pages

July 19, 2017

10 Things I've Learned About Myself Through Project Panning.

Heeello, everyone!

Ever since I've started my minimalism and decluterring journey (you can read all about it here), my makeup collection has been the hardest thing for me to downsize. I know I can't possibly use up every product I have, but I hate the thought of just throwing it out or giving it to people I'm not extremely close with (like my mom or my sister), so it's been more than a year and I still haven't figured out what to do with it. 

A temporary solution I've found was protect panning, which is just focusing on a set amount of products until you've hit pan on them or used them up completely. I've been doing it for months now and it's been a process. As most you already know this, but using up a product takes forever and when you've been using the same product every single day you kinda get really tired of it and you just want to toss it across the room (Oh, no you don't? That's just me? OK). 

Anyway, like I've said, I've been project panning for a while now and I would really recommend doing it if you've come to the point where you have no idea what to do with so much makeup. I've learned a lot about myself and my makeup habits by just focusing on what I already have and not adding anything new. I've discovered old favorites and I've realized that I don't use half of the things that I thought were staples in my collection, like red lipstick and eyeliner! 
ONE// I don't need backups. 
This is number one for a reason. I used to be one of those people that if I liked a product, I would run back to the store and buy more of it because I was scared of running out. And honestly, that's quite stupid.. If you use up a lipstick (which will probably take months or years) and it's discontinued, look for a similar one from a different brand. The market is full of dupes and I'm sure you'll be able to find something extremely similar. And if all goes wrong and you can't, it's not the end of the world. Brands are constantly coming out with different products, I'm sure you won't really miss that one specific shade that much. And also, chances are all of your backups are just growing old in your collection like mine.. When was the last time you've actually needed a backup?!  

TWO // I use way less makeup than I thought I did. 
I'm not one of those people that wears makeup everyday. I don't even get out of the house everyday so there's literally no point of me having the amount of makeup I do. We are tricked or we trick ourselves into buying all sorts of makeup products for different occasions that we really don't need. If I'm being honest with myself, I don't need makeup for days when I don't want to wear any because guess what?! When I don't want to wear makeup, I just don't. I don't need light weight BB Creams (don't even get me started with bb creams) and tinted lip balms with a hint of color... When I wear makeup, I kinda want it to show up. 

THREE // I takes a VERY long time to use up a product. 
This sounds like common sense to everyone, but I'm talking years here, maybe more. Well, if you've had a product for more than a year, it's probably time to throw it away but you get where I'm going with this. You'd think I would have figured this out sooner, like before buying all that crap, but I didn't so I'm passing this knowledge to you (that's irony if you didn't get it). 

FOUR // Ingredients matter.
I used to be completely clueless to this, but a lot of brands use very shitty ingredients. And this applies to most brands, even high end ones. If I'm applying something all over my face, very close to my eyes and on my mouth, it's probably a good idea to know what's in it.

FIVE // Going cruelty-free is easier than I thought.
I thought going cruelty-free was going to be one of the hardest things ever and that I would have very small options. Boy, was I wrong! A lot of big brands I love like elf, Wet'nWild and NYX are cruelty-free and have amazing products. Caring about animal testing does limit your options, but it's extremely easy to be done! The hard thing is actually using up all the products that are not cruelty-free from your collection, you can see my struggle every month when I share my empties

SIX // I never wear liquid eyeliner.
I mean, who knew?! Actually, I should have known since I'm the one wasting all my money on makeup I don't wear. I know this is very specific to me and you might wear eyeliner everyday, but I think we can all agree that we have products we've bought because we thought we needed. And, sadly, the only way to really know is by trial and error, but I think we can all be more mindful of the things we're spending our money on. I literally have three liquid eyeliners, all high end, that I have no idea what I'm going to do with since they're too old to give it to people and too expensive to just throw out.    

SEVEN // I've wasted a lot of money on makeup I don't use or don't even like. 
Here's a cautionary tale for you: liquid lipsticks, bright eyeshadows and colorful eyeliners.. All things I've bought multiples of, all things I don't really like or use. I mean, I like them in theory and in other people, but I don't use them nearly enough to justify having them in my collection. I think I've worn colorful eyeliner once this year. 

EIGHT // If I don't enjoy using it, I don't need it. 
We all have that one product we really hate using and that we can't throw away because it was expansive or because we love the packaging or anything like that. What I've realized is that, for me, makeup should be fun and something I enjoy doing. It's not just the products or the end result, it's the process so if I dread using a product, it really negates the whole purpose. Life is already too stressful to deal with makeup products you don't like. And the best way to find out if you really hate a product, it's by putting it in a project pan.  

NINE // I hate BB Creams.
I've come to the conclusion that BB Creams don't do anything for me, they're just a way for brands to sell overpriced tinted moisturizers in cute packaging. In my case, I already apply sunscreen every single day, I have no problem with it.. It's like engraved in my brain: wash face, apply sunscreen. So, whenever I want light coverage I can just mix in my regular foundation with my sunscreen or apply a powder foundation on top. There's literally no need for BB Creams cause let's face it, they don't really do all the things they claim like fighting wrinkles and all that jazz.   

TEN // If you don't like it at the store, you definitely won't like it at home.
This was a hard lesson for me to learn. I'm a justifier, if I really want a product I can come up with a million reasons to buy it and trick myself into it.. I should be sales person, really. For example, if I really want a palette but I know I'll only wear five of the shades, I can justify buying it by convincing myself I can find ways to wear the rest of the shades at home. But, if I'm being honest here, the store is the place where things most appeal to you. The packaging, the placing of the product and the display it's in.. Everything is thought out to make you buy the product. So, if even then you can't think of ways to use the product, you won't find them at home when you're getting ready late for work or meeting your friends. I know it's true, you know it's true, so we need to stop tricking ourselves.  


That's all for today, friends! I hope you've enjoyed the post and got inspired to start a project pan or maybe just focus on the things you already have. Let me know on the comments your thoughts on project panning and downsizing your makeup. Any tips are also much appreciated. 

Have you ever done a Project Pan?
What's the one item you've bought multiples of, but don't really use?!

Let's chat!

Thanks so much for reading and come back soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment