pages

July 5, 2017

Favorite Documentaries About Food + Health.

Ever since becoming a vegetarian (January 2nd, 2017), I've been doing a lot of research on what I should be eating, like how much protein, carbs, fats and vitamins I actually need to be healthy. I've kinda always known meat wasn't the best choice (for my body and for the environment), but I had no idea how to make a whole meal out of fruits and vegetables. I'm not one of those people that considers a bowl of fruit a meal (no shame, just not for me), so I really some help in that department. I thought stopping eating meat would be the hardest part, but actually replacing the meat with healthy alternatives was waaaay harder. 

These documentaries really helped me to better educate myself in nutrition and they gave a better understanding of what is actually healthy and what isn't. I don't know about you, but I grew up thinking milk and meat were the way to go if you needed calcium and protein. I thought eating fish was the pinnacle of health and I had no idea lettuce actually did anything in your body. I know.. I was pretty clueless when it came to nutrition. I'm not saying documentaries replace proper education or anything like that, but they do help. One of the high points of these documentaries I chose is that some of them don't really feel like documentaries - they pretty fun and fast paced. So, if you're stuck on what to watch tonight maybe this post will help you out! 

And the best part is, all of them are available on Netflix!
letmecrossover_blog_blogger_blogpost_michele_mattos_cowspiracy_veggie_vegan_vegetarian_veganism_no_meat_netflix_fruits_plant
Cowspiracy // I feel like this is the go-to documentary for people starting out on a plant-based diet. I'm gonna tell you what I usually tell all of my friends: if you're not planning on cutting out meat from your diet, don't watch it. Once you watch this, you can't go back to not knowing the effect animal meat has on your body and on the environment, so you'll just feel bad about yourself every time you eat it. In my opinion, knowing all this information only benefits people that want to change, because you'll only really take action if you want to.. I don't think a documentary will do it for you, but it does wonders for people that are already on the right track and just need that final push.
This is one of my favorites because it doesn't focus only on healthy or the environment, it kinda shows you everything together, which I think sends the message that all of this is connected. You can't think about deforestation and other climate changes without acknowledging the affect our habits have on the world. I loved this one so much and if you only have time to watch one, this is the way to go! 
You can check out their website here!
letmecrossover_blog_blogger_blogpost_michele_mattos_cowspiracy_veggie_vegan_vegetarian_veganism_no_meat_netflix_fruits_plant_watermelon_benefits_apple_apples_coconut_oil_fed_up_food_matters_review_youtube_youtuber_youtubers_famous
Food Matters // This one also focuses on the power of nutrition and how it is possible to cure certain health problems by changing your diet. It highlights the fact that a lot of doctors out there know very little about nutrition and can't really help out their patients when it comes to taking a more natural route. Just like the other ones, it talks about the fact that most westerns diets suck and also the fact that modern agricultural methods are really bad for us and the environment. I've seen a lot of negative reviews about this documentary... It's not the best one out there, but I still thought it was pretty good. 
You can check out their website here!
letmecrossover_blog_blogger_blogpost_michele_mattos_cowspiracy_veggie_vegan_vegetarian_veganism_no_meat_netflix_fruits_plant_watermelon_benefits_apple_apples_coconut_oil_fed_up_food_matters_review_youtube_youtuber_youtubers_famous
Fed Up // This one focuses more on the political side of things and the nutrition problems in America, like childhood obesity and the way the American congress addresses these issues. I'm not American, but I still learned a lot from this one! It mainly touches on relearning what's actually good for you, making better food choices and learning to read food labels (which, let's be honest, we don't always do it) to check the amount of sugar and fat we're putting into our bodies.  
letmecrossover_blog_blogger_blogpost_michele_mattos_cowspiracy_veggie_vegan_vegetarian_veganism_no_meat_netflix_fruits_plant_watermelon_benefits_apple_apples_coconut_oil_fed_up_food_matters_review_youtube_youtuber_youtubers_famous
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead // This one focuses mainly on juicing and dieting.  I don't think you have to go on a major juice fast in order to loose weight or be healthy, actually those can be quite dangerous if you don't have the right information, but this documentary does have very good insight about healthy. This time we follow a guy that has a lot of health issues (like high cholesterol levels, heart problems and all that shitty stuff) as he attempts to fix his problems with healthy foods. 

That's it for today, guys! Let me know on the comments if you've ever watched any of these and what's your favorite one. If you're only going to watch one of these, I'd suggest Cowspiracy, which is by far my favorite, but the others are also very good! I'm obsessed with documentaries, so any recommendations you'll be much appreciated! 

Do you enjoy watching documentaries?
What's your favorite?
Did anybody else get hungry after reading this?

Let's hang some more!

Thanks so much for reading and come back soon!

ps: I swear Netflix is not sponsoring me, I just really love it!
letmecrossover_blog_blogger_blogpost_michele_mattos_cowspiracy_veggie_vegan_vegetarian_veganism_no_meat_netflix_fruits_plant_watermelon_benefits_apple_apples_coconut_oil_fed_up_food_matters_review_youtube_youtuber_youtubers_famous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...