016

Minimalism | Giving and Receiving Gifts | My Experience.

As you guys know, I've been on this minimalist journey for quite a while now and I wanted to come over here to chat about Minimalism and the Holidays. Although I've seen a lot of people talking about what to give to a minimalist, this is not going to be a gift guide because I suck at those. I don't even know exactly what I want for Christmas so I can't advise you on what to get for others. I'll say this though, if you're shopping for a minimalist, make sure you're getting practical, useful gifts. I think you should avoid decor items, clothes, or anything that that you'd consider 'extra', you know?  

As I've been diving more and more into Minimalism, I've realized that I've been changing quite a lot. Shopping doesn't appeal to me as much, so shopping for others has become more of a task and not as enjoyable as it once was. But, that doesn't mean I'm not giving them something nice for the holidays. If you're a minimalist I think you need to consider that just because you're a minimalist doesn't mean others have to suffer the collateral damage. I still want my friends and family to get nice things for Christmas because I care about them and I know they'll appreciate it, even if that's not the case for me. I think the best way to go about this topic is to share with you guys what I've been doing and what I've been planning just so you get an idea and see if it works for you.

When it comes to receiving gifts, I told my family I didn't want anything right off the bat. Then, they said 'well, too bad.. pick something', which was expected. For my sister, I asked for a couple of books I need for some things I'm studying, and she was super happy about it. Those books are expensive, and I think she was happy to help with something that is really important to me. With my parents, we settled on money. I know this is not an option in some families, but I explained to them that I was planning on doing some traveling with my friends next year, and that money would really help out with that. My grandma always gives me money anyway, so that wasn't a problem. And my extended family (uncles, cousins and aunts), I didn't feel comfortable asking for money, so I'm just rolling with it. It all depends on what they're going to gift me. Usually, it's clothes or some nicknacks. So, I'm planning on donating the things that I don't like. I don't think anyone benefits from me hanging on to things I know I won't use, and donating to charity (specially on the Holidays) it's really cool thing to do. 

As for giving gifts, I decided to put minimalism on the side and just focus on things that I know for a fact they will use and enjoy. For my mom, I'm getting her a lotion set (she uses lotion everyday, so I know it won't go to waste). My dad is getting socks, I know it sounds lame, but there's a store here in our mall that sells the socks that he likes and they're pretty expensive, so that was the easiest one to figure out. My sister a lotion/soap set similar to the one I'm giving my mom. She loves lavender soap and I know she uses that in her house, so it won't go to waste. I'm getting this sets from Granado. I've mentioned them before here in the blog, but they're a super cool Brazilian company that doesn't test on animals and has super cute packaging. To me, it's important to stick to my values even when I'm shopping for someone else, and I didn't want to get stuff from brands that I know test on animals.

And then, for my two best friends, I did a little DYI. I bought two cute mugs and filled them with chocolate and candy I know they love. We usually don't give each other expensive gifts, it's just something to celebrate the holidays and show that we remembered each other. You can also include a card if you feel like giving it a more personal touch to it, but I don't really like cards so I decided to skip it. But, that's about it!

That's what I'm planning on doing for the Holidays this year. If you're a minimalist, don't get angry or upset if people gift you something you don't enjoy or that you didn't ask for. Gift giving is all about appreciating other people and you can always donate these things to charity and make someone's day. I also strongly suggest donating to charity this time of the year, if a minimalist in your life said they didn't want anything for Christmas, make a donation in their name to a cause that's close to that person or to you. I'm sure it will be the best gift you could ever give them without giving them anything.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know on the comments what you think about this topic. I know it's hard to be a minimalist and I know that a lot of people just don't get it. Keep in mind that, you could really offend someone by not accepting their gift or being a Grinch about it. Giving someone gifts is a way to show love. So, just accept the gifts and then just give them away to charity after. Nobody needs to know.

Do you have any tips to share with us?

Thanks so much for reading and have a great day!

FIND ME ON THE INTERNET!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...