pages

July 27, 2017

BOOKS // Monthly Wrap-Up // July, 2017.

What's up, everyone?!

Where's the time going?! What's going on? JULY IS ALMOST OVER! I mean, seriously.. something is up with the time because July flew by! Nevertheless, I managed to read 4 books this month.. crazy, right?! I was incredibly busy with life in general like always, studying like a maniac, but somehow the reading gods helped me out and I did it! And also, the books I chose for this month were all pretty great! I feel like reading wise, I haven't been having the best month and I don't know why.. maybe I was just picking the wrong books to read, but not this month!

I've finally read a classic! I've been telling myself I should read more classics and it's actually one of my Reading Resolutions for 2017, but I just didn't get around to it until this month and I loved the one I picked, which is getting me motivated to pick another one for August. I also finally got around to reading a book that has been sitting on my Kindle for ages and I honestly thought I would never get around to it - best feeling ever, right?! I know July is not over yet, but I'm sure won't be finishing another book anytime soon, so I thought I would get a jumpstart on this wrap-up!
letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_blogger_blospot_reading_books_wrap_up_wrapup_joyride_anna_banks_cute_cover_YA_romance_young_adult_diverse_boy_girlletmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_blogger_blospot_reading_books_wrap_up_wrapup_it's_kind_of_a_funny_story_ned_vizzini_mental_health_anxiety_suicide_depression_mental_hospital_young_adult_YA_se_enlouquecer_não_se_apaixone_maps_cover_currently_reading_book_books
letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_blogger_blospot_reading_books_wrap_up_wrapup_pride_and_prejudice_orgulho_e_preconceito_jane_Austen_classic_classics_cover_barnes and nobles_romance_movie_book_books_haul_letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_blogger_blospot_reading_books_wrap_up_wrapup_before_the_fall_plane_crash_bestseller_national_noah_hawley_review_goodreads_coveR_sea
It's Kind of a Funny Story - Ned Vizzini // First book I read this month and I loved it so much! It's waaaay better than I was expecting. I've seen the movie before and I really disliked the book, but a lot of people online were recommending this as a good book for people struggling with their mental health and anxiety (ME!), so I decided to give it go. I loved this book from the start, the wiring is amazing and the author is incredibly funny. The main character was extremely relatable and sometimes it felt like he was describing exactly what I was feeling. The book is mainly about a teenage boy who studies really hard to get into a very prestigious school, and when he finally gets in her starts to deal with severe anxiety and depression, which leads him to check himself into a mental hospital. Honestly, I loved everything about it. I loved the way it shows how hard it is to explain to people (even parents and close friends) what your going through when it comes to mental health and how some people just don't get it, the way it's also extremely hard to accept your own issues and take some time out to deal with them. I also loved how all the other characters were unique and that, even though it talks about a very serious topic, I found myself laughing out loud while reading it. My heart broke a little when, after reading it, I found out the story is loosely based on the author's life and how he committed suicide not a long time ago. This book is a masterpiece and the ending was fantastic. I would HIGHLY recommend this to ANYONE, specially if you're going through a hard time with depression and anxiety (like me). 

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen // Another amazing book! I can't believe it took me this long to read this book, seriously. I'm not gonna explain the plot because it's a classic and you all should at least know what's it about, but I will say that it's sooo good, waaaaay better than I was expecting it. Since it's a classic, the English was a bit hard to understand at times, specially if English is not your first language like in my case (I'm Brazilian), but nothing major or anything like that. The plot is amazing and the characters are so unique and interesting! This made me want to take a English literature class so much! Needless to say, this gets 10 out of 10 and I'll definitely will be reading more Jane Austen for sure!

Joyride - Anna Banks // This is the book that has been sitting on my Kindle for ages, collecting digital dust and mocking me for not getting to it every month. I got this after reading Of Poseidon from the same author (read my thoughts here) - I kinda enjoyed the writing on that one, but not the plot about mermaids and all that. So, I wanted to try something else from this author and I picked up Joyride. The cover is gorgeous and tbh that's what really made me buy it in the first place. The book itself was good, but not great. I loved the fact that it portrays so much diversity, which is something I wasn't expecting from an YA novel and it's really awesome - we need more diversity in YA, that's for sure! I disliked some parts and some characters, but nothing major or that made me stop reading it. It was good and if you're already a fan of Anna Banks I would totally recommend reading it. If you're not a fan of YA, stay away - this has all the typical YA romance cliches. I like YA and I like YA cliches, so I'm giving this a 3.5/5.    

Before the Fall - Noah Hawley // This book is everywhere. I think it was a NYT bestseller or something like that and everyone has been reading it and recommending it on social media. This is usually not the type of book I go for and I'm not a big fan of reading about planes crashing since that's literally my worst fear, despite all that.. I really enjoyed it! The writing is what really sold me on it, and although I didn't like most of the characters, I really enjoy the main one. It was a fast read for me and I enjoyed the mystery vibes, but this doesn't have a big plot twist or anything like that, which is something I really missed and that I feel like it's really important on books like this one. Not the best, but definitely not the worst! I give this 3/5. 


Those are all the books I read this month! As you can see, I've had a great reading month and now I'm super pumped to read more in August. My next TBR will be up next week for those of you who actually enjoy reading those - they are not my most read posts, but I really enjoy writing them! If you'd like to keep up with my reading you can follow me on GoodReads so we can be reading buddies and you can keep up with my Reading Challenge (spoiler alert: I'm not killing it!)


What are you currently reading?!
What's your favorite Jane Austen novel?!
Do you have any books recommendations?!

Let's chat!

Thanks so much for reading and come back soon!

letmecrossover_blog_michele_mattos_blogger_blospot_reading_books_wrap_up_wrapup_blogueira_livros_brasileira_brazilian



No comments:

Post a Comment