pages

January 18, 2017

HOW TO: Stay Focused On You Goals.

Heeeello, everyone! 

Continuing on with this month's topic, today I wanted to do a very practical post sharing some tips that will hopefully help you out this year. I'm not a life coach, these are just some things I've been doing that I feel like have helped me in the past. Some of them I took from the internet, some were advice from my dad (don't tell him!) and some came from the numerous self-books I've read trying to get my life together  Last year I slacked a little and didn't really stay focused on the things I wanted to accomplish, but this year we're doing it differently. We're staying on top of things, we're scheduling, we're planning and we're accomplishing... If you're still with me, at least you're trying just like me and that has to count for something, right? But enough chatting, let's get to some life-changing tips!
ps: they're not life-changing. 
letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_blogger_goals_resolutions_new_year_new_me_2017_how_to_stick_to_your_goals_howtohaveabetteryear

ONE // REALLY CHALLENGE YOURSELF.
I know a lot of people say that you should keep your goals realistic and I'm not disagreeing. I also agree that you should set a bigger goal and them break it down into smaller steps, but when you're planning out the smaller steps, that's when I think you should really go for it and challenge yourself. Let's say your big goal is to get in shape this year. Great goal, healthy, realistic, you go girl! But when you start planning, instead of saying that you'll go to the gym 2 times a week, let's make it four! I know, you work and study, maybe you have kids... But, if you consider that Saturday and Sunday are usually days when you're off work and with more free time, I think you can make it those 4 days a week. You know what I'm saying? I think that the only way you're going to make this year better than the last is if you do things differently and not repeat the same approach. You (and I'm including myself here) already did that and it didn't work, so let's all agree that we can do better in 2017. 

TWO // WRITE IT DOWN.
If you just say ''I'm going to loose weight this year'' and you don't write it down or make a plan, chances are you're still going to be carrying those extra pounds or maybe not get that promotion or start that master program once 2018 rolls around. We're not getting any younger here and making a plan (in my opinion) is the best option. I mean.. you strategize and plan stuff at work and in school, so why not do it when it comes to your personal development?
And I think you should go all out on this, get a new notebook, set deadlines (if they work for you), schedule your work outs, check the deadline to send in your masters application. Do whatever works for you, but make sure you keep this notebook in a place where you see it every single day. The only way to achieve big goals is to put in the work every single day. Small steps add up and that's how goals get accomplished.  

THREE // WEEKLY CHECK-INS.
I'm a big fan of weekly check-ins. Usually on Monday, I write down on a piece of paper what I want to accomplish during the week (chapters I need to read, work outs I want to do, blog posts I want to write) and stick that paper on the first page of my planner, which is something I open everyday. As I get things done I cross them out. And then, usually on Sunday nights (or next Monday morning if I'm feeling lazy), I go over that paper and see what got done and what didn't. If I didn't accomplish a certain task, I roll them over to the new week and I write it down on a red pen, so I know that I already didn't accomplish it the last week.
I've been doing this system for a while and I really like it. I allows me to see the things I've been neglecting, the things I really need to stay on top of and also in which areas I can push myself more. 

FOUR // RELAX.
Rome wasn't built in a day and you don't need to accomplish everything from your weekly list on Monday and Tuesday. Give yourself some wiggle room and know that you're going to face some things that were not planned. Last week I schedule Tuesday to be a day when I'd watch all of my online classes only to wake up and realize that the internet was not working because of last night's storm. Shit happens and you're going to have to deal with it. It's not the end of the world if you have to roll a task over to next week, you just can't keep doing it for 6 weeks straight. I believe that there's a force in the universe that makes everything work itself out in the end, you'll get where you want to go. There's very little in this world that's worth freaking out for.

FIVE // JUST DO IT.
Planning can only do so much. You can make thousands of lists and schedules and decorate your planner super nice, but at the end of the day you still going to have to do the work. You need to buckle down (or get up) and get things done. Sometimes you're not going to feel like it (check this post if that's the case), some weeks you're going to have to stay up late Sunday night to get all your tasks done for the week, but that's just life. If you really want something, you're just going to have to do it and nobody can do it for you.    

So, these are my tips for today. I really hope this helps you out with achieving your goals this year! I know in the beginning we're all super pumped and motivated, so hopefully this tips will keep you going when that excitement slowly burns out. Just do your best, and if  you get tired or unmotivated throughout your journey, just remember that everyday is a chance to do better than yesterday. I know this is a little cliche, but it's true. Let me know how you're doing with your resolutions and your goals in general in the comments, I'd love to know!

Do you have any tips to share with us?
Do you agree with my tips?

Thanks so much for reading and come back soon!



letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_blogger_goals_resolutions_new_year_new_me_2017_how_to_stick_to_your_goals_howtohaveabetteryear




No comments:

Post a Comment