pages

March 10, 2017

Celebrating Women's Work // Books Written By Female Authors.

Last Wednesday it was International Women's Day and since I was extremely busy with work and all the studying I have to do this week, I wasn't able to do anything special here in the blog to celebrate it, but I was extremely active on social media. As I was retweeting and liking every single women's appreciation and celebration post, I came across this piece of news. A bookstore in Cleveland (US) turned around the works of male authors to highlight the work of female authors and also to show people the disparity in the industry. I don't think it's news to anyone that women all around the world earn less money than men in the same position and that women's work is, sometimes (most times) less valued.

So, inspired by that bookstore and in order to celebrate women everywhere and in every industry I can think of (you're more than welcomed to help me out on the comments with ideas), I've decided to focus on women's work a little bit at a time. I've decided to start with books because, as you all know, I'm really into reading and also because that bookstore really inspired me. But the idea is to expand with every post, like movies, music, science, arts and, like I've said, you're than welcomed to help me out here. 

For today's post, I decided to recommend to you some books I've read and loved from female authors and to share some of the books that I still want to read. My March TBR is already densely packed with female authors (Adam Silvera is the only male author I have there), but I think I'm going to dedicate this month (or maybe even more) entirely to reading books written by female authors. You're more welcomed to join me and join the discussion in the comments.
And here is WHY!

The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han // This book trilogy came to me and the exact time I needed it and that's one of the many reasons why I truly believe in the magic of books. In these books, we follow our main character Belly as she grows up, in that transition between childhood and teenage years. This is a YA book, it has a lot of romance, but the reason why I'm including this book on this list it's because it portraits perfectly this time in a girl's life. It talks about falling in love, finding yourself and sometimes loosing yourself so much in a relationship that you can forget about who you are and what you want to do with your life. I also love the relationship between Belly's mom and her childhood best friend, it's exactly how strong women should support each other in my opinion and I loved this book so much. It's so much for than a YA romance, but I would suggest reading all three of them to get the full picture of what I'm talking about.     

If I Was Your Girl - Meredith Russo // This book is written by a transgender woman, about one and with another on the cover. I loved this book. I'm not trans nor do I know anyone that could shed some light on the representation of this group of people, but from what I've been reading and seeing on the internet, people are not angry about it. This book talks about bullying, love, strong female friendships, falling in love and finding yourself. 

Yes Please - Amy Poehler // I wrote an entire post about this books and why I loved it so much. If you're interested in it, please check it out here.

Everything Leads To You - Nina LaCOUR // In this book we follow Emi who is a set designer. One afternoon she goes to a state sale in the house of a famous actor who has recently passed away and she discovers a letter. And from there the story progresses as she tries to connect the pieces and find out more about the life of this actor and the mystery behind the letter. I loved the friendship aspect and how it didn't magically fade away when the main character started to fall in love (I hate when authors do that). But one of the highlights of this book for me was how the author portraits Emi's sexuality. I feel like when books have gay characters they are either complete stereotypes or their sexuality is their main personality trait, which is never the case with heterosexual characters. But with Emi the fact that she's a lesbian is just a given thing and it's not the main thing that defines her. 

Eleonor & Park - Rainbow Rowell // This book is hard to describe and it's extremely heart-breaking. I know this is about Eleonor and Park, but Eleonor steals the spotlight. I love how strong she is and how she tries to make the best out her situation. I even sympathized with her mom at the end, even though she was a terrible mother. This book is not your cheesy and quick YA read, get ready to feel all the feels. 


These are all the books I'm going to talk about today. I hope you've enjoyed this post! I wanted to make it into a discussion, so please feel free to join in on the comments. Let us know some of the books written by women that have inspired you or that you just think more people should know about. As you can see, I read a lot of fiction so if you have any non-fiction books to share that'd be even better. I think celebrating the work of other women is extremely important, we need to have each others back!

What are some of the books that have inspired you?
Do you have any authors to share with us?

Let's hang some more!

Thanks so much for reading and come back soon!


  



No comments:

Post a Comment