pages

January 13, 2017

Most Disappointing Books of 2016.

At first, I wasn't planning on writing this post because I really don't enjoy giving books a negative review. But, after seeing so many people on the internet doing something similar, I realized that reviewing the books that I didn't like is just as important as reviewing the books that I did like. That way, if you trust my opinion or if you think we have similar reading tastes, you can avoid this books and save yourself some reading time. I'm not gonna be writing reviews for these books today, I'm just going to talk about why I didn't like them, so if you have no idea what some of these are about just go over to GoodReads and check it out real quick. Now, without further rambles because I want to keep this post short and sweet, here are my least favorite books of 2016! 
letmecrossover_blog_michele_blogger_most_disappointing_books_of_the_year_slammed_colleen_hoover_review_book_cover_wattpad_authorletmecrossover_blog_michele_blogger_most_disappointing_books_of_the_year_captive_prince_trilogy_cs_pacat_author_book_cover_review

letmecrossover_blog_michele_blogger_most_disappointing_books_of_the_year_that_summer_sarah_dessen_author_review_booktube

letmecrossover_blog_michele_blogger_most_disappointing_books_of_the_year_melissa_foster_seaside_dreams_author_review_booktubeletmecrossover_blog_blogger_michele_colleen_hoover_author_ugly_love_book_review_most_disappointing_books_of_the_year_cover_romance_bad_
Captive Prince - C. S. Pacat // This book was the biggest let down of 2016. I bought it because everyone on booktube was saying that it was amazing, super cool and super original. I had high hopes for it, but I didn't even know what it was about. I was expecting some Game of Thrones vibes since there's some royal family drama, but the closest thing this book had of Game of Thrones is the sex scenes. So much sex. I felt like every other scene I was reading had some sort of sexual insinuation and I really didn't like that. This is something that usually doesn't bother me that much, but it was just too much in this book. I wasn't really into the plot either and I felt like the characters were all very similar. 

Slamed - Colleen Hoover // So, apparently, I'm not a big fan of Colleen Hoover. Maybe I'm just not a big fan of Romance in general, but this book didn't work for me. I thought this had all the big YA cliché elements, and the whole story was built on the biggest one of all (and the one that bothers me the most): boy meets girl and everything works out in the end. I didn't like the whole slam poetry thing, the romance had some major red flags for me and the plot was overall not interesting. I did like the family aspect and some part of the romance, but it was overall a bad book for me. 

That Summer - Sarah Dessen // Second worst book of the year for me. It's so rare for this to happen, but I didn't like anything about this book. I went into it thinking I was going to get a fun-light-beach read, and I got some major family drama and a whiny main character. The nobody-gets-me act got real old real fast and she was just complaining about everything. Her mom was just a bad mom. Her sister was getting married for all the wrong reasons. and to top it all of, she starts liking her sister's ex-boyfriend. I really don't like to bash books, but I hated everything about it.

Seaside Dreams - Melissa Foster // I picked this one up because it was free on Kindle and sometimes I find some hidden gems this way, but this was no hidden gem. I can't pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about this book, it was just overall weak. The plot was good, but I felt like the author could explore everything a little more. The characters were lacking, some of the friends got mixed up in my brain since none of them had really strong characteristics and there were some romance cliches I didn't like. But, I liked the romance in general and the small town vibe. I wouldn't recommend reading this, but it wasn't the most disappointing one. 

Ugly Love - Colleen Hoover // I had a lot of problems with this book. The story is told from two perspectives, the guy (Miles) and the girl (Tate), and Miles' chapters were written in verse because he's just sooooo deep and feels so many feelings. I really didn't like that aspect. Their relationship developed in a weird way and was really not believable at all. Tate is kind of a sassy girl, which something I enjoyed. But, she lets herself be manipulated by this guy who clearly doesn't have his shit together and just wants to mess up her mind - kind of in an abusive way. There were some scenes that were just wrong and not realistic: in the beginning when they don't even know each other that well, he literally orders her to stay in his apartment while he watches a game in her brother's apartment with his friends. And I'm like, what? Who does that? Who accepts that? Somethings were really just off for me and I couldn't ignore it. Miles wasn't romantic at all, he treated Tate like shit, and the author kept trying to portrait that as romance, love or whatever have you. And Tate accepted being treated like that because apparently she was in love with a guy she's know for two seconds. It really pisses me off when author portrait romance like this.    


These are the books that I least enjoyed this past year. What I learned from this post is: I need to stay way from Colleen Hoover, avoid the Romance genre and not get my hopes up when it comes to overly hyped books. Having said, I feel like I had a really good reading year, I read some amazing books (check them out here) and I also read more books than I was expecting. Hopefully, I'll have fewer books to mention in my Most Disappointing Books of 2017. Fingers crossed!



What are some of your most disappointing reads of 2016?

Thanks so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon!


Let's hang some more!



letmecrossover_blog_michele_blogger_most_disappointing_books_of_the_year_social_media_instagram_follow_me_followback_twitter_bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment