pages

February 9, 2017

Life Update // February, 2017.

What's up, everyone?!

I hope you're all having a great day and if you're not I hope it gets better soon. Today, I wanted to come over here and just do a little life update, talk about what's going on in my life at the moment and a couple of things that have crossed my mind. I've been really into personal development lately and I've been trying to implement some changes in my life. I also wanted to talk to you guys more about being a vegetarian and what I've been experiencing these couple of months. I feel like my entire life is doing a 360 degree turn and I've just been trying to catch up but I'm always falling behind. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and reaching an age that I would really consider myself an adult, but I've been thinking a lot about the kind of life I want to have and make sure that I'm making good changes now that will help me reach my goals in the near future. So, I hope you enjoy this post. There's going to be a lot of digressions and rambling, so I'm sorry if you get lost but this is coming to you straight from my brain completely uncut. 
Minimalism is what really opened my eyes to intentional living and got me thinking about the choices I was making and where they would lead. Through downsizing my makeup products and clothes, I started to think about animal testing and ethical clothing. Minimalism opened a lot of doors for me and made me think about topics that haven’t even crossed my mind before. Animal testing was something I knew existed, but I didn’t realize the extent of it and all the harm it does to animals and all the moral implications. So, I started to inform myself and now every time I make a purchase, I feel like I’m doing something good to the world and myself. I’m either supporting brands that share the same principals as me and in that I’m helping them share these principals with a larger range of people or I’m taking care of myself and attending to my needs. I don't using shopping as a way of entertaining myself or just wasting time anymore. I feel more in control of life and I honesly think I’m making a difference. That may sound naive to some of you, but I believe big changes begin with small steps.


When it comes to ethical fashion, I admit I still need to do more research but the importante thing in my opinion is that I’ve come to the realizition that the way I spend my money matters and it sends a message. You can’t claim that you’re against animal suffering when you constantly buy products that were tested on animals and you can’t claim that you are against slavery when you frequently buy clothes and eletronics made by people that are being paid unfairly. If you don’t work for free, why do you support companies that force people to do so or that pay them unfairly? If you get angry when your work is not valued, why do you give your money to companies that do that to other people? When you're purchasing a product, you're supporting a company. I’ve said this before, but you’re money is your vote.

Now, as to minimalism itself, I’ve never been happier. Downsizing my possesions has impacted my life tremendously. I feel like my anxiety has been more manageable, I’ve been able to save more money because I’m shopping way less and I don’t get stressed out in the morning while I’m getting ready. I’ve read an article about how minimizing your decisions in the morning can help you make better decisions during the day and that’s totally the case for me. I’ve made kind of a capsule wardrobe for my everyday clothes and in the morning I just choose a combination of these items. I can share them here on the blog if some of you are interested, just let me know on the comments.
After thinking about all these aspects of my life last year and just looking back on how 2016 wasn’t an overall good year for me, I decided to make 2017 my year. Now, I know a lot of people say that every year but I really wasn’t kidding. If you’ve been reading the blog for a while you know that I bombarded you guys with posts talking about motivation, how to achieve your goals and I also sharing some of mine with you. Paralel to that, I was also doing some research on the matter. I was reading other blogs and self-help books, watching youtube channels, TED Talks and all that good stuff. I clearly needed and still need some help in the personal development department. I finally came across a book called The Miracle Morning. I started reading it last month and really liked it, so I thought: why not give it go? Well, I’m still thinking about doing a review of it, but the whole premise is about waking up an hour before you normally would and dedicate this time to personal development. Well, waking up at 5 am is not easy, but it has been helping me. I usually wake up between 5 and 6 a.m. and try to dedicate this time to myself and to do the things I usually don’t have time to do during the day. I read, I write blog posts, I make myself a good breakfast, I go for walks (I can’t really workout that early in the morning yet), I meditate... I just overall get myself ready for the day, mentally and phisically.

It hasn't really change my life yet or made me loose 500 pounds like some people claim on the internet, but I do feel less stressed and more balanced, I feel like I have time to do the things I love. I didn't really see an increase in productivity since I’ve maintained the same hours at work and the same time I dedicate to studying. But, I’m still perfecting my Miracle Morning. I’m still experiencing with my morning routine and the things I want to do with those extra hours.
I think the biggest change I’ve made this year so far was becoming a vegetarian. The main reason I decided to do it was the meat industry and the affects it has on the enviorment and how animals are treated. Like I’ve said before, I don’t have a problem with eating animals, I feel like that’s a natural thing since animals have been eating eachother for ages in the wild. But, I am against the way they are tortured and the pain they suffer just so I could have a steak for dinner. The thing I wasn’t expecting is how rewarding this has been. I feel more in control of my life and like I really am preaching by example and living by my principals. I also feel like I’m making a difference and that I’m making something good for my body and my health.

As soon as I started, I lost a lot of weight. A couple of weeks passed and I gained everything back and a little more, but the weird thing was that I only saw that on the scale. My clothes fit better, I feel less bloated and I’m overall more toned – all of that didn’t come only from turning vegetarian, I also went back to the gym. Now, I don’t even bother tracking my weight anymore. I see myself in the mirror everyday so if I gain too much weight I’ll notice. But that is something I want to really check out and see if I really am becoming healthier, I still have to go th doctor. Overall, I would highly recommend trying vegetarianism if you’re too afraid of going vegan (like me). This lifestyle really surprised me and I’m really happy with this decision so far. I’ve been at it for two months now and I hope that’s only the beginning.  
All of these changes gave me a sense of purpose and made me feel like I was more in control of my life, which is totally the oppposite of how I felt in 2016 (like I was just going through the motions and trying to stay afloat). I started to think about all of the things I wanted to accomplish and I realized that after starting this blog, I didn’t really push myself to pursue any other hobbies I had. I’ve Always wanted to learn more languages, but I didn’t give it much thought. I Always wanted to write a book or just write something, never pursued that either. And then, all of these weird things started to come up in my mind and then I was like “OK, I’m only 24, I’m too young to have all these regrets taking up space in mind”. So, last week I enrolled myself in self-defense classes (I’m having my first one on Friday), I started to practicing german a couple of nights a week using Duoling and last Sunday I just opened a word document and started writing. This is all fairly new to me, I don’t think I’m going to write the next Harry Potter series, but at least I’m doing something. I’m doing things with my life and pursuing things. I might hate self-defense classes and I might never speak german in my life, but I’m still doing things for myself. Like I said, I’m only 24, I’m too Young to have unfinished business already. I need to know what I like and what I don’t like doing and th best way to do it is to just try.



That's all I have for today, guys! I hope you enjoyed this super long post and let me know on the comments any thoughts and opinions you'd like to share. I love hearing from you! I feel like talked and talked, now I want to know what's going on in your life. Tell me something good that happened to you so far in 2017 or some of your goals and things you'd like to accomplish! 

Have you read the Miracle Morning?
What are some of the hobbies you'd like to pursue?
What's going on in your life?

Thanks so much for reading and have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...