pages

April 27, 2017

Reading Wrap-Up // April, 2017.

It's that time of the month again!

I've been doing my Reading Wrap-Ups a little earlier these past few months and, to be honest, I don't have a good reason why. One month I decided to write it a bit earlier and I guess it stuck. Anyway, this month I did sooooo well with my reading and I'm soooo happy about it. I read nine books! NINE! The curse is broken, the reading slump is over and I'm back to full force. I like to keep track of the books I'm reading because it's a way to keep track of my life. I love reading and whenever I read a smaller amount of books in a month it's always because there's something going on in my life that has been demanding more  of my attention. And I like to take this time to look back and try to figure out what it is. 

If it's because of work, school or something like that than it's fine. But, if it's because I've been spending too much time watching Netflix or wasting time on Youtube, than these are habits I definitely want to change. I don't know if that made any sense... I consider reading a productive hobby, a way to relax but still accomplish something, you know? Anyway, like I said I read 9 books this month but I'm only talking about 8 here because one was for a course I'm taking and I don't think you guys want me to talk about the Vietnamese Revolution over here on the blog, even though it's quite interesting! 
blogger_letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_cynthia_hand_the_last_time_we_say_goodbye_suicide_books_book_trigger_warning




The Last Time We Say Goodbye - Cynthia Hand // Well, this book was a big let down. I thought it was going to be a cute YA Romance, but it's something completely different. The main reason why I didn't like it was because there was a lot of internal monologue about the main character figuring out her feelings and remembering the past and, to me, that's just boring. I found myself glazing over some parts and literally skipping a couple of pages. This is about a girl whose brother commits suicide and about how her family and herself are dealing with it. I know it's an important topic, but the storyline was a little boring and I didn't really connect with the main character.  

Behind Close Doors - B. A. Paris // Soooooo good! This is suspense/thriller about a woman who appears to have the perfect partner, the perfect marriage and the perfect life. As the story unfolds we realize that things are not how they seem to be. I listened to the audiobook and it was amazing. I loved the suspense, I had no idea how things were going to end and I really loved the ending. If you're looking for something in the suspense genre, I would highly recommend this one.    

Paper Princess - Erin Watt // I extremely disliked this book. It was completely unrealistic and a lot of times I found myself rolling my eyes and thinking "really?". This was about a young girl whose mom dies and she never met her dad, but then she discovers her dad is dead and his best friend tracks her down and brings her to live with him. He has 5 kids and they all look like greek gods. I think that the relationships in this book are all extremely dysfunctional and most times abusive. Dads don't start to have sex in the table while their kids are eating with them and you shouldn't fall in love with a guy that literally threatens to rape you. I felt like the authors (there are two authors writing under the name of Erin Watt) were trying to make me feel ok with abusive relationships and portraying them as love or like it's not a big deal. And the ending is just ridiculous, they practically ended the book in the middle of a scene just so you go and buy the next one. I really disliked it and I would recommend it to anyone.  

The Lost Hero - Rick Riordan // I listened to the audiobook for this one and I liked it. I picked it up because I needed an audiobook and because I wanted to read something from Rick Riordan. The story is good, the characters are all great and the writing is really fast paced and funny. I just don't think this book was written for readers like me. It felt very middle-school and I'm just not that interested in greek or roman mythology. I felt like the author just doesn't want to let this story/world go and he keeps writing books with similar storylines. I was over this world at the end of the Percy Jackson saga. But, it was still a solid book. I won't keep going with the series, though. 

The Grownup - Gilliam Flynn // This was scary. I picked this one up because I wanted a quick read to keep up with my Reading Challenge. I loved the story, the writing and the characters. My only problem with this was the price, if I'm not mistaken I paid 10 dollars for this on my Kindle app and it's only 100-something pages, 10 dollars is the price of a book and I felt like this was a way for the author to make some money while she doesn't release a new book. I would suggest borrowing this or looking it up on your library if you're interested. It's a good story, I just don't think you need to pay 10 dollars to read it. 

13 Reasons Why - Jay Asher // So many feeling and emotions! I want to write a separate post all about it because I think that's an important topic and I have a lot to say about it. But, to sum it all up, I loved it. Really, really loved. This story touched me in so many levels and it really made me think about my life and how my actions affect other people. This book is a masterpiece, it's fast paced, the writing is amazing and the characters are really well constructed. I would recommend this to everyone that is not trigged by suicide and rape - just keep in mind that it does deal with bullying and the scenes are very graphic.   

The Fill-In Boyfriend - Kasie West // This book was the cutest thing ever. I've been wanting read more Kasie West ever since and if this book is any indication of how her other books are, I'm totally in. This is everything I'm looking for in a YA romance, it was fluffy, cute and easy to read. This is about a girl who is having problems with her friends and her boyfriend ditches her in the parking lot before entering her prom. She doesn't want to be seen as liar, so she asks a random guy to pretend to be her boyfriend just for one night and you can pretty much where this is going, right?! 


Those are the books I read in April! I know I got a couple of duds in there, but I'm mostly happy with my reading this month, not only with the quantity but also the quality. If you couldn't tell 13 Reasons Why blew my mind and I'm so happy I read it before watching the show. If you have any recommendations of books you think I might enjoy let me know on the comments! 

Which books did you read this month?!

Let's hang some more!

Thanks so much for stopping by and come back soon! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...