pages

March 30, 2017

The Perks of Being a Vegetarian.

letmecrossover_blogger_blog_michele_mattos_veggie_vegetarian_vegan_veganism_vegetables_healthy_recipes_nomeat_cruelty_free_animal_testing_love_animals_low_calorie_weight_skinny_thin_loose_high_low_fat_carb_avocado
 Heeeello, everyone!

I hope you're all having a great week so far! If you're currently following me on instagram you probably already know that, as always, I've been super incredibly busy and whenever my schedule gets crazy like that, blogging is the first thing to go on the backseat and I'm so sorry about that. I love blogging, but this is a hobby to me and sometimes life gets in the way.  Anyway, I'm super excited for today's post! I've been wanting to talk to you guys more about becoming a vegetarian and how everything has been working out for me for a while now.

If you're new here, you can check out this post where I talk all about why I've decided to become a vegetarian and how I started the transition. But, to sum it all up, I became a vegetarian because of the planet and all the animal cruelty behind it. I couldn't contribute to the meat industry after everything I've learned through watching documentaries and reading articles. Having said all of that, I don't think it's morally wrong to eat animals. Animals eat each other on the wild and there's nothing wrong with that. My problem is the meat industry and the whole process, resources that go into it and the animal cruelty behind it. 

I think it's important to see this life change as a positive thing and focus on the stuff that you're gaining and not what you're "loosing" - I'm using quotation marks because I don't think you're loosing anything. This is not about depriving yourself of anything, it's just about choosing to live a more healthy and conscious lifestyle.     
letmecrossover_blogger_blog_michele_mattos_veggie_vegetarian_vegan_veganism_vegetables_healthy_recipes_nomeat_cruelty_free_animal_testing_love_animals_low_calorie_weight_skinny_thin_loose_high_low_fat_carb_avocado_fruit_fruits_vegetables_banana_coconut_cherry_banana_eggplant
ONE // Weight Loss. 

This is one of the first things I've noticed, but don't expect to see a super drastic change right from the start. In the first weeks, my weight fluctuated a lot. I think it was because my body was adjusting to the new diet, the huge amount of fiber I was ingesting and the decrease in animal protein or whatever it is your body does - clearly, I'm not a doctor. I didn't go vegetarian to loose weight, but it was a good side effect. Just keep in mind that you can still be overweight and not eat animal meat or animal products.

TWO // Saving Money. 
Animal meat is not as expensive here in Brazil as I know it can be in other countries, but I still see a big difference in my budget. I have a mostly plant-based diet, but I still consume cheese and butter. I think it's obvious that 1 kg of apples is far cheaper than 1 kg of meat, but it still chocks me to see the difference at the end of each month. This perk also applies to eating out. Usually, the meatless plates are cheaper than the ones with meat, however I still think the majority of them are overpriced. But, in my opinion, you need to focus on your health - a salad can still be expensive, but it's better to spend money on food that's going to make you healthier, even if you think it's overpriced.  

THREE // Health. 
I can't list here all the health benefits of not eating meat, because I honestly don't know them. But, I', 100% sure you can find endless articles and good information on the internet about it. I don't want to make any statements here, but from what I've found during my research phase is that meat is never, in any quantity, a healthy source of anything. You don't need meat   as a source of protein, iron or whatever bullshit your mom tells you.
Now, I'm not judging. If you want to eat meat, it's your choice. You body, your choice and all that good stuff. I'm just saying that you don't necessarily have to do it or that it's healthy. But hey, I still eat Nutella and corn bread and they're not healthy at all.
I've also noticed that I've been getting sick less. I used to be one of those people that always had a cold or stomach problems, but ever since becoming a vegetarian I haven't gotten sick yet. Maybe it's just luck or something, but maybe it isn't!    

FOUR // Better Skin.  
I know a lot of people say that by eating a more plant-based diet or just eliminating meat from their diets, their skin cleared up and now they're glowing. But, to be honest, I didn't buy it. I thought it was just something people say to get you to go vegan, but it's actually true. Who would have thought, right? I'm not glowing, but I do see a different. I get less break outs on my face and I've noticed that my skin is evening itself out. Nothing major, but I do see a difference. I don't know how to explain it, but I feel like my face is slowly becoming more even in color. 

FIVE // Less time at the gym. 

Meat is high in calories and fat and the more eat it, the more calories you're intaking and the more time you'll need at the gym. But that's totally up to you. If you don't care about working out or whatever, it's all good!

SIX // Saving animals. 
If you're not eating them, you're definitely helping their whole staying alive thing and not being tortured or raised in small areas just so they can get big and fat and die. And even if you're buying cage-free and all that happy stuff they put on the packaging, animals are still dying and I'm particularly not ok with that, specially when there's no reason for this to happen.  

SEVEN // Helping the planet. 
Now, this is something I think everyone should worry about. The meat industry is one of the main reasons for deforestation and water pollution. It uses a ridiculous amount of resources and it's plain out bad for the environment. And we kind of need trees and water to stay alive and all that, so.. The meat industry is not very good.

EIGHT // Eyeopening side effects  
Becoming a vegetarian opened my eyes to a lot of stuff, like minimalism, the amount of waste I produce and how my everyday actions affect the world around me. It's weird to think that, these are all things that I had never thought about and how important they are. I think nowadays it's extremely easy to loose sight of what's really important and how our actions have much bigger side effects than we're able to grasp. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that, all of this made me realize that we're all part of the bigger picture and how my everyday actions affect the world in a large scale, like the butterfly effect: you through a plastic bag in the trash but you don't realize that that plastic bag can actually kill a dolphin or a turtle when it ends up in the ocean. 

NINE // Feeling in control. 
Taking charge of your diet and being conscious of what you're putting into your body is very empowering. It gives you a sense of control over your life and your healthy in a crazy world where, if we're bing honest, we can actually control very little of what happens to us. It gives me a sense of purpose, like I'm doing that's not only good for my health but also for the world.  

TEN // Fun.
So far, being a vegetarian has been quite fun. I'm trying out different restaurants, different foods and different recipes. For someone who enjoys change and cooking, this has been really good to me. It's important to see vegetarianism as a positive thing, not a way to deprive yourself of anything. I don't deprive myself of going out to eat, even if I know the place doesn't have good vegetarian alternatives. I always menage to get around that.   

Having said all of that, I just want to add that these are all my thoughts and things I've experienced myself. We're all different and maybe what I've been going through is totally different than what you're going through as a vegetarian, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I'm also not a doctor or a nutritionist, all these information I'm sharing here I've found on the internet, reading articles and watching videos (which I know are not the best sources of information sometimes). I do what feels right and I encourage you do so. If it works for you, who am I to judge right?!

Are you also a vegetarian?
Do you have anything to add?
Do you agree or disagree?  


Let's hang some more!

Thanks so much for stopping by and come back soon!


letmecrossover_blogger_blog_michele_mattos_veggie_vegetarian_vegan_veganism_vegetables_healthy_recipes_nomeat_cruelty_free_animal_testing_love_animals_low_calorie_weight_skinny_thin_loose_high_low_fat_carb_avocado

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that you can shorten your long urls with LinkShrink and get money for every click on your short links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Diet Taps into Innovative Plan to Help Dieters LOSE 20 Pounds in Just 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...