pages

January 16, 2017

VEGETARIAN.

Heeello, everyone!

If you've been following me on social media you probably know much more about my life than you wanted to, but the good news is that you might also already know that I've decided to become a vegetarian in 2017. It's been a hard but extremely rewarding process and I wanted to chat with you guys about it today. I thought it would be cool and interesting to share some of the reasons behind this decision, as well as some of the benefits of this diet and my overall thoughts about it. I went completely vegetarian on January 1st 2017, so I've only been doing it for 16 days, but I have been noticing some changes in my healthy and energy levels. I think I'm going to do more updates on the future, but for now I'll just focus on what I've learned in this 16 days. 


WHY?
The main reason why I decided to become a vegetarian in 2017 is the meat industry. I'm sorry if I'm too basic, but it all started with the documentary Cownspiracy. It's easily accessible on Netflix, but if you don't have Netflix I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the internet or buy it from their website. It's a pretty lengthy documentary (about one and half hours), but to put it simply: the world is ending and the meat industry is one of the biggest contributors to that fact. I would highly suggest watching it, it's extremely eye opening and interesting - they don't appeal to images of animals being slaughtered and still get their point across. 
So, my main reason is the meat industry. I'm not opposed to eating meat in itself, I feel like animals and humans have been eating meat since forever and that's a natural thing. But, I am opposed to the way animals are treated and bred just for consuming purposes and that's why I decided to cut meat from my diet. And when I say meat I mean: chicken, red meat and fish. The documentary also touches on the fish industry, and that really got to me. 
Having said that, I won't be cutting out animal products like diary, honey or anything like that. I did stop drinking milk (I switched to sow milk), but I really need cheese and honey in my life. You might think I'm being a hypocrite, but I'm just fine with my decision.  

HOW?
I started the transition in December, 2016. I basically cut out red meat and chicken, I was only eating fish and trying out vegetarian alternatives like tofu, mushrooms and different recipes to see if it was doable. And, as you can see, it's more than doable. I can safely say that I do not miss or crave meat whatsoever. I used to be a big fan of burgers, but finding vegetarian alternatives has been a fun hobby and some vegetarian burgers are pretty tasty - nothing will give you the flavor of meat, but that's just something you can live without and. in my opinion, a very small price to pay.
I would suggest doing as much research as you can: watch youtube videos, learn recipes, follow people who are doing the same thing as you. This is a good way to stay on track and motivated. In my case, as long as I can eat tasty food I'm good. I couldn't live on salad and fruit for the rest of my life, so incorporating good recipes makes all the difference. 
I was a bit worried because I work and study, so I can't cook all of my meals everyday. But, finding vegetarian restaurants or even vegetarian options on regular restaurants is not hard. You can always food prep and bring you lunch with you, but that's just too much work and planning for my taste.     

BENEFITS.
I'm not a doctor, I can't explain to you all the health benefits at length, so I'm just going to focus on what I've been experiencing and noticing myself. I'm sure you can find endless reports and articles about vegetarianism online. If you're interested in that aspect of the diet, I suggest watching this video and doing some research on your own. 
Groceries // I spend way less money on groceries. As you all know, I live in Brazil so the cost of meat is not that high, but I still notice a lot of difference in the amount of money I spend in the supermarket. Although tofu is kind of expensive, I don't consume the same amount of tofu as I would consume meat. Fruits and vegetables are way cheaper, and since you need to buy them on a regular basis you avoid wasting food (and money). 
Energy // I don't know about you, but when I used to eat meat in a meal I used to feel tired and lethargic right after. I needed some time to just rest and digest the food. Now, as soon as I finish eating I'm good to go. I feel better and lighter, I don't know how to describe it in a better way... I just feel lighter.
Time // Cooking is so much easier now. I can cook a good meal in less than 20 minutes, and before I needed 30-40 minutes to get the meat seasoned and cooked - since I didn't fry anything, cooking stuff in the oven takes more time.
Weight // I did lose some weight, but nothing incredible or alarming. I did noticed that my weight has been fluctuating also, but I think that's just my body adjusting to the new diet. Since meat is out of the question, I have been avoiding greasy foods in general so I think that's why I slimmed down a bit.
Clear Conscience // Before doing the transition, I knew that eating meat was not the best decision, but I still did it. I would read articles online about the meat industry and the affects meat has on your body, and I would feel guilty about what I was putting into my body. Now, I feel way better about my choices and more in control of my life. This is just something I was experiencing and I don't want to make you feel like you have to change your diet. Just know that if you want to, I'm here for you and support you 100%. And if you don't, I respect your decision. It's your body and you choose what do with it!

That's all I have for today. Hopefully, you found this interesting and helpful. I think sharing your story and leading by example is the best way to make any change in this world. I feel really good about this decision and I can't wait to see how my body changes and the benefits I'll see in the future. I haven't yet, but I do plan on going to the doctor and getting some exams to see if I'm doing it the right way, but for now I've just been going by my own research - which I know is not the best and would not recommend.    


What do you think about vegetarianism?
Are you a vegetarian too? Or vegan?
Do you have any tips for us?
Thanks so much for reading and I'll see you soon!


Let's hang some more!


1 comment:

  1. New Diet Taps into Pioneering Concept to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 20 Pounds within Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...