pages

January 3, 2017

Reading Wrap-Up | December, 2016.

I know I'm a little late with last month's wrap-up, but during the holidays my life gets extremely hectic. It's my mom's birthday, Christmas, my birthday and then New Year's Eve. There's usually a lot of family coming over during that time so it's hard to lock myself up in my room to write. But now, it's the new year, new beginnings and I'm getting my life back on track which means getting all the delayed posts up, so expect a lot of them this month.

I read quite a lot in December actually. More than I was expecting given the amount of hours I spent watching Netflix. I'm currently rewatching The O.C. and I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I'm completely hooked all over again. But still, I've read a total of 7 books and I only have one let down, which is a pretty good score if you ask me!  
letmecrossover_book_blogger_michele_mattos_travel_reading_wrap_up_wrapup_cute_covers_cover_movie_am_bookstagram_instagram_sophie_kinsella_yellow_yellowcover_remember_me_best_ever_review_haulletmecrossover_book_blogger_michele_mattos_travel_reading_wrap_up_wrapup_cute_covers_cover_movie_am_bookstagram_instagram_if_i_was_your_girl_meredith_russo_diverse_reads_lesbian_gay_assexual_transgender_transpeople_lgbtq_plus

letmecrossover_book_blogger_michele_mattos_travel_reading_wrap_up_wrapup_cute_covers_cover_movie_am_bookstagram_instagram_blue_bluecover_made_you_up_francesca_zapia_author_mental_illness_loveletmecrossover_book_blogger_michele_mattos_travel_reading_wrap_up_wrapup_cute_covers_cover_movie_am_bookstagram_instagram_michelle_zink_author_this_wicked_game_review_bad_books_worst_of_2017

letmecrossover_book_blogger_michele_mattos_travel_reading_wrap_up_wrapup_cute_covers_cover_movie_am_bookstagram_instagram_twelve_days_of_christmas_debbie_macomber_christmas_holiday_hanukkah_redcover_red_blue_winter_readsletmecrossover_book_blogger_michele_mattos_travel_reading_wrap_up_wrapup_cute_covers_cover_movie_am_bookstagram_instagram_the_ocean_at_the_end_of_the_lane_neil_gaiman_movie_diverse_black_people_bluecover_five_stars

letmecrossover_book_blogger_michele_mattos_travel_reading_wrap_up_wrapup_cute_covers_cover_movie_am_bookstagram_instagram_every_heart_a_doorway_seanan_mcguire_assexual_diverse_lgbq_plus_gay_lesbian_transgender_magical_realism_ya_young_adult_best_reads_worst_books
If I Was Your Girl - Meredith Russo // This book was really good, not great, but really good. I felt like it had potential to be better, I was very interested in the topic and in the fact that it's a diverse read, but there was something missing for me. I liked the main character and the friendship aspect, but I didn't really care for the romance or her family. I felt like they were being portrayed as trying to be supportive, but really weren't (in my opinion). In this story we follow our main character which is transgender while she has to change schools and move out of her city because of bullying. This is such an important topic and I'm really glad that there are authors who write about it, but I can't say I loved the story. It's still a great book, so if you're looking for a YA diverse read I would give this a try. 

This Wicked Game - Michelle Zink // You might remember this book from my latest book haul, and this was really disappointing. And my expectations were already pretty low, so that's saying something. If I'm being honest, I can't even describe this very well because the whole thing was very confusing. But, it's basically about a voodoo society and there's people trying to harm the teenagers of this society because of something that happened decades ago. The main character was stupid, making stupid and dangerous decisions and I hate when that happens. I don't think it's realist and I want to believe that no one would risk their lives based on a bad vibes. It was really bad and if you were also hooked by the cover (and the fact that you and the author have a name in common - Michele!) I would just skip it.

Every Heart a Doorway - Seanan McGuire // This book was weird. I liked the concept and I liked some of the characters, but the story was a little confusing and not in a cool way. You know like sometimes some authors leave some questions unanswered but you don't mind because everything else was so good and you got what you came for? Well, this was not the case for me. Essentially, some children are special and they are able to find doors to hidden worlds in their path that suit their characteristics and personalities. But, occasionally they're thrown out of those worlds and are left to pick up the pieces of their live. Fortunately, there's a school where they can go to learn how to cope with that. It's a cool story, but the way the other worlds were described was very weird and not realistic to me. Like, I know Hogwarts doesn't exist but the whole explanation behind made it feel real and I didn't feel the same way about the worlds mentioned in this book. It was good, but I wouldn't reread it. 

Remember Me? - Sophie Kinsella // Not my favorite Sophie Kinsella book, but I really liked how original the story was. It was funny and entertaining. In this one, our main character looses her memory in a accident and when she wakes up in the hospital she basically has her dream life, but she doesn't remember how she got there. She doesn't remember the last few years and the story is all about her remembering things and trying to piece out here life. Essentially, the lessen behind it is that is not because you're rich and successful that your life is perfect. And nothing can replace your real friends. I liked it, it was cute, but like I said, not my favorite. I would recommend it, though. 

Made You Up - Francesca Zappia // Me and YA just get each other, you know? But, don't be fooled! This is not your predictable boy-meets-girl-and-everything-is-fine, it actually has a pretty big plot twist. Basically, our main character has a hard time defining what's real and what isn't. Her doctor suggests that going to school and getting a job might help, so that's what her mom does. The story is basically about her dealing with her illness, how her parents react to it and her trying to fit in and go to school like a 'normal person'. I really liked this and I would highly recommend it if you like YA. 

Twelve Days of Christmas - Debbie Macomber // Cute and extremely predictable, but that's what I was expecting so I actually quite liked this story. It's about neighbors  that don't really get along, but the girl has to write a blog for a work project, and she decides to do an experiment. She is going to shower her grumpy (yet extremely attractive) neighbor with kindness until Christmas to see what happens. They get together at the end, but you can see that coming from a mile away so it's not really a spoiler. I liked the romance and the characters. It's fun to read it during the Holidays. 

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman // Another book that was just weird and not at all what I was expecting, but this one was a good weird. I don't even know how to explain it because it's turns out this book is very deep. Like, soul-searching-universe-we're-all-connected kind of thing and it totally gave me a book hangover. I was basically like Kylie Jenner realizing stuff in my room for a couple of minutes after I read it.  I would highly recommend reading it. The writing is beautiful. Just read it. 


Those are the books I've read last month. I still can't believe I read so much considering that I was traveling in the beginning of the month, then there was the holidays and then my birthday. I also read pretty good books which is always good! Let me know on the comments if you've read any of these what did you think of them. I'd love to read your thoughts!


How many did you finish in December?
Do you have any recommendations to share? 

Let's hang some more!


Thanks so much for reading and come back soon! 

letmecrossover_book_blogger_michele_mattos_travel_reading_wrap_up_wrapup_cute_covers_cover_movie_am_bookstagram_instagram_

No comments:

Post a Comment